Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #31
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225
Default Re: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yeah, so? what does that prove?

i understand the physics behind it. as soon as the pin hits the primer a bullet will be discharged at the same rate dependent on the calibur and amount of gunpowder used.

but lets keep it real here and throw out all BS semantics and rhetoric (and diversion).

i have a .22 calico that comes standard with a 100 round spiral clip that i can unload in less than 30 second (believe me ive tried and timed myself and wasted ammo just for the sake of doing it).

and i still have my 1st .22 rifle that holds about 12 shots and it would take me about 6 minutes of loading, and re-loading to get off 100 shots.

sure a single bullet leaves the barrel at the same rate of speed, but you are really muddying the issue here.
If you were smarter you would have 3 extra clips at the ready, and someone reloading the other 2.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #32
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

I am with Preacher on this one, they couldn't be more different.

Most people that own a gun, never have to use it. How many people that own illegal drugs don't use them?

Also, are you really trying to compare killing a baby with owning a firearm?

Abortion- In 2005, 820,151 legal abortions were performed. (this does not take into account illegal or "back-alley" abortions) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortio..._United_States

Firearms- "In 2005, 30,694 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States... Firearm suicide and homicide, the two major component
causes, accounted for 55.4 percent (suicide) and 40.2 percent (homicide) of all firearm injury deaths in 2005." http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf

So in 2005 (the most recent year I can get reliable data) roughly 27 times more people (yes, people) were killed by abortion than by firearm. This is without taking into account that the majority of firearm related deaths are the result of suicide.

Oh, and in response to the legalizing of drugs. I could possibly see it for marijuana, as I guess it is the least dangerous of the illegal drugs. That said I am 100% against it, but not for the reasons you might think. Legalizing marijuana equals a bigger government to control it, and more taxes out of my pocket to do so. Two things that as a conservative I am strongly against.

One last thing, could you imagine our unemployment rate if everyone was baked all the time?

Last edited by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold; 02-27-2009 at 02:13 AM.
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #33
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
cocaine, meth, and weed are still all illegal (hypocritical to say the least.). why dont the republicans fight for legalizing those?

they used to be! drugs dont kill people, users kill people. whats the difference between a gun and a drug? why the double standard? could it be all the pharmacological lobbyists in their pockets?

libs wanna criminalize guns...

ribs wanna criminalize drugs....

and the wheels on the bus go round and round....

its all the same. if all guns are legal, why shouldnt abortion be? killing someone is killing someone, right?

Seriously, WTH is wrong with you? I don't own a gun because I want to, or intend to kill someone. I'm going to use your tactic though. I'll bite though many others (most of whom are probably smarter...or at least wiser...than me are leaving it be.) Guns and abortion has nothing to do with each other...but since you're so keen on lumping them together. Until such time that guns are used in clinical abortions, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Let's take it a step further.

Illegal drugs have killed more unborn babies than legal guns have. I don't really need to look things up, because I'm doing things the Lib way. I'll try for a smooth delivery and smile big...might have to add in about 25 "uh"s ...but we'll get there.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #34
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
If you were smarter you would not be a lib.
Fixed it for ya buddy
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #35
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,731 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
its not our fault but it is our problem.

our administrations have appointed themselves (us i.e. the U.S.A.) the world police and with that comes a cost.

...and with that cost comes people who pay.
They don't need to take away our freedoms because another country has a corrupt gov and can't control what is happening inside their own country. Why should the American people pay for that?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #36
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
its not our fault but it is our problem.

our administrations have appointed themselves (us i.e. the U.S.A.) the world police and with that comes a cost.

...and with that cost comes people who pay.
I understand where your coming from, but I think the American governments real agenda here should be controlling the border violence so that it is not trickling over into the States.

A gun ban isn't going to stop the violence though, the majority of these Mexican drug lords are not getting their guns by legal means, I can guarantee that.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #37
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
If you were smarter you would have 3 extra clips at the ready, and someone reloading the other 2.
my antique winchester is butt loaded and isnt equipped with a clip. but the bullet does travel out at the same speed as my assault pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Fixed it for ya buddy
BROWNfan say what?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
It is the furthest thing from the same.

Come walk in my shoes for a week and watch the destruction drugs do to individuals, families, communities. It makes handgun crime PALE in comparison. Honestly, people who argue for the legalization of drugs are either 1. too far into the culture itself to see clearly the damage they are causing, or 2. Care to much about their agenda to see what drugs really do, in the degree they do them.

There is not ONE family in my church that is not touched by drug use in their family. There is not ONE family in my church that IS touched by gun use in their family.
You make some decent points, and I agree with you for the most part.

I am not for the legalization of most drugs (except marijuana, there are more benefits to this being legal than being illegal), but I am for decriminalization of other illicit drugs. I think it is a waste of the justice systems time and taxpayers money to just toss drug users (the non-violent ones at least) into jails and prisons with murderers, rapists and the like. I feel like if someones only crime is a drug addiction then the focus should be more on rehabilitation, not mixing them into a society of violent criminals, where more often than not, they come out worse than when they entered.

There are many peoples lives that are affected by drug use, but you could use the same argument for alcohol use as well, yet this is legal. Only when a person is endangering others while intoxicated is it considered a crime. I feel very strongly that marijuana should be treated in the same way.

As far as guns go, the same principle basically applies. As long as you go through the proper steps to obtain a gun, use it within lawful means, everything is fine and dandy. Commit a crime with it, your screwed and face consequences.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,731 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post

As far as guns go, the same principle basically applies. As long as you go through the proper steps to obtain a gun, use it within lawful means, everything is fine and dandy. Commit a crime with it, your screwed and face consequences.

Thats just it. The only people a ban is going to affect is the LAW ABIDING citizen, not the criminals that will pop a cap in you. I can tell you for sure the criminal doesn't fill out a background check first.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #40
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Thats just it. The only people a ban is going to affect is the LAW ABIDING citizen, not the criminals that will pop a cap in you. I can tell you for sure the criminal doesn't fill out a background check first.
Very true, and the crime rate increases in England and Australia have proven that gun bans do not stop crime whatsoever.

I found some interesting articles on the subject:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

http://www.haciendapub.com/gunpage2.html

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...5/130646.shtml

http://www.reason.com/news/show/28582.html