Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts
Default my daughters 1st time watching JAWS

shes 5 1/2 years old and it was on tonight so i figured it was about time (i 1st saw it when i was about 4 or 5).

i figured this would turn out better than when i took her on her 1st rollercoaster ride (jackrabbit at kennywood) at the age of four.

she kinda paid attention for most of the 1st half which is the boring half. she laughed at the leg floating down in the water. she got into the suspense of the beach attacks and the music (now she knows why our aquarium red tailed shark is named "nuh-nuh")

when the little boy was eaten she asked if the shark ate a little girl. since im not into mentally torturing a 5 year old or striking them with the fear of God (or sharks) i simply told her "no" since sharks dont like little girls because they stink and taste bad.

the next 30 minutes i had to explain how to fish for a shark and how shooting them with a floating barrel attached makes them tired. she was excited to finally see the shark and naturally scared at the appropriate points.

as she crawled into my lap she said she was scared of getting bit. i asked her how something on the tv could bite her. she said what about in the tub? i asked her how a great big ol' shark like that could possibly get in a tiny ol bathtub.

she understood and she was glued.

she asked if the shark was happy after eating quinn. i said that he was happy that he was full. when the shark went after the others, she said "uh-oh... hes going back for desert"

when the oxygen canister blew up the shark she burst out in laughter. she couldnt stop talking about it. she laughed, and i laughed, then she laughed some more, so i embellished more laughing.

then she said we shoulda watched it on the other tv (with the dvr) so we coulda recorded it. when i told her i already had it on disk, she immediately asked if we could watch it again tomorrow.

of course i said yes.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: my daughters 1st time watching JAWS

My son and I watched it on TV together for the first time when he was about 11. We had a blast! I grabbed him just as that guys head popped out of the bottom of the boat and he about jumped to the ceiling. Good times, good memories!

Jaws was the very first movie I went to see as a teenager with a friend. She had just got her drivers license and it was our first time out on our own.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

One of my all-time faves. I didn't see it until I was like 12-13, and it scared the piss out of me for YEARS!

"You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Good job Tony, start them young on the good films like Jaws. Classic movie. My youngest daughter who is 9, saw it when she was about 7 and now anytime we are in the water, she attacks me with the "duh duh".

Thing is, when we went to the ocean, that's when she really got it, "Aren't their sharks in the Ocean?" "Yes honey" "Uh Oh"

Yes...she understood why daddy doesn't go in the ocean.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,372 Posts

Sweet....I let my boy watch it last year, 5 year old then. Now he really, really wants to go shark fishing. He thinks he's going to get to blow one up.

I think I have a twisted kid, he also loves the zombie and vampire movies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts

holy cow... what happened to kids watching cartoons on saturday morning? she woke me up begging to watch jaws and asking me what was the funniest part and if i remembered the shark exploding.

i think shes obsessed. every scene change shes askes "is this a funny part" (meaning an attack)

she burst out in laughter when they show the leg of the man in the pond floating down to the bottom, and likes with the crab covered hand. but she admits the part with he submerged head "freaks me out".

shes too smart though. she cant understand why the gun and barrel doesnt kill the shark and says "they shoulda just used the "sleep darts" (tranquilizer).

now shes even starting to quote quinn. (the way this is going, i may have to turn her on to zombie flicks

tons of great quotes and songs though(quinns soliloquy about the uss indiannapolis being the best)-

"heres to swimmin with bow legged women"

"you go in the cage? cage goes in the water.. you go in the water. sharks in the water. our shark.

farewell and adieu to you fair spanish ladies"

"show me the way to go home, im tired and wanna go to bed. i had a little drink about an hour ago and its gone straight to my head...."
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

You forgot the best line of all.....

"I think we need a bigger boat."
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote