Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room > Well Wishes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225
Default Prayers for my wife-also any doctors in the house?

My wife has been complaining of body pains. She also has times when she is sleeping that she goes into sort of convultions. Her eyes are open but she is not coherant. I usually just prop her up(I'm afraid of her choking on her tounge) and say things to her trying to sooth her. This seems to bring her out of the convultion state (toke me a while to figure this out, at first I didn't know what the hell to do, and would just try to wake her my shaking her, even tried pouring water on her, none of these worked)

Andy doctor her that has any idea of what this could be? It is a pretty traumatic experience for me, however she never remembers these episodes. Regardless of how everyone thinks that the Chinese are so smart, their medical care is 50 years behind ours, they still prescribe herbs and all sorts of disgusting tasting tea, which I have tried for some ailments but never worked for me
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
SteelersGirlTN7
Starter

Member Number: 71
Default Re: Prayers for my wife-also any doctors in the house?

Epileptic seizures?

I had a roommate in NC that had these, and I had never had to deal with it before I met her. It was very scary. The first time she had one, I had no idea what to do either. Usually the main thing is, we just turned her on her side (to avoid tongue choking) and tried to calm her down. But we didn't really hold her down, like if the convulsions were too bad, holding her down would have been more detrimental to her, because with the way the convulsions happened and the extremities shaking, her bones could be broken during the convulsions by holding her down. We don't really know what caused hers, but sometimes they were really bad. I'm definitely not a doctor, but from what you said, it's something to look into.

I'll keep y'all in my prayers :-)
SteelersGirlTN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Sounds like a seizure, but more info is needed. Such as medical hx, such as diabetes, head trauma, recent infections. Is she on medications. If it is a Seizure don't stick anything in mouth, all you can do is protect her from falling or further injuring herself. Bottom line is she needs to be checked by a physician and have blood work done. Many causes for seizures. Most of the time they are not life threatening and can be treated with meds such as Dilantin and Tegretol. Good luck.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

She doesnt really go into cunvultions per say. It's more like her entire body becomes ridged, with the occasional twitching. She also makes a noise like she is terrified.

Like I said it scares the crap outta me, and I know it's not a dream because I would be able to wake her. She has had blood tests done and they say everything looks normal, but my confidence in the doctors here is 0%
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
She doesnt really go into cunvultions per say. It's more like her entire body becomes ridged, with the occasional twitching. She also makes a noise like she is terrified.

Like I said it scares the crap outta me, and I know it's not a dream because I would be able to wake her. She has had blood tests done and they say everything looks normal, but my confidence in the doctors here is 0%
You're in China or someplace, right? I'm sure there must be some American doctors, or at least American-trained ones over there.

If nothing else, you have my prayers!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,445 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'll pray for her!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, hon. I don't want to guess on what this could be, but I think you need to find a neurologist there and have her evaluated sooner rather than later.

Indo is a doctor/surgeon and is a pretty cool guy. Maybe he will be able to help steer you in the right direction. If you don't see him logged onto the board, shoot him a PM.

I'll definitely keep your wife in my prayers and hope that someone can help her.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Wow, sorry brother! You certainly have my prayers for your wife. As other's have stated, it sounds like a seizure...and though there isn't a lot of shaking going on, it doesn't mean she's not having them...they just might be too mild for the shaking.

I'm talking to my wife (EMT/STNA) and she says it sounds like Petit-mal seizures. She says that they typically occur with young-people, though she's seen it happen to people of all ages (to include herself after giving birth to our children.)

If possible, I would find a hospital that is willing to give her a sleep study. She should probably get a CT scan as well (again, if possible.)

If you read through the link below, you'll see that the symptons are extremely various...the early portion doesn't necessarily describe what you've described, but if you read down, you'll recognize some of the symptons you've desribed...and possibly a few other things you may have overlooked without realizing it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/e...cle/000696.htm
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Sorry to hear Steel. Both you, and your wife, will be in my prayers.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote