Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Wow! Just wow! REALLY hypocritical of the left...

Correction: Most of the costs SHOULD be privately funded. BUT we have a 110 million deficit running right now for Obama.

And the whole "Bush's funds were bribes" is the biggest crock of shit I've heard yet. I can sort of buy "Security costs are higher because of more people" but to claim that Bush is corrupt because his inauguartion was actually paid for and Obama is clean because he can't raise the 4X more than normal for his inauguration is beyond ridiculous. Democratic money is clean and Republican is dirty? Really? C'mon, you're sharper than that...

Again, my main problem is this "What's good for the goose is NOT good for the gander" mentality the Dems have. They rip up Bush for 40, and claim that 150 is somehow a good thing, and they can't even get the private funds to pay for it!

It's shameful, and this weak and pathetic spin makes it even more ironic, even more hypocritical, even more pitiful.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Im tired of all this Obama horseshit. They act like this guy can do no wrong and Bush was a horrible man. They are turning the Presidency into a joke. Its not about politics anymore its image and looking good. The man hasnt said one damn thing I support yet. Thank god Glenn Beck is back on tv and can spread the voice of REAL AMERICANS. 150 million dollars for this???? I wonder how much of that privately funded money came for the Middle East and terrorist supporters???? The man is shady and that got looked over cause no one wanted another Republican. In less then 2 hours I will support the new President but I dont have to like it or him. And another thing Im pissed off about...while Im trying not to sound like a racist but I understand the significance of today I dont want it shoved down my throat. Its great and all but when you shove stuff like that down peoples throats that my friends creates racism. Here is another thing for ya...the economy is in such shambles and the Republicans get blame for it how about these lil facts for ya.....While the economy was tanking it was under a DEMOCRAT CONTROLLED Congress. Your DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT Bill Clinton gave huge corporations TAX BREAK TO SHIP JOBS OVER SEAS!!!!!! Look it up its all true. Bush may have got us into a war but at least its on the other side of the world and not here. He did the best he could with the resources given.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
But but but....Sarah Palin's wardrobe cost X amount, even though it was auctioned off!

Exactly. Boo Hoo.

I am enjoying today, it's an end to an error.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Exactly. Boo Hoo.

It will be interesting to see just how many of Bush's "failed policies" Obama keeps on. He's already flipped on a bunch. He's staying in Iraq. Wire taps. He's all over Afghanistan.

This is the harsh reality of leading: It's easy to toss rocks but, as he's quickly finding out, he lived in a glass house himself. His simple idealistic view of the World is changing FAST.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #25
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,252 Times in 2,298 Posts

I personally love how he's being compared to Lincoln with out doing a eff'n thing yet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #26
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Here's my real problem with all this. I get it. Obama is a galvanizing figure for many. It's a historic day. Security needs to be higher. Whatever...

But DON'T make a big deal out of Bush's PRIVATELY FUNDED inauguration (and make no mistake about it, the Dems were purposelly trying to mislead the general public into thinking it was taxpayer money being "wasted") then turn around and run up the credit card bill 4 years later and act like nothing is wrong.

It's disingenuous.
Quoted. For. Truth.

ALL HAIL THE OBAMESSIAH!!!!!!!!!!!
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It will be interesting to see just how many of Bush's "failed policies" Obama keeps on. He's already flipped on a bunch. He's staying in Iraq. Wire taps. He's all over Afghanistan.

This is the harsh reality of leading: It's easy to toss rocks but, as he's quickly finding out, he lived in a glass house himself. His simple idealistic view of the World is changing FAST.
Good, salient points.

I almost predict that Alan Moore's scenario of V For Vendetta will come true with this man. Only it won't be some far-right fascist state in place...it will emanate from the Left.
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I'm not nearly that extreme in my outlook. I'm merely pointing out that, like the boiling frog, slowly, over time, the Obama Administration will realize that Bush wasn't quite the idiot they underestimated him to be. They were too extreme in their criticism, and only now, after moving into office and having the big picture revealed will they understand that some tough (and unpopular) choices that were already made will need to be maintained.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #29
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Yeah hypocrsy:

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...ly_cost_4.html

January 21, 2009
Updated: January 23, 2009
Q:

Did Barack Obama's inauguration really cost 4 times as much as George Bush's 2005 inauguration?
There seems to be a lot of sloppy reporting about the total cost of the Obama inauguration vs. the Bush inauguration that is being used for partisan attacks. I've heard $160 million for Obama vs. 40 million + for Bush. I've also heard Bush's 2005 inauguration was really $157 million. What are the facts?
A:

Claims of a huge disparity are untrue. Actually, an apples-to-apples comparison shows that the two inaugurations likely cost about the same.
For much of the past week, several right-leaning news sites have compared an estimated $160 million price tag for Barack Obama's 2009 inauguration to a $42 million tally for George W. Bush's 2005 inauguration. For example, Newsmax reported that Obama's inauguration "will be the most expensive ever" with a cost "nearly four times what George Bush's inauguration cost four years ago." And Fox News' Sean Hannity told viewers that "the cost of Obama's inaugural will dwarf past celebrations and make those of President Bush's look like budget bashes."

They're wrong. They've misinterpreted mainstream news accounts from the Associated Press, ABC News and the New York Times, among others. The AP and ABC News both report that Obama's inauguration could cost between $160 and $170 million, while Bush raised a net total of $42.3 million to cover the costs of his inauguration, according the New York Times and others, based on the report Bush's committee filed with the Federal Election Commission a few months after the event. But those aren't direct comparisons; the Obama estimates include the cost of security, while the figure for Bush's inauguration does not.

Inauguration costs are divided up into two categories. In one category is all the fun stuff: the inaugural balls, luncheons and Springsteen appearances. That's also the category for things like the 20 JumboTrons placed around the National Mall and the special payment to keep the Smithsonian Institution open for the day. The fun events don't cost taxpayers a dime. Presidential inauguration committees raise money from private donors for all the fun stuff. A spokesperson for Obama's inaugural committee told ABC News that the committee raised about $45 million to cover the costs of events in the fun category. (A full accounting will eventually be filed with the FEC, probably in April.) Adjusting for inflation, Obama's estimated total is about $41.4 million in 2005 dollars or slightly less than the $42.3 million Bush raised for his second inauguration.

But the cost of all the fun stuff is actually less than the cost of providing security for the various events. Taxpayers are on the hook for that bill, and while we won't know for several weeks just how big that tally will be, there's every reason to expect that it'll be hefty. The Times reports that in 2005 the District of Columbia and the federal government spent a combined $115.5 million, mainly on security. ABC News reports higher numbers for this time, with the federal government estimating a $49 million cost and Virginia, Maryland and D.C. requesting a combined $75 million more to cover their inauguration-related expenses. If those estimates hold up, that would work out to around $114 million in inflation-adjusted figures.

It's possible that the security costs could end up being higher. Roughly 400,000 people attended George Bush's 2005 inaugural festivities, according to estimates at the time. CNN estimates that 1.5 million attended the 2009 version, and other estimates range from over 1 million to 1.8 million.

All the bills for Obama's event won't be in for several more weeks, but it appears likely that his inauguration will not cost significantly more than Bush's second inauguration, and could conceivably cost less after adjusting for inflation.

-Joe Miller

Update Jan. 23: We updated this article with quotes from Newsmax and Fox New's Hannity, to give specific examples of the kind of inaccurate reporting we are criticizing.
Sources
Apuzzo, Matt. "Obama Hosting Pricey Party in a Dicey Economy." 17 January 2009. Associated Press. Accessed 21 January 2009.

Bureau of Labor Statistice. "Inflation Calculator." Accessed 21 January 2009.

CNN.com. "Security Tight, Movement Slow on Inauguration Day." 20 January 2009. Accessed 21 January 2009.

Dwyer, Timothy. "Snow and Crowds Descend on Capital." 20 January 2005. Washington Post. Accessed 21 January 2009.

Mayerowitz, Scott, "What Recession? The $170 Million Inauguration." 19 January 2009. ABC News. Accessed 21 January 2009.

Seelye, Katherine Q. "Obama's Inauguration Fund-Raising Tops $24 Million." 5 January 2009. New York Times. Accessed 21 January 2009.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #30
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Exactly. Boo Hoo.

Guess I needed the sarcasm smiley on that one!