Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,645 Posts
Default Jarron Gilbert interview and pro day results

gilbert was on sirius radio today, interviewed by pat and tim. they started off by saying they are working it with his people to make him a weekly guest every week until the draft. i have seen players like woodley, b. albert, and jacoby jones greatly increase their stock in the final month from what i feel can be directly attributed to these weekly appearances. it provides a prospect a unique forum to showcase their FBI.

john fox and rex ryan were 2 of the notables to attend his pro day, and he received alot of attention from mike tomlin and the rest of the steelers attendees at the combine. (tim and pat specifically asked him what he thought of tomlin and steelers and you can imagine the answer).

one of the knocks on him (other than level of competition is that he is too nice of a guy- he says hes a nice guy off the field, who wont be getting in trouble, who comes from a great 2 parent family (his dad and uncle both played pro ball), but when it comes to the field he flips a switch and is a completely different person.

they asked him if they only have 30 minutes to review game tape, which one would he recommend. he said against boise st. where he recorded 10 tackles, 5 for loss, [i think it was 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles].

asked what he played in college.... 1st 2 years at DE and then last year he moved inside to DT. he said he can play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 inside or outside, he has done it all and feels comfortable anywhere equally. they noted how his versatility adds value.

asked how he wound up at san jose state- he was a 225 lb OL coming out of high school. san jose was the only school to give him an opportunity as a TE. they tried him out on defense where he found out he was a "natural". [sounds like how big ben wound up at miami- the only place willing to let him play qb].

he also said that him jumping out of the pool was shot on the first take and there were no "bloopers" of him biffing it.

http://www.topix.com/ncaa-football-p...states-pro-day

Quote:
Gilbert, a defensive end, measured in at 6-5, 284 pounds, according to San Jose State SID Lawrence Fan. He had a 37-inch vertical and a 10-foot, 7-inch broad jump, both of which are pretty spectacular for someone Gilbert's size. NFL Draft Scout has Gilbert as the eighth-best defensive end in the draft. Others, however, see him going as high as late in the first round.
i think he will wind up going higher than #32.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Jarron Gilbert interview and pro day results

Yeah, I think somebody else switching to a 3-4 will jump at him. Chargers maybe.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't understand why the fixation on the 3-4? This guy looks like he's actually a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

Either way, if he's climbing, that means someone else is falling...they can't ALL be drafted in the first 31 picks.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,645 Posts

brett keisel listed at 6'5" 285 lbs.
aaron smith listed at 6'5" 298 lbs.

he is bigger than adalius thomas and terrell suggs who are both hybrid de's in a 3-4, and his body type fits the mold of a prototypical 5 technique.

his physique definitely doesnt match that of javon kearse, julius peppers, or dwight freeney.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

OK, "better fit" may have been the wrong words.

He looks like he could play DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Gilbert can probably play either, but the 4-3 teams often like a lighter and quicker player like Jared Allen, Kampmann, Peppers, Freeney, etc.

Gilbert is a DT that can play a 2 gap DE in a 3-4 and with the number of teams switching to that scheme......he is in demand.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I'm impressed, I'd love for him to be at pick #64 & a great option if Mack is gone
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote