Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886
Default Re: as a pirate fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
but...what about the freak show team of '97? they were like 5 games out of .500 and close to the playoffs. That would have been our last hope.
you are correct kind sir. so many years of dismal playing has made me lose my memory on that one. good point. =)
Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117

Quote:
but...what about the freak show team of '97? they were like 5 games out of .500 and close to the playoffs. That would have been our last hope.
lol at this point I would give my left arm to see the Pirates finish 5 games under .500 haha

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbrother View Post
lol at this point I would give my left arm to see the Pirates finish 5 games under .500 haha
even with your left arm missing you could probably still be a better pitcher for the Pirates than what we have now! haha!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Hawkeye
Water Boy

Member Number: 7466

been a pirates fan longer than a steelers fan, the great roberto clemente and those Danny Murtaugh Pirates of the early 70 were demi-gods to me.

I know longer look forward to spring eternal hope.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
been a pirates fan longer than a steelers fan, the great roberto clemente and those Danny Murtaugh Pirates of the early 70 were demi-gods to me.

I know longer look forward to spring eternal hope.
i was born in 1982. i had no idea who Clemente was but i knew ALL about him from my grandfather. being born in Pittsburgh you gather information over the years about who certain players are and what they've accomplished, and i got all of that from my grandfather about the Pirates. which is why i'm such a fan. they do have a rich history and one of the oldest franchises in baseball. i love that about them.

the Pirates are a drama free club without prima donnas and media wh*res and they have some of the most rabid fans in the league. everytime i go to a game i see the SAME people and we always have things to talk about. the same fans over and over because they know the day will come when we get our chance and we will continue to strive towards greatness.

aside from collecting Steelers memorabilia, i collect A LOT of Pirates stuff too. but i have something that not a lot of people have and something i don't have pertaining to the Steelers...a Pirates tattoo. i don't know many diehards like that.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
That '97 team was the most fun I've had as a Pirates fan in the last 16 years. That team worked their asses off every single night, and the "Let's Go To Work" slogan they had back then summed them up perfectly. If the Pirates just gave me that - a team low on talent but big on heart - I'd be happy, even if they didn't get to .500. Maybe we'll see that now that they have all of these young players.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
That '97 team was the most fun I've had as a Pirates fan in the last 16 years. That team worked their asses off every single night, and the "Let's Go To Work" slogan they had back then summed them up perfectly. If the Pirates just gave me that - a team low on talent but big on heart - I'd be happy, even if they didn't get to .500. Maybe we'll see that now that they have all of these young players.
i'd be happy just going to the game. i LOVE going to games. i have a new found respect for baseball after seeing live games in PNC Park. it's gorgeous there and it's cheap. except for the beer! ha!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

That '97 team was exciting, though its not common to see a team full of rookies, and veterns making a run for the playoffs.

In my opinion, PNC park is the most beautiful park in baseball, even ESPN agrees!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkulsteel View Post
I always get excited about the season. however this year I know its going to be tough. a question mark at 6 of the 8 every day positions and lets face it pitching won't be great either. Do we think Cutch will make the team this year? With this down baseball economy we should be spending a little
i actually think cutch has a great chance of making the team, as im not solid on Morgan. i cant believe Pedro Alvarez is already on the spring training roster and he hasnt even played pro ball.

i always get excited this time of year, but it never lasts. i get more excited for spring training and seeing the younger players.

this is how i honestly see the lineup being next year

C Ryan Doumit- Thats a given
1B Adam LaRoche- Another given, hoping he doesnt have ANOTHER slow start
2B Freddy Sanchez- Given
3B Eric Hinske- shouldnt be too hard to overtake Andy LaRoche, even though they said Laroche will have the benefit of the doubt
SS Jack Wilson- Given, prob his last season there
LF Nyjer Morgan- like i said im not sold on Morgan and McCutchen could very well be close to taking over by middle to late of the season
CF Nate McLouth- Given, our only all-star from last year
RF Brandon Moss/Craig Monroe- down to these too, i can see both platooning, Monroe prob would play against tougher lefties or all lefties

Rotation
1. Paul Maholm- Team's Ace
2. Ian Snell- hoping for him to return to 2006 form
3. Tom Gorzelanny- if he comes back healthy and rested could be our number 2
4. Ross Ohlendorf- didnt play great but i think good enough to earn him a spot
5. Zach Duke- i really do NOT LIKE Duke but Jimmy Barthmaier def wont beat Duke out, the only way Duke is beatten out is if Daniel McCutchen shows up
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #20
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

I never have been able to fully understand what happened after "92", I mean the Pirates were (in my opinion) the best team in the NL "90", and "91". I believe the Braves were the best in "92" but why the drop off without ever being able to come back. i am a Big Braves fan but due to my Steeler faithfulness i have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Pirates.