Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,744 Times in 2,923 Posts
Default Re: Surprising Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
last year kirwan had mayo and rivers going 29 and 31st...they went 9 and 10. 8 of his 1st rd picks, didn't go in the 1st rd.
Quote:
There will be an updated first-round mock draft every week leading up to the April 26-27 selection process. There could be some radical changes as I speak with people around the league and factor in the late pro days.

Players currently outside of the first round who might break in next week include Devin Thomas, Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham, Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Early Doucet, Sam Baker.
youre looking at the wrong one. he does a fluid mock every week or so starting after the combine (usually he does about 5) but it looks like this year there may be 8 or 9.

anyways check out last years final mock from the thursday before the draft which is much more telling how it actually played out (had dallas taking mendenhall at #22).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-19-2009 at 08:22 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I may be beating a dead horse here, but on the topic of Vontae Davis being on the board when we draft, the Steelers will have to look at him. Just like last year, if a top 20 pick falls to us, we have to look. I think that Coach Tomlin is waiting for a DB to fall to him that he can turn into an All-Pro, but Davis has character issues. If we don't take him, it'll be because we took him off our draft board, not because we don't need a corner.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,795 Times in 898 Posts

I hope Kirwins mock falls this way. I love the fact that Beatty, Mack and Gilbert are on the board when we pick.

I would be happy with any one of those 3 players!!!
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #24
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271 View Post
I may be beating a dead horse here, but on the topic of Vontae Davis being on the board when we draft, the Steelers will have to look at him. Just like last year, if a top 20 pick falls to us, we have to look. I think that Coach Tomlin is waiting for a DB to fall to him that he can turn into an All-Pro, but Davis has character issues. If we don't take him, it'll be because we took him off our draft board, not because we don't need a corner.
i seriously doubt its worth pondering if davis falls to 32....its not gonna happen ..there's no shortage of teams needing cb's....character issues or not he's still a top cb on the board , and i'm sure several teams would overlook it.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I just hope that the 1st 31 picks pan out that way just for the reality that the Steelers actually have a chance to draft Davis. Unfortunately barring something wierd happening Davis is a top 20 pick. If Pat Kirwan really knew as much about the Steeler FO as much as us fans he would realize that the Steelers don't pass up steals. Just look @ last year for proof
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,795 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
I just hope that the 1st 31 picks pan out that way just for the reality that the Steelers actually have a chance to draft Davis. Unfortunately barring something wierd happening Davis is a top 20 pick. If Pat Kirwan really knew as much about the Steeler FO as much as us fans he would realize that the Steelers don't pass up steals. Just look @ last year for proof
So, if I understand you correctly....you are criticizing Pat Kirwin for not knowing what the Steelers FO is thinking, yet saying that Steeler fans DO know what the FO is thinking...................OK.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

what do u guys think about Evander Hood? He could be there at 32
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282

In this situation you have to take Vontae Davis.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,744 Times in 2,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
If Pat Kirwan really knew as much about the Steeler FO as much as us fans he would realize that the Steelers don't pass up steals. Just look @ last year for proof
again, you gotta be kidding.

im listening to kirwan right now broadcasting from the owners meeting is cali. in his first hour on the air he has already interviewed the packers gm, r. mckay, along with a. reid, and w. philips. r. graves is coming up. im sure he'll have art, kevin, and tomlin on, too.

tomlin was a weekly guest on his show in his rookie year. pat spends every football sunday watching and discussing the game with bill cowher. he has interviewed colbert plenty of times and every year at steelers training camp. he knows all too well the steelers will rarely pass on the bpa (he was one of the few i saw having the steelers not passing on limas sweed last year).

i would say he understands the steelers fo better than any talking head out there (with exception of maybe bouchette or wexell) and 10X more any random internet fan.

anyways, this is just one analyst's opinion of davis vs. gilbert. all i can say to justify the thinking behind the pick is he sees the potential for gilbert to replace and potentially be as good as aaron smith who is at the top of his position in the league. (3-4 de). with davis and 64 starting cb's in the league plus all the nickel players maybe he feels he will only be top 20 or mid pack.

he's already conceded that vonte is probably the 2nd best this year in a deep crop where there arent 2 consencus top 10 cb's like when d. robinson and d. hall were drafted. we'll see what happens.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #30
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
again, you gotta be kidding.

im listening to kirwan right now broadcasting from the owners meeting is cali. in his first hour on the air he has already interviewed the packers gm, r. mckay, along with a. reid, and w. philips. r. graves is coming up. im sure he'll have art, kevin, and tomlin on, too.

tomlin was a weekly guest on his show in his rookie year. pat spends every football sunday watching and discussing the game with bill cowher. he has interviewed colbert plenty of times and every year at steelers training camp. he knows all too well the steelers will rarely pass on the bpa (he was one of the few i saw having the steelers not passing on limas sweed last year).

i would say he understands the steelers fo better than any talking head out there (with exception of maybe bouchette or wexell) and 10X more any random internet fan.

anyways, this is just one analyst's opinion of davis vs. gilbert. all i can say to justify the thinking behind the pick is he sees the potential for gilbert to replace and potentially be as good as aaron smith who is at the top of his position in the league. (3-4 de). with davis and 64 starting cb's in the league plus all the nickel players maybe he feels he will only be top 20 or mid pack.

he's already conceded that vonte is probably the 2nd best this year in a deep crop where there arent 2 consencus top 10 cb's like when d. robinson and d. hall were drafted. we'll see what happens.
Oh sure that clearly reflects in that mock draft with him projecting the Steelers will pass up a top 20 player for a 2nd rounder in Jarron Gilbert. Also if he really thought Davis was the 2nd best corner then why does he predict he'll get drafted 10 picks behind another 2nd round player in Sean Smith? Of course did you even read the mock draft?
P.S.:Did you read where he says that Everette Brown goes to Chiefs &Y Curry goes to the Pack at #9 or the Texans getting a RB with pressing needs in the secondary & OLB, plus shouldn't the Seawhiners be thinking Raji if J.Smith & Monroe are off the board, the QB can wait for them.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote