Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #31
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216
Default Re: UNC Tar-Heels Football Schedule '09

This is some fun off-season talk. Thats whats great and sh*ty about college football no playoff system and lots of regional bias.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #32
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Difference is I enjoy all kinds of college football. I'm a season ticket holder for my Akron Zips and enjoy MAC football a lot. I respect the major conferences, but also realize that there are cycles of quality in those conferences.

It's ridiculous and absurd to isolate one conference and constantly bash them, especially when that conference has produced a NC in the recent past as well as some runner-up teams.

There are 118 other teams that would be HAPPY to lose NCG's every couple years. Those 118 teams have a lot of pissed of and envious fans..
Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #33
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13130

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
That's cool.

But he'll win more NCG's, and you can bank it. Then I'll tell ya I told ya so.
This is jut like "Cold Hard Facts" saying Cowher could never win the SB because he was too conservative.

Cowher won it all the next year...
Difference is: Cowher also had a proven group of veteran leaders, one of the top 5 best RB's in the NFL, a future HOF WR and worked under a great organization. He also didn't call the offensive plays.

Tressel couldn't win last year with a cast of returning seniors, an easy schedule aside from USC and a trip to a BCS game that pretty much got handed to them. Also, look at the depth of talent from the 06-07 roster that went to the NC. There is no way you can have me sold on the idea that the Gator team that year was deeper than the Bucks.
steelerbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #34
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Correction: Cowher couldn't win because he always had mediocre talent at QB. No coincidence that as soon as they sign their REAL NFL QB, they win a ring (two now).

The Bucks never get the blue chip prospects at QB that they do at the other skill positions. They do now. ALSO, they seem to never get the top prospects for their lines. THAT changed as well.

Tress is no idiot. He's a winner. He wins the old fashioned way, and that's by being consistent and coaching a team. Look at what he did at YSU.

It's dismissive and wrong to write that program off or to question his coaching acumen. There are 118 other teams that would KILL to be where the Bucks are year in and year out...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Correction: Cowher couldn't win because he always had mediocre talent at QB. No coincidence that as soon as they sign their REAL NFL QB, they win a ring (two now).

The Bucks never get the blue chip prospects at QB that they do at the other skill positions. They do now. ALSO, they seem to never get the top prospects for their lines. THAT changed as well.

Tress is no idiot. He's a winner. He wins the old fashioned way, and that's by being consistent and coaching a team. Look at what he did at YSU.

It's dismissive and wrong to write that program off or to question his coaching acumen. There are 118 other teams that would KILL to be where the Bucks are year in and year out...
The only teams who would KILL to be where the Bucks are would be a team like Auburn or Arkansas who have murderous OOC opponents every year aside from their SEC schedule and can barely get into a bowl game because of it. Miami is another good example of this. Next year, aside from their ACC schedule which will be tougher than last year, they have their annual meeting with Florida and then Oklahoma who they got dismantled by 2 years ago.

and you're wrong. I can question Tressel's coaching because it is his coaching that has made OSU a joke in the eyes of the college football world the last 2 years. It would be one thing if he won at least 1 of the games but when you go 0-5 against teams ranked in the top 15 and lose games with the kind of talent that he has, it's kind of hard for me to just give Tress a pat on the back and say "You're doing a fantastic job".
Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #36
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Whatever. I addressed recruiting.

He'll win more NCG's before he's done. Multiple.

And you can always hearken back to this moment when that happens. You guys are a dime a dozen, prognosticating with 20/20 hindsight. Unfortunately, you're also the type that hop right back on the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterwagon when the gettins good.

What happens when the Big Ten resurges? OSU has a big OOC game every year for the nest 15 with perennial top 20 teams. What will you say when the Big Ten has 4-5 teams in the top 20 again, and the Bucks beat them? Will you give Tress credit then?

You seem very much a fair weather fan. That's fine though, every program has them....
Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #37
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

LOL!

Fair weather fan eh? I guess being a realist who realizes when my team's head coach is doing a bad job by losing big games makes me a bandwaggoner. I'm sorry that I'm not the majority of OSU's population who thinks that no team can come within 70 points of a victory. I should just praise Tressel for the excellent job that he's done for the Buckeyes in the last several years. It's ok to get beat by the SEC in back to back years and then lose 3 times to top 10 ranked opponents. I guess I'll just enjoy the victories over sub-par Big Ten teams at the moment because they're all "quality" wins right.

I'm glad you're happy with our team being a joke right now. As if telling me Tressel is going to win another national championship in the future is something I'm actually going to find offensive or something but do me a favor: talk to me and wave the OSU towel when Tressel learns how to stop playing conservative profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter ball and starts playing to win the game.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #38
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i want to see how well pryor will do next yr with no beanie wells or a hartline or robiskie... and some def stars that are gone..

we will see if he can actually throw the ball farther than 10 yrds when the wr is actually covered

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #39
steelerbuckeye
Draft Prospect

Well, that's assuming they actually design pass plays for him instead of every shotgun play being a QB draw.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #40
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbuckeye View Post
LOL!

Fair weather fan eh? I guess being a realist who realizes when my team's head coach is doing a bad job by losing big games makes me a bandwaggoner. I'm sorry that I'm not the majority of OSU's population who thinks that no team can come within 70 points of a victory. I should just praise Tressel for the excellent job that he's done for the Buckeyes in the last several years. It's ok to get beat by the SEC in back to back years and then lose 3 times to top 10 ranked opponents. I guess I'll just enjoy the victories over sub-par Big Ten teams at the moment because they're all "quality" wins right.

I'm glad you're happy with our team being a joke right now. As if telling me Tressel is going to win another national championship in the future is something I'm actually going to find offensive or something but do me a favor: talk to me and wave the OSU towel when Tressel learns how to stop playing conservative profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter ball and starts playing to win the game.
You're absolutely a fair weather fan. You question Tressel-ball, which won in the 50's and won in 2002. So now the formula fails? Because you say so?

Pittsburgh won with the same formula: Play great defense and run the football to open up the passing game. Play solid ST's. Tress's achiles heel is that he hasn't recruited OL and DL like he should, paying too much attention to big name skill players. He also ignored the QB position. it's also foolish to say that he hasn't adapted. He ran a spread option-type offense for Troy Smith.

To address if OSU can win w/o Wells an company, the Bucks don't rebuild, they reload. They'll be just fine.

You're a typical "what have you done lately for me" wagoner, who jumps on and off depending on the W-L column. Every team has them, though, so no big deal...