Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Re: as a pirate fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
i actually think cutch has a great chance of making the team, as im not solid on Morgan. i cant believe Pedro Alvarez is already on the spring training roster and he hasnt even played pro ball.

i always get excited this time of year, but it never lasts. i get more excited for spring training and seeing the younger players.

this is how i honestly see the lineup being next year

C Ryan Doumit- Thats a given
1B Adam LaRoche- Another given, hoping he doesnt have ANOTHER slow start
2B Freddy Sanchez- Given
3B Eric Hinske- shouldnt be too hard to overtake Andy LaRoche, even though they said Laroche will have the benefit of the doubt
SS Jack Wilson- Given, prob his last season there
LF Nyjer Morgan- like i said im not sold on Morgan and McCutchen could very well be close to taking over by middle to late of the season
CF Nate McLouth- Given, our only all-star from last year
RF Brandon Moss/Craig Monroe- down to these too, i can see both platooning, Monroe prob would play against tougher lefties or all lefties

Rotation
1. Paul Maholm- Team's Ace
2. Ian Snell- hoping for him to return to 2006 form
3. Tom Gorzelanny- if he comes back healthy and rested could be our number 2
4. Ross Ohlendorf- didnt play great but i think good enough to earn him a spot
5. Zach Duke- i really do NOT LIKE Duke but Jimmy Barthmaier def wont beat Duke out, the only way Duke is beatten out is if Daniel McCutchen shows up
I blame Jim Tracy for being an idiot, and changing Dukes delivery. I mean, if he went 8-2 with a 1.80? era.why change what Duke is doing? Its effective! but after Tracy changed his delivery, Duke had a horrible season. All throughout his career before he was called up, Duke completly dominated.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
That '97 team was exciting, though its not common to see a team full of rookies, and veterns making a run for the playoffs.

In my opinion, PNC park is the most beautiful park in baseball, even ESPN agrees!
PNC is beautiful. I am not even going to pretend that I understand what you true Pirate fans are going through. I was born a Yankee fan and when I was a kid I would take the train into the Bronx and see games(Bleacher seats were$5.00 signifigantly less than what I pay now for my families 4 seats ). My fathers best friend was also a bat boy for the 1961 Yankees.

I became a Steeler fan when I was around 7. I went to visit an Uncle in Latrobe Stiller Country! In him and the area I saw the same passion for the black and gold as I was accustomed to seeing for the Pinstripes at home! When I got home I started to follow the Steelers. Even though I did have to hear about the Maz homer to beat the Bombers in the series over the head of my favorite all time Yankee Yogi Berra

I was fortunate to see both the teams that I hold so close to my heart win 6 championships in my young years. Also the succes that both have had since is unprecedented. The are the measurig stick for all teams in both their leagues. My devotion to both has always been unconditional. To the point that I have equal pictures of the Seelers and Yankees in my "man cave".
The reason I gave you my boring little sports biography is that I love this site and I love talking baseball. I am lokking forward to the upcoming season and talking baseball here. Please know that I have nothing but respect for the fans of the Pirates and nothing I enter will be in any way meant to be other than that. So please dont lump me in with the Yankee fan stereotype.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Steeler Steve View Post
I never have been able to fully understand what happened after "92", I mean the Pirates were (in my opinion) the best team in the NL "90", and "91". I believe the Braves were the best in "92" but why the drop off without ever being able to come back. i am a Big Braves fan but due to my Steeler faithfulness i have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Pirates.
Free agency happened. The Pirates just could not afford to keep all of that talent after 1992. Then after Syd Thrift left as the GM, they've had one bumbling idiot after another, and had absolutely dreadful scouting. On top of that, they couldn't make any money being a small-market team in a money-losing stadium, and salaries escalating out of control in the 90s, they couldn't bring in talent. And for the past 8 years, it's been horrible and cheap-ass management who refuse to spend money even though they make money every year off PNC Park and get money from revenue sharing. But it seems now with Neal Huntington running the show and Bobby Nutjob realizing that scouting and player development actually deserve a little more than a couple of bucks, they're starting to rebuild the system by acquiring and drafting talent. And it's been quality talent - not too many scrubs. Their draft last year was rated as one of the best in the league. They're about to open a facility in the Dominican Republic and they're finally putting scouts in Japan and Korea. But it's still going to be at least 2 years before you see any kind of improvement or contribution from the players they've brought in.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
SteelerNut91
Water Boy

Member Number: 12337

Jeez, I didn't realize anybody gave a crap about the Buccos anymore... here's to hoping they get something going... and soon
SteelerNut91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerNut91 View Post
Jeez, I didn't realize anybody gave a crap about the Buccos anymore... here's to hoping they get something going... and soon
I think a lot of people do still care. People wouldnt schedule walk outs in the middle of a game or make shirts that hate on the ownerships.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerNut91 View Post
Of course people still care about the Bucs. There are a lot of great baseball fans in Pittsburgh, myself included, and if this team ever wins again, you'll see that. Our issue is and has always been with ownership, not the team itself.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Free agency happened. The Pirates just could not afford to keep all of that talent after 1992. Then after Syd Thrift left as the GM, they've had one bumbling idiot after another, and had absolutely dreadful scouting. On top of that, they couldn't make any money being a small-market team in a money-losing stadium, and salaries escalating out of control in the 90s, they couldn't bring in talent. And for the past 8 years, it's been horrible and cheap-ass management who refuse to spend money even though they make money every year off PNC Park and get money from revenue sharing. But it seems now with Neal Huntington running the show and Bobby Nutjob realizing that scouting and player development actually deserve a little more than a couple of bucks, they're starting to rebuild the system by acquiring and drafting talent. And it's been quality talent - not too many scrubs. Their draft last year was rated as one of the best in the league. They're about to open a facility in the Dominican Republic and they're finally putting scouts in Japan and Korea. But it's still going to be at least 2 years before you see any kind of improvement or contribution from the players they've brought in.
That's one thing that has changed. Not enough money has been spent, but oh well. They're trying.

Right now this season I have seen some pick them to go as bad as 64-98. I think they'll bust 70 wins. Something like 71-91. If a miracle happens, they'll go 81-81.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #28
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

64-98 is a pretty good estimate. I can't see them cracking 70 games even if they bust their asses every night and the pitching is average, because they have next to no offense. McLouth and Adam LaRoche will be the only guys to sniff 20 HRs this season, and no one else will even get 15.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
64-98 is a pretty good estimate. I can't see them cracking 70 games even if they bust their asses every night and the pitching is average, because they have next to no offense. McLouth and Adam LaRoche will be the only guys to sniff 20 HRs this season, and no one else will even get 15.
That's more 20 HR hitters then I usually can see. They can't just rely on the long ball either.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I will be making my first trip to Pnc Park this year when my Indians come to town. I cant wait for that. With the local minor league team now affliated with the Pirates I guss Ill be more interested in them then before.