Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.

Pitching is what we need fixed now. Our starter last season just didn't get the job done and a few off season picks up would be amazing.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Pirates signed Craig Monroe to a minor league contract the other day, i guess he was the right-handed bat we were looking for.
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
Pirates signed Craig Monroe to a minor league contract the other day, i guess he was the right-handed bat we were looking for.
Not if he was signed to a minor-league deal. That means he isn't good enough to make a major-league roster. In other words, your typical Pittsburgh Pirates move.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Not if he was signed to a minor-league deal. That means he isn't good enough to make a major-league roster. In other words, your typical Pittsburgh Pirates move.
i think he is coming off an injury last year, he only played 58 games last year. if thats the case i can see why no one would offer him a big league contract. ive noticed in baseball people are more hesitant to sign people coming off of injuries, but if he returns to form thats a nice steal for us.

hey they are trying right? Jonny Gomes is out there, but i doubt the Pirates even thought of calling him.
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #25
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Pirates have new uniforms

PITTSBURGH -- Prior to the start of the weekend's PirateFest activities, the Pirates unveiled the four uniforms that will be used in 2009.
The changes were made in large part to identify closely with the team's history and tradition. Among the changes are the elimination of the team's alternate red jersey and the introduction of a new black, button-down jersey to take its place.

The new black alternate jersey, which will be worn on select home and road games, is adorned with the classic gold "P" on the left chest. The Pirate "P" is making a return onto the jersey for the first time in 74 years. It was back in 1935 that a "P," which was red and located on the left chest, was last found on the jersey.

The standard gold "P" logo now used was first introduced in 1948 when it was sewn onto the team's solid black caps.

"The Pirate "P" had a storied history," Pirates president Frank Coonelly said at the team's annual Hot Stove luncheon for the media on Friday. "Some of our great early teams wore the "P" on the front or sleeve of the jersey."

Those storied teams included both the 1909 and 1925 World Series championship teams. The 1909 team wore a white "P" on their blue caps. The 1925 club had the Pirate "P" on the sleeves of its jerseys.

In addition to the new uniform, the Pirates have also reintroduced sleeves to their home and road jerseys. The team has worn sleeveless jerseys as part of both the home and road uniform since PNC Park opened in 2001. Similar sleeveless uniforms had also been worn by the organization's World Series championship 1960 team.

However, the decision to go back to a jersey with sleeves was again part of the effort to identify with the uniform style of the most successful Pirates teams in the organization's history. Four of the five world championships won by the Pirates were won by players that had sleeved jerseys.

"It's our history and our tradition and we are rebuilding our history and tradition," Coonelly said.

Other than the addition of sleeves, the team's white home jersey and gray away jersey remain unchanged.

The Pirates have decided to keep the sleeveless pinstriped jersey as well, only to be worn for Sunday home games.

"The sleeveless jersey also has a special place in our history, having been worn by the great 1960 Championship team and for much of the Hall of Fame careers of the great Roberto Clemente and Bill Mazeroski," Connelly said.

The color red, which was brought back into the uniforms in 1997, is now gone altogether. In addition to the red jerseys no longer being worn, the red line on the team's batting practice cap has also been removed.

Here's what they look like:

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Pirates sign Maholm and Hinske

On Friday, the Pirates secured the long-term services of their breakout star pitcher and also signed a fourth outfielder.
After physicals were passed, lefty starter Paul Maholm inked a three-year contract worth $14.5 million with a fourth-year club option for 2012 worth $9.75 million. Veteran outfielder Eric Hinske also signed a one-year deal worth $1.5 million with incentives that could add another $1 million.

Maholm, who avoided arbitration with the signing, emerged as Pittsburgh's ace in 2008, when he went 9-9 with a 3.71 ERA and established career highs in innings pitched (206 1/3), strikeouts (139) and starts (31).

"I'm extremely happy," Maholm said during a press conference at PNC Park. "I couldn't be happier right now to get it done. It's kind of a load off me. Now, it's all about baseball and winning. You don't have to worry about going year-to-year. Some guys prefer it, but for me, this is perfect."

Scheduled to make $3.5 million this season, $4.5 million in 2010 and $5.75 million in 2011, the 26-year-old Maholm has all three arbitration years settled. A year of potential free agency is also covered if the option is exercised. The buyout for 2012 is worth $750,000.

"Both sides were realistic in their expectations," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. "Both sides wanted this to happen. His makeup, intelligence and pitch arsenal make us confident we'll feel as good four years from now as we do today."

Over his four seasons with Pittsburgh, Maholm has gone 30-35 with a 4.30 ERA in 96 starts. In 2007, he was 10-15 with a 5.02 ERA and pitched only 177 2/3 innings over 29 starts. He was the Pirates' first-round selection (eighth overall) in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft.

Last offseason, Maholm sought to take his career to the next level and made efforts to get into better shape. He also developed more maturity and his efforts proved successful both on the mound and, ultimately, in his checking account.

"I was upset with myself that I missed starts in '07," Maholm said. "I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to not have that happen again. To me, if you're in the starting five you should expect to go 200 innings. That should be your starting-out goal. To reach it was rewarding, but also made me go into this offseason knowing that I had to work even harder and make sure I came in even better shape and there are never any questions of whether I'm prepared to go out there."

Maholm's contract marks the second multi-year deal handed out by the Pirates this offseason, and the fifth time overall that Huntington has avoided arbitration with players by giving them long-term contracts.

In December, catcher Ryan Doumit signed a three-year contract worth $11.5 million with a two-year club option for 2012-13. Both Maholm and Doumit were arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter.

Outfielder Nate McLouth now remains the lone Pirates player eligible for arbitration.

The left-handed-hitting Hinske batted .247 with 20 home runs and 60 RBIs in 133 games last season with the Rays. The 31-year-old can play both corner outfield positions, first base and third base.
Hinske, who was the 2002 American League Rookie of the Year with the Blue Jays, played in Toronto from 2002-06 and with the Red Sox in 2006-07. With Tampa Bay and Boston, he's appeared in the last two World Series.

"He's a great fit," Huntington said. "He's a blue-collar player, gritty. He's been around a winning environment."

Over his seven-year career, Hinske has batted .254 with 105 homers and 399 RBIs. As Spring Training loomed just two weeks away, he said he had about eight offers from around the league, but the Pirates contacted him a few days after he filed for free agency and pursued his services hard.

Going into camp, Hinske is expected to be a reserve outfielder but could slide into the starting left field spot should Nyjer Morgan not be able to retain his role. His signing could likely spell the end of utility player Doug Mientkiewicz's time in Pittsburgh, since the club now seems loaded with left-handed hitters.

"They were straightforward with me, and I appreciated that," Hinske said. "When I spoke to Neal Huntington, he assured me I'd get an opportunity to get some at-bats and be a big part of the clubhouse. It's been all positive for me. It seems like a pretty good opportunity for me. I'm happy to be a Pirate."

Another move is pending for Pittsburgh to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Hinske.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Eric Hinske.

Eh. Why the hell not.

Hinske for Mientkiewicz?

Bummer.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #28
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Nate McLouth Signs Extension

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Outfielder Nate McLouth reached agreement Tuesday with the Pittsburgh Pirates on a $15.75 million, three-year contract that includes a team option for 2012.

The agreement was struck hours before the scheduled start of a salary arbitration hearing in Phoenix.

McLouth hit .276 last season with 26 home runs and 94 RBIs. He was on the NL All-Star team and won a Gold Glove in center field.

He gets a $1.5 million signing bonus and salaries of $2 million this year; $4.5 million in 2010; and $6.5 million in 2011. Pittsburgh has a $10.65 million option for 2012, with a $1.25 million buyout.

In addition, he can earn up to $1.75 million in escalators. For 2011 and 2012, his salary could increase by up to $500,000 annually: $200,000 if he was an All-Star the previous year; $200,000 if he was a Gold Glove winner the previous year; and $100,000 if he was a Sliver Slugger winner the previous year.

McLouth was eligible for arbitration for the first time after making $425,500 last year. When players and teams exchanged proposed arbitration salaries last month, he asked for $3.8 million, and the Pirates were offering $2.75 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3912629

Sweetness!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #29
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
Nate McLouth Signs Extension

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Outfielder Nate McLouth reached agreement Tuesday with the Pittsburgh Pirates on a $15.75 million, three-year contract that includes a team option for 2012.

The agreement was struck hours before the scheduled start of a salary arbitration hearing in Phoenix.

McLouth hit .276 last season with 26 home runs and 94 RBIs. He was on the NL All-Star team and won a Gold Glove in center field.

He gets a $1.5 million signing bonus and salaries of $2 million this year; $4.5 million in 2010; and $6.5 million in 2011. Pittsburgh has a $10.65 million option for 2012, with a $1.25 million buyout.

In addition, he can earn up to $1.75 million in escalators. For 2011 and 2012, his salary could increase by up to $500,000 annually: $200,000 if he was an All-Star the previous year; $200,000 if he was a Gold Glove winner the previous year; and $100,000 if he was a Sliver Slugger winner the previous year.

McLouth was eligible for arbitration for the first time after making $425,500 last year. When players and teams exchanged proposed arbitration salaries last month, he asked for $3.8 million, and the Pirates were offering $2.75 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3912629

Sweetness!!
This is a GREAT move by the Pirates with McLouth. Hopefully he's even more productive and some guys can give him a supporting cast in 2009.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Im really excited for the season and watching their pre season games shows again alot of potential for our buccos, they got power at the bats now and still the same veterans as always. Pirates come on do it for your city and fans!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote