Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Of course they sent McCutchen down for financial reasons, because God forbid the Pirates' owners end up having shell out more than a couple of bucks to keep some talent around. Really, there is absolutely NO reason why he should be starting at AAA, especially not behind Nyjer friggin Morgan. Maybe he'll be back when they finally realize that Morgan is nothing more than a bench player and occasional starter at best, and a career minor leaguer at worst.

Having said that, even I would be stupid to not acknowledge that the Bucs have some talent waiting in the wings. Lots of it. And most of them are either major-league ready now (A. McCutchen, Bixler) or are close (Walker, Pearce, Jones, Ford, Tabata, Alvarez, Daniel McCutchen, Lincoln). They drafted the top SS prospect last year along with Alvarez, and with another top 5 draft pick this year, they'll add even more talent. Even with the improved starting pitching, they won't win this season, but next season...look out. They are on the verge of finally turning things around.
whats another month or two? the pirates are very slow out of the gate, why put him through that? he will be up my late may and that way we still get an extra year before we have to offer him a contract. Kind of what the Rays did with Longoria and what Baltimore is doing with Matt Wietters.

i doubt Morgan starts the year as the starter, Craig Monroe will probably see the majority of the at-bats in left field until McCutchen. I dont see Bixler as a potential starter but more as a bench/platoon player. if the Pirates were smart they were sign Wilson to at least a one more year extention to give Brian Friday or Jordy Mercer another year or two. But we all know how cheap the pirates are and more than likely the Pirates will start next year with Bixler as the Shortstop and not add any1 at all.

at shortstop were u talking about jarek cunningham or jordy mercer? i know cunningham was one of the top high school shortstops but his stock dropped after an injury cut short his year. i know Mercer was one of the top college shortstop and played on team USA in one of the world championship tournaments (maybe even the olympics). id have to say one of the Beckman's (no relation) were the top two shortstops in the draft, even though Gordon Beckman is most likely switching to second.

i hope this year we go after Dustin Ackley from UNC. big time bat at first base, which we really lack in the system. im pretty sure we pick fourth so we will be there as the three teams before us are expected to go pitching first. if somehow Stephen Strasburg drops to us that would finally give us a bonafide top of the rotation prospect, but there is no way because everyone ahead of us could use a number 1
Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
whats another month or two? the pirates are very slow out of the gate, why put him through that? he will be up my late may and that way we still get an extra year before we have to offer him a contract. Kind of what the Rays did with Longoria and what Baltimore is doing with Matt Wietters.

i doubt Morgan starts the year as the starter, Craig Monroe will probably see the majority of the at-bats in left field until McCutchen. I dont see Bixler as a potential starter but more as a bench/platoon player. if the Pirates were smart they were sign Wilson to at least a one more year extention to give Brian Friday or Jordy Mercer another year or two. But we all know how cheap the pirates are and more than likely the Pirates will start next year with Bixler as the Shortstop and not add any1 at all.

at shortstop were u talking about jarek cunningham or jordy mercer? i know cunningham was one of the top high school shortstops but his stock dropped after an injury cut short his year. i know Mercer was one of the top college shortstop and played on team USA in one of the world championship tournaments (maybe even the olympics). id have to say one of the Beckman's (no relation) were the top two shortstops in the draft, even though Gordon Beckman is most likely switching to second.

i hope this year we go after Dustin Ackley from UNC. big time bat at first base, which we really lack in the system. im pretty sure we pick fourth so we will be there as the three teams before us are expected to go pitching first. if somehow Stephen Strasburg drops to us that would finally give us a bonafide top of the rotation prospect, but there is no way because everyone ahead of us could use a number 1
You're right, but I've been waiting 4 years to see this kid roam PNC Park and he's clearly shown this spring that he's ready for the big time. Why not keep him here? He's clearly a better option and player than Morgan, and Moss for that matter. And if he's been the best defensive player in camp, even better than their Gold Glove CF...I mean, it's a no-brainer. Screw the extra year - he needs to be here right now.

I was talking about Mercer that they drafted last year, the top college SS prospect. I hope he develops quickly, because though Bixler showed improvement this spring, I'm not ready to go forward with him as the starter once Jack moves on. As for drafting Ackley, considering that we have ZERO bona-fide 1B prospects in the system (unless they do decide to move Alvarez to first, which they have considered), then it's a no-brainer that they take him. I would draft him even ahead of Strasburg if he were to fall, because I think they're grooming Lincoln to eventually be their top of the rotation starter.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
go right ahead, id love to hear how they are doing, thats there low A club right? i know im gonna be going to some lynchburg games when they Potomac since i live near where they play so i can see Pedro Alvarez
Yea we are the low A ball team. Ill start the thread when the season kicks off next week.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
You're right, but I've been waiting 4 years to see this kid roam PNC Park and he's clearly shown this spring that he's ready for the big time. Why not keep him here? He's clearly a better option and player than Morgan, and Moss for that matter. And if he's been the best defensive player in camp, even better than their Gold Glove CF...I mean, it's a no-brainer. Screw the extra year - he needs to be here right now.

I was talking about Mercer that they drafted last year, the top college SS prospect. I hope he develops quickly, because though Bixler showed improvement this spring, I'm not ready to go forward with him as the starter once Jack moves on. As for drafting Ackley, considering that we have ZERO bona-fide 1B prospects in the system (unless they do decide to move Alvarez to first, which they have considered), then it's a no-brainer that they take him. I would draft him even ahead of Strasburg if he were to fall, because I think they're grooming Lincoln to eventually be their top of the rotation starter.

im hoping Lincoln will be, i remember seeing some of his games when he played for Houston he had some nasty stuff! His fastball has good movement on it and a good breaking pitch. He was also the team cleanup hitter for the games he didnt pitch. i wouldnt be mad if we moved Alvarez to third, it kind of makes sense since we still have Neil Walker in the system. i dont see how we keep both at third and find a way to get them both at-bats.

im pretty sure Lincoln and Alvarez (alvarez for sure) are both starting at high A Lynchburg so when they potomac im gonna try and time it so i can go see Lincoln pitch and Alvarez bat
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Yea we are the low A ball team. Ill start the thread when the season kicks off next week.
you can post in here if it will save clutter, ill posting here often during the season. or we can start a Pittsburgh Pirates farm teams thread, i love following minor leaguers so a thread of our whole system might be fun
Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
im hoping Lincoln will be, i remember seeing some of his games when he played for Houston he had some nasty stuff! His fastball has good movement on it and a good breaking pitch. He was also the team cleanup hitter for the games he didnt pitch. i wouldnt be mad if we moved Alvarez to third, it kind of makes sense since we still have Neil Walker in the system. i dont see how we keep both at third and find a way to get them both at-bats.

im pretty sure Lincoln and Alvarez (alvarez for sure) are both starting at high A Lynchburg so when they potomac im gonna try and time it so i can go see Lincoln pitch and Alvarez bat
Lincoln is moving up to AA Altoona, so you won't be able to see him. He's also developed a changeup, which should make him even more effective.

As for Alvarez, I was thinking when he was drafted that there's no way he was going to stay at 3rd, that he'd have to move across the diamond with Walker already in the system and having acquired Andy LaRoche. So I wouldn't be against it either.

EDIT: A separate thread for the farm system I think is a good idea to save clutter.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Lincoln is moving up to AA Altoona, so you won't be able to see him. He's also developed a changeup, which should make him even more effective.

As for Alvarez, I was thinking when he was drafted that there's no way he was going to stay at 3rd, that he'd have to move across the diamond with Walker already in the system and having acquired Andy LaRoche. So I wouldn't be against it either.

EDIT: A separate thread for the farm system I think is a good idea to save clutter.
that sucks, maybe next time im up there ill make a trip and try and see him pitch. i def do NOT think LaRoche is the long term option at third and hope that we see walker the starter by next year, its about make or break for him
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Craig Monroe and Luis Cruz were given the last two spots on the bench today. i dont see how they dont give monroe extra at-bats instead of morgan. Cruz is a great fielder and a good option of the bench as he can play just about anywhere.

Karstens was also named the fifth starter. eh, who else right?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

Quote:
you can post in here if it will save clutter, ill posting here often during the season. or we can start a Pittsburgh Pirates farm teams thread, i love following minor leaguers so a thread of our whole system might be fun
I usually go to some Indianapolis Indians games the Pirates AAA team so ill try to post news about whats going on with them
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
that sucks, maybe next time im up there ill make a trip and try and see him pitch. i def do NOT think LaRoche is the long term option at third and hope that we see walker the starter by next year, its about make or break for him
Of course LaRoche the Younger isn't the long-term option at third. They haven't been grooming Walker these past 3 years as a third baseman for nothing. However, if he does not show more improvement this season (not saying he won't), then Alvarez will be the man at third in the future. I am hoping that LaRoche the Younger has a good year so that he brings something decent back in a trade, same goes for his brother.