Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party > Recipes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715
Default Re: Pittsburgh Style Steak question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ive never heard of this.

i grill steak about 2X a week. i like mine flame burnt to a crisp on the outside and hot, pink, and juicy on the inside (just like my women).

however its hard to get this perfect on a grill.

can these be done on a conventional gas stovetop? is the iron skillet a must? you just cook it on each side til its burnt?
any particular style or thickness of steaks? i usually have new yorks.
You could do it on any heat surface. You need to get a skillet, melting plate or something you can get super hot. Maybee put a little olive oil on it so it doesnt stick. Once it is hot you drop the steak on it. You could use a new york strip steak but it would be a little harder to keep together. We did it with Sirloin's or Fillets. The thicker the steak you get the easier it will be to keep the inside pinker and juicier. This is just personal preferance but to thin your just gonna end up with a burnt medium done steak.

I like new york too but because of the strip in it the outsides tend to cook up a little bit more. Sirloins work good for this and obviously filet mignion is the best. A skillet will work it might be a little harder to get the whole thing really hot. We used a gas stove to do this. A grill is actually a little harder. In the restaurant we used a melting plate like the thing in the picture. Just the metal part on the wood not the whole thing. Anything like that will work. I never tried a skillet i guess it could work. Some people like to put cajun or blackening season on it. This is a blackened steak not really a Pittsburgh style but the same basic concept when cooking it. Just a variation to try from the marinade. let me know how this works out. Maybee ill make a little cooking video emerill style for you guys.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,298 Times in 647 Posts

Tony, I grill too around 4-5 times a week and remember seeing a recipe somewhere for "blackened steak" using a blackened spice and a really hot cast iron fry pan. I think it was in the BBQ-U book by Steven Raichlen.

This sounds cool and I am gonna marinate up a couple sirloins this weekend and have a big ol cast iron fry pan that I use for camping to sear it up.

Never really a fan of pan frying a steak, but what better occasion to do a Pittsburgh Style. Thanks for the info Steelcurtain!!
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

No problem man. If you like a rare steak this is the way to do it up. Whenever people would order one at the restaurant we knew that they had some BALLS. GO STEELERS!

If you are a fan of tuna blackened tuna is AMAZING if you can find a good piece of tuna.

I like to make cook chicken off on a grill than blacken it with cajun powder and put in like a rice or even make it into a wrap.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
No problem man. If you like a rare steak this is the way to do it up. Whenever people would order one at the restaurant we knew that they had some BALLS. GO STEELERS!

If you are a fan of tuna blackened tuna is AMAZING if you can find a good piece of tuna.

I like to make cook chicken off on a grill than blacken it with cajun powder and put in like a rice or even make it into a wrap.
I love tuna..unfortunantly there is not a good seafood place in my area, otherwise I would eat it more often.

I like your chicken idea..sounds delicious...I love making chicken salads a lot...could fix the chicken the way you do and then put it in the salad along with some homemade french fries....yum!!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post

Yeah, I love Tuna. Also did some bacon wrapped, blackened scallops on the grill a few weeks back. Love me some blackened or cajun spice. Like to do a memphis rub on my chicken.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498

That steak sounds awesome!!

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, I love Tuna. Also did some bacon wrapped, blackened scallops on the grill a few weeks back. Love me some blackened or cajun spice. Like to do a memphis rub on my chicken.
Bacon wrapped scallops..sounds delicious!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

OK Steeler fans......gotta say Super Bowl #6 was sweeter with my steak!!!

I did the marinade and it was tasty. Seared the steak on the cast iron and it was good. Ate about half of it and felt better finishing it up on the grill..........I like my beef medium and that thing said Moooooo! to me. Strange fear of ecoli that I have.

I encourage you to try it out. It was a good marinade and all I would do is maybe cook it a bit longer on the cast iron pan.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I found this:

[B]PITTSBURGH-STYLE STEAK

This regional favourite began in the steel mills when the practice of the workers was to cook a steak on a cooling piece of steel. Marinate your steaks in tomato juice, stout beer, Heinz 57 steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and black pepper.
That sounds good I am going to have to try it.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
M1JAM
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13113

"Pittsburgh Rare" -- you should be abl e to order it this way in any good steak restaurant. It means BLACK on the outside and RED (not gold) on the inside. Red as in rare. Not pink
M1JAM is offline   Reply With Quote