Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: The Official Alphonso Smith Bandwagon Thread

The Steelers tagged Starks the day that Gross signed his long term deal and Carey was reportedly signing his deal. I dont like Starks talent, but he was considered by many the #3 OT in free agency, so saying that noGM in the league wanted him is a bit crazy.

You point out that our O line gives up sacks and Ben has no protection, but would rather take Hakeem Nicks in the 1st so he can be the #3 or #4 WR and watch Ben get sacked because we didnt address the O line again. Makes no sense to me other than WR and CB are glamour picks.

Oh yeah......and Alex Mack is soft.

Last edited by El-Gonzo Jackson; 03-12-2009 at 12:00 PM.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The Steelers tagged Starks the day that Gross signed his long term deal and Carey was reportedly signing his deal. I dont like Starks talent, but he was considered by many the #3 OT in free agency, so saying that noGM in the league wanted him is a bit crazy.

You point out that our O line gives up sacks and Ben has no protection, but would rather take Hakeem Nicks in the 1st so he can be the #3 or #4 WR and watch Ben get sacked because we didnt address the O line again. Makes no sense to me other than WR and CB are glamour picks.

Oh yeah......and Alex Mack is soft.
what cracks me up, is in 1 post he implies that olinemen aren't that neccessary for success, so why waste a high pick on one, then he turns around and advocates getting into a bidding war for gross or carey....:

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
what cracks me up, is in 1 post he implies that olinemen aren't that neccessary for success, so why waste a high pick on one, then he turns around and advocates getting into a bidding war for gross or carey....:
Maybe they are "impact O-linemen"?

To me, Carey is a solid RT or guard that can play LT. Still better than Starks, but not somebody I think the Steelers needed to pay $7mil a season to.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #24
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Some more vids of our future pro bowler

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2adb1

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f3392c

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ee9be7

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80eea164
Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #25
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I got no problem with Smith, Butler or Keenan Lewis from Oregon St. The fact that there is a deep class of CB's might mean that we dont need to get one in the 1st round.

As for a big ugly that is a "difference maker". Please tell me if Jake Long, Brandon Albert, Ryan Clady, Joe Thomas, Tony Ugoh or any O lineman has ever been considered a difference maker.

Bottom line is that experienced guys like Parcells know you build a team with a solid base of linemen. That is why he picked Jake Long OT, Philip Merling DT and Kendall Langford DE with his first 3 picks of last years draft. A solid Offensive or Defensive lineman makes much more sense than a CB in round 1, but we will see.
I have to agree with you in principle, but what was it 3,4 years ago? noone could run on us, or stop our run, but we consistantly got beat with long pass plays and a dismal return game.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
I have to agree with you in principle, but what was it 3,4 years ago? noone could run on us, or stop our run, but we consistantly got beat with long pass plays and a dismal return game.
thats the direct result of bad picks like chad scoot,scott shields, hank poteat, and ricardo colclough.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
thats the direct result of bad picks like chad scoot,scott shields, hank poteat, and ricardo colclough.....
I also dont think we got much push from our down linemen or Clark Haggans. The only guy to rush the passer then was Porter.

I'd love to see a guy that is a 2-gap DE and is athletic enough to get after the passer. Canty might not have been perfect as that, but I think he would have been better than Nick Eason, Kirshke, etc.