Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: WHAT? My taxes are now going to pay for the released terrorists?

I just find it curious that a fence will cost about 1.5 Million dollars.

I mean...really? that's an awful lot of freaking money to put up a stinking fence.

Accountability and Transparency...nevermind.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It's a big bridge...probably close to a mile long? And it "Y's" which means it needs about a 3rd more fencing.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Which law exactly prevents us from returning them to the country from which they came??? As far as I know we don't have laws against speculative murder.

The Geneva conventions does not apply to enemy combatants because they are UNLAWFUL combatants, the GC only applies to LAWFUL combatants. So, again, what laws prevent us from returning them to their country?

(I accidentally hit submit)

Obama, as part of his move to close Gitmo, has removed the enemy combatant status of these terrorists which, in turn, stripped them of ANY protection under the GC. They now have less protection under any law. Legally, they are now subject to the domestic laws of the nation in which they were arrested/committed offenses. So If you prefer to get LEGAL, we would only be following LAW if we turned them over to the country they were arrested in.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Return them to their own country and let them be subject to their own laws...simple as that.

Everyone is still playing the blame game with Bush, but you think you would figure out what to do with these people BEFORE you shut it down.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Tony, I agree with you on the fact that they should have had a slug in their head in the desert and left there. One problem, do you remember when the Marines went into Fallujah? One of the tactics the insurgents used was to lie in a room act dead, when the Marine squad entered, the insurgent would either throw a grenade at them or blow themselve's and all the Marines up. So, it is filmed by the media of a Marine squad entering a room, apparently dead terrorist moves, Marine pumps two .556's into his chest, and the Marine is brought up on charges. BS, but that is what would happen all over the place if we just dispensed of them, no matter how much I agree with it.

As for the Geneva Conventions, 9/10's of these guys aren't afforded the protection of the Geneva Conventions because they aren't lawful terrorists. They use mosques, civilian clothing, human shields, etc. Now, I agree that as the US we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard, but not to the point were it is dragging out a war and or costing our soldiers their lives. Basically, these terrorists should be sent back to their home countries and be dealt with by their home countries according to whatever law they practice. Heck, send them to Egypt and Syria, let them deal with them. No matter who opened Gitmo or however anyone wants to try to spin this subject, these FS's should not be released on American soil, and sure as hell should not be allowed to roam free, becoming a part of the Welfare Society. As was said before, the terrorists want to take our country down from the inside, this is one hell of a gift for them if this does happen.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #26
kittenfantastico76
Starter

Member Number: 11856

WHAT THE, WHAT?

Seriously? If I had known this I would have started terrorist behavior so I could get a free ride (not really but I might as well).
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #27
kittenfantastico76
Starter

Member Number: 11856

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Send them back to their own damned shitholes and let them be dealt with there. There's a reason they were being detained at Guantanamo and it wasn't because of their charming personalities or that they bake good cookies.
I was thinking the same thing... and they can't go home why? Oh right because they'll get what they deserve from their own country men and women... God forbid!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,100 Posts

ok... enough fun with this one. here we have yet another "this could happen" "this may happen" speculative article being passed off as actual news. the debate of what to do with these people has been going on for years but some wanted to sweep it under the rug and let the next admin deal with the self inflicted headache.

and here we have a thread title of misrepresentation (that practically is screaming fire in a theater), and the panic article has got people all bent out of shape and indeed, even in a panic. so lets throw some water on this fire.

Quote:
Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening, may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.
....or they may not.

Quote:
That is the case with 17 Uighers (WEE'-gurz), Chinese Muslim separatists who were cleared for release from the jail long ago. The U.S. can't find a country willing to take them, and it will not turn them over to China.

now we got the 17 WEE gurz who are actually the ones in question of being dumped into our laps being compared to these guys-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

So - you're saying that these terrorists should be set free on our streets and American taxpayers should foot their bills?

David Hicks, who was found guilty under retrospective legislation introduced in 2006 of providing material support to terrorists in 2001.

Salim Hamdan, who worked as a chauffeur to bin Laden.

Ali al-Bahlul, who made a video celebrating the attack on the USS Cole.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Ramzi Binalshibh, Mustafa Ahmad al-Hawsawi, Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali and Walid Bin Attash, who were all involved in the September 11th attacks.

These are just a sampling of the terrorist bastards who are currently being detained at Guantanamo Bay.
these guys will either be tried and imprisoned or shipped back home to continue their terroristic activities (or chaffeuring).

it makes me wonder if anyone even bothered reading beyond the thread title and first few lines of the "article" before they decided to go off on a rant and obama blamefest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
but you think you would figure out what to do with these people BEFORE you shut it down.
you know someone named "Everyone"?

i would think you would actually read the article and figure out that is EXACTLY whats going on.

Quote:

Blair said the U.S. government is building dossiers on each of the prisoners at Guantanamo and is still developing the process that will determine what happens to them. Some may face criminal trials in the U.S. civilian courts and be imprisoned in U.S. jails. Others will be remanded to their home governments for continued jailing or potential rehabilitation.

The Pentagon claims more than 60 former Guantanamo inmates have been released by their home governments and are believed to be engaged in militant activities. It has not released a list of those former prisoners. Two of the top al-Qaida leaders in Yemen are former inmates, according to both al-Qaida and U.S. intelligence officials. And the Taliban's top operations officer in southern Afghanistan was released from Guantanamo in 2007, according to U.S. intelligence and military officials."... ...
i didnt realize obama was releasing terrorists from guantanamo as far back as 2007. it must cost alot of taxpayer dollars to hunt that guy back down. oops.

so now that this fire is out have you all heard that obama could start importing all new terror suspects to work as illegal aliens, stealling about 2 million jobs (americans dont wanna do anyways) created by the stimulus package, which will all be paid for by no longer paying any veteran benefits?

yep. its gonna happen. i read it in a panic article.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-27-2009 at 05:57 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,290 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

We should have just killed them all, and been done with it. A heck of a lot cheaper, and saves a lot of headaches. Of course, the minute we did that, we'd have every pacifist asshole in the world giving us shit for doing what should have been done 35 years ago and that none of them have the sack to do. Nevermind that the terrorists don't give a shit about the Geneva Convention and will kill anyone who doesn't agree with them without a moment's hesitation. If the shackles were taken off the U.S. military, the war would have been over in a matter of days, bin Laden's head mounted on a spike in the Afghan mountains, and with nothing but dead Muslim terrorist assbags left in its wake.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. America ALWAYS has to be the one who does the right thing because...well, it's America. Can't have military tribunals, have to grant "rights" to terrorists, can't keep these animals locked up for life, and now all of this handwringing over what to do with GB. We ALWAYS get the short end of the stick, and I'm about sick of it, quite honestly.