Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan Mach 5.0 (with round 2)

if beatty , britton , or mack is available? i'd say you gotta go with the guy with the most potential to play left tackle, so i'd say beatty. i think it'd be a bit easier to add bulk and strength to beatty, than it would be to straighten brittons footwork, and agility out. plus britton has those short arms.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I like Byrd...but if Wood is available at #64...I would love the Britton/Wood combo on the first day
I agree with you. I would love that as a day one. Britton I still think would be a safer pick than Beatty, and I believe would end up at LT in a year. That, and Wood playing OG getting ready to move to OC really does give me a warm fussy felling about out O-line.

If I have to pick between Mack and Beatty, I think I would go with Beatty.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
if beatty , britton , or mack is available? i'd say you gotta go with the guy with the most potential to play left tackle, so i'd say beatty. i think it'd be a bit easier to add bulk and strength to beatty, than it would be to straighten brittons footwork, and agility out. plus britton has those short arms.
I agree that I like Beatty over Britton. Beatty is a SR. while Britton is a Jr., so there is the experience factor. Beatty has been questioned as he really only shined his last 2 seasons, but I think his bench press numbers show that he has the dedication to the weight room.

I havent seen much of Britton, but on tape he is an OK run blocker and very good pass protector. Beatty is much more agile, seems more aggressive and willing of a run blocker and is probably around 310lbs. He can easily bulk up another 10 lbs to his frame. I didnt think Britton has short arms, but he might end up at RT his entire career........while Beatty is a definate LT.

I would love to get Beatty in the 1st, Fili Moala (or Alex Maggee) in the 2nd and Mike Mickens in the 3rd. Then look at a guard like Vasquez, Feinga in the 4th(even trade up to do so).
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts

britton had the 2nd shortest arms of all the linemen at the combine.
beatty....34 3/4
britton....32 3/4

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I like those picks & I think this draft was better than the other 4 drafts he posted which were horrible. I still don't get why he has Aaron Curry slipping past KC & Vontae Davis slipping to/beyond the bottom of the 1st round, & what's the deal with the Saints getting Beanie Wells? They need Defense, They don't need a new power back when they got a 5,000 yard passer plus Pierre Thomas played good enough
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
britton had the 2nd shortest arms of all the linemen at the combine.
beatty....34 3/4
britton....32 3/4
Who was the shortest?? Shipley at 29.75?? Andy Levitre was 32.5 , so was Greg Isdaner.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
I like those picks & I think this draft was better than the other 4 drafts he posted which were horrible. I still don't get why he has Aaron Curry slipping past KC & Vontae Davis slipping to/beyond the bottom of the 1st round, & what's the deal with the Saints getting Beanie Wells? They need Defense, They don't need a new power back when they got a 5,000 yard passer plus Pierre Thomas played good enough
I agree . . . this is Kirwan's best mock draft yet, but some of the picks are a little wacky.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 AM   #18
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I agree that I like Beatty over Britton.
Me too. I think we would all agree that there is more upside for a guy that can play the left side and not a guy you project there. That being said, I think I still stick with Mack. He is a very cerebral player and a student of the game. I don't think you can have too many of those guys on your team.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote