Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Water Boy

Member Number: 7466
Default Re: My Super Bowl Experience in the UK

what is the toughtest part of an NFL game for non-americans to understand is it the rules or the different positions?

funny - I think I'm the flip side of the coin. Always been a big steelers and pirates fan and I never even been to pittsburgh.

I got sick of $$ ruining american sports and the lack of commitment the pirates showed toward winning that I turned to european football. A friend of mine who was from W,Germany 9at that time) introduced me to Real Madrid and now look forward to watching Pool vs RM in UEFA CL .

When I was growing up in the early 70's my friends were either Viking or Cowboy fans and to spite them I became a steelers fan.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9546

Quote:
Originally Posted by roethlisbergerUK View Post
Yeah it was a great read,You ready to do it all next year lol..If the football gods will it that is?
Planning is already on the way... I hope to make it over the 300 people next year and make it a huge party, esp if the Steelers are there once again. I think they can do it, easier schedule should see Home advantage in the playoffs and all the way to the Super Bowl again....for for now the off-season is long and im going to concentrate on actually playing and trying to improve the Steeler fanbase in the UK...or just find all of them!
SamUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
what is the toughtest part of an NFL game for non-americans to understand is it the rules or the different positions?

funny - I think I'm the flip side of the coin. Always been a big steelers and pirates fan and I never even been to pittsburgh.

I got sick of $$ ruining american sports and the lack of commitment the pirates showed toward winning that I turned to european football. A friend of mine who was from W,Germany 9at that time) introduced me to Real Madrid and now look forward to watching Pool vs RM in UEFA CL .

When I was growing up in the early 70's my friends were either Viking or Cowboy fans and to spite them I became a steelers fan.
Hardest bit for people I have go into the games was probably the rules, although just watching 1 drive with someone who knows the rules and they are well away and enjoying the game. I think also the length of time and amount of commericals hinder some peoples appeal. 3 odd hours for a game is a long time compared to 90mins for "soccer" and 80mins I think for rugby.

Europeon football does have it's ups and down's, I just dont religiously follow it anymore.

My story for becoming a Steelers fan is not overly exciting. I had been a fan of the game for many years, always followed the game rather than the team, as have no ties with America or a city. Visited Tampa Bay on holiday, saw the Raymond James but I didnt want to follow them as hunfdeds of other Brits had done, come to Florida and support miami or tampa bay. I like to see how tampa do, but thats about it.

Then, come recruitment for the new season, 2 guys from Pittsburgh on a semester exchange come sign up. I was fortunte to become best friends, and play on the same Offence as them, one at QB, one ar WR and me at TE/WR. From that day on, followed the Steeler Nation as I had a personal tie to the city, and a tie through Football which was the most important bit. They were gutted going back to College in PA as their game here was the last proper game they would ever play, least we won 10-0 in the mudbowl that was called Leicester. I hope to visit these guys comes September and get to Heinz Field with them, throw some balls about and relieve the best games of my career!

It was fate, meant to be part of the Black and Gold, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
SamUK is offline   Reply With Quote