Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Someone please explain what the Pats* are doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Who else should they franchise? This isn't all that dumb of a move.

They now have a lot of different options going for them.

They can keep him for the year and pay him the cash. (Moderately likely).
They can let another team sign him away, but getting 2 first round draft picks out of the deal. (Mostly unlikely.)
They can trade his rights away and let another team sign him to a deal of their choosing...which means that the Pats get some compensation for a guy that is pretty much likely to be playing elsewhere anyways. (Highly likely.)
See MOP's post for my reasoning. Plus, is it guaranteed that another team will trade for him? Why in the world would any team trade for and then throw a gazillion dollars at a QB who has played a grand total of 15 and a half NFL games? That's just stupid. At least when they pay a rookie big bucks, they aren't giving up anything in return. It's going to take at least a 1st round pick to pry Cassel out of NE*, and I'm sorry, but he is nowhere near worth that at this stage of his career. I could end up being completely wrong, but I think NE* is going to be stuck with a damn-near $30 million cap hit on 2 QBs, and that is going to end up biting them in the ass.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

if the pats keep cassel.. the man will make 14.2 mill next yr or something close to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

thats more than what brady is making... i hope they have enough money to wipe there own ass

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #23
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
See MOP's post for my reasoning. Plus, is it guaranteed that another team will trade for him? Why in the world would any team trade for and then throw a gazillion dollars at a QB who has played a grand total of 15 and a half NFL games? That's just stupid. At least when they pay a rookie big bucks, they aren't giving up anything in return. It's going to take at least a 1st round pick to pry Cassel out of NE*, and I'm sorry, but he is nowhere near worth that at this stage of his career. I could end up being completely wrong, but I think NE* is going to be stuck with a damn-near $30 million cap hit on 2 QBs, and that is going to end up biting them in the ass.
It may not be draft picks that the Pats* are after. They could be after players too. Maybe they want to trade him for a CB or a LB...combined with a draft pick (i.e. Cassel for LB+ 2nd round).

Look at last season. GB franchised Corey Williams and then traded him for a 2nd round pick.

Now, if you're a team with multiple 1st round draft picks...you could portentially trade one of them for a guy who has shown he can at least play some in the league...as opposed to some rookie who is completely unproven. You then structure Cassel's contract around performance bonuses. Get him 4-5M a year in base salary...some easy to achieve bonuses for 1M or so...and some very difficult ones to get that could extend his contract into the 8-10M/year type area.

It works out for the player and both teams.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

I suspect the Patriots will be stuck will Cassel this year. Nobody is going to give up 2 first round picks to acquire his services. Plus I can see other GMs around the league of letting the Pats screw themselves with that salary cap number for a backup QB.

As for trade....why would a NFL GM trade for a QB that only has proven himself for one year? Ask the Lions how that Scott Mitchell signing worked out in 1994. No way would I shell out money to guy that I suspect is product of a system.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,870 Times in 936 Posts

I think the Pats will get a trade for him. Maybe the Lions trade the #1 pick for him since he's ahead of Matt Stafford from a development standpoint.

maybe the Chiefs trade LJ and a pick for him, or the Vikings trade a DB and pick for him. I honestly hope they have to pay both Cassell and Brady.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is all, of course, p[predicated upon the assumption that he's not a one-year-wonder.

If he's NOT, then this is all fine and good and sound logic by the Pats. However, considering their system, and their schedule, and the facts that he basically choked against every defense he faced this year, I'm sticking with the "Tommy Tutone" theory.

He's DAII
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,870 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm sticking with the "Tommy Tutone" theory.
What if the winning QB lottery numbers are 8-6-7-5-3-0-9 ?
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

There's always a chance.

Interesting aside. The dude that owns that number is selling it. I guess Jenny doesn't live there anymore...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Makes sense.

1. The Pats have no guarantee that Brady is truly healthy. If they lose Cassel, then they are scrambling for a QB to learn the system. Chances are, that QB will come in with baggage as well.

2. It is a one year deal. Which means they don't have cap issues down the road. Basically, they are buying a 14 mill. dollar insurance policy. Now just think about how our 6 million dollar insurance policy with Starks worked out this year. Had we lost him, I don't know if we could have held down the LT spot.

3. It gives the Pats to opportunity to have input on where Cassel goes. He doesn't end up in Jets land giving them the playbook. He ends up in a NFC team that doesn't threaten the Pats.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

2. It is a one year deal. Which means they don't have cap issues down the road. Basically, they are buying a 14 mill. dollar insurance policy. Now just think about how our 6 million dollar insurance policy with Starks worked out this year. Had we lost him, I don't know if we could have held down the LT spot. .
certainly could screw em this year.....plus waiting another year to sign wilfork, could drive his price up....

Quote:
In the event a trade market does not develop, the Patriots would be tying up $29.2 million of their approximately $123 million salary cap on two players. That runs counter to the philosophy that has helped the Patriots thrive this decade, spreading the wealth to more players, and could handcuff other moves, such as signing nose tackle Vince Wilfork to an extension.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote