Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: Andre Smith not Showing any progress

This is from Yahoo.com
Wed March 11

We haven't lived in the Kiper era of endless NFL draft information for very long, but in that time, I can't recall anyone's draft stock falling quite like Andre Smith's. Picture Wilford Brimley's frail and helpless body tumbling end-over-end off a cliff, picking up speed as it goes (Note: Do not picture this if you are Wilford Brimley, or someone who knows him). That's about what we're looking at here.

He (Smith, not Brimley) was once considered a possible number one overall pick, and now, he might not even be a second-day pick. If Andre Smith was the stock market, he'd be ... well, he'd be a lot like the stock market is right now.

It all started at the combine, when Smith basically did everything the exact opposite of how it should have been done, and then left in the middle of it without telling anyone where he was going. But it was thought that Smith would have a chance to redeem himself, at least partially, at his Pro Day earlier this afternoon.

So how'd that go for him? Here's a snippet from TFYDraft.com:

The situation has gone from bad to worse for Andre Smith. His bench press results were a pitiful 19-reps. His position work was also very mediocre. One scout has told us is it the "worst workout he ever saw" and a number of scouts are cranky that they made the long trip to Alabama to watch the pitiful workout. A second scout has told us "Smith lost millions of dollars".

And from NFL.com:

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

And PFT quotes a league source as saying that Smith "bombed."

The way things are going, teams will be drafting equipment managers before they draft Andre Smith. Most decent stadium hot dog vendors are more highly sought-after. Dan Leone will be drafted before Andre Smith.

It hurts to even think about this guy. Put yourself in his shoes. A month ago, he was on track to become a household name, had won just about every major award for which he was eligible, and was set to become one of the wealthiest people on the planet ... and now he's a guy without a college degree (he left Alabama after his junior season) who might not even have a future in the game.

I feel like giving him a hug, but I'm afraid I'd knock him down and scouts would send him even farther down scouts' lists.

Come on, Andre. Get it together, baby. Nothing's over, nothing's decided. You can still be the stud you were intended to be.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #22
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Andre Smith not Showing any progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
That is what I think too. I would rather see Fili Moala to play a 3-4 DE for the Steelers than Jackson, which means he is more like a 2nd -3rd round pick. But, what do I know?? Maybe I missed the other 6 LSU games this season where Jackson must have dominated.
Where are you located? I'm guessing SEC country if you've seen the Tigers six times.

I agree that Tyson is a reach as a first-rounder. We never got any pressure on the quarterback this season. I could have looked like Dan Marino with that much time to throw.

As far as Andre Smith is concerned, if he somehow slides to the end of the third round I'd gamble on him. But only because it's the end of the third round.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote