Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Teaching a child to drive

I just fairly recently got my license. Let me give you some advice from the standpoint of the student. Don't be over-bearing. I can remember learning to drive with my parents in the car with me constantly telling me "do this, do that" it gets ANNOYING. I know to use my turn signal, thank you. After the first go of it, don't mention simple things. Let her remember them on her own and if she forgets, then you mention it. Basically the best advice I could give to make it the easiest to learn would be to let the student do it then critique. Just take it easy :)
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

my daughter gets her liscense next tuesday i cant beelive the permit has gone by so fast! Sheis doing well i even got her driving a manual transmission. Im very confidnet in her ability.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,419 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
It could be worse. Up until a few years ago the legal age for driving in Idaho was 14.
I would be scarred out of my wits. I would be looking over my shoulders everywhere I went.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #14
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Brother, don't worry so much about "I can't believe 16 years have passed so quickly! " ............my daughter is 18 and graduates this coming June. Mannnnn, I thought high school boys were bad, I will have to deal with college guys next year!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #15
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Wanna talk about driving try living in a city with 17 million Chinese people... No words can describle it. I'll try though...mad house...insane in the membrain.....unorganized....balls to the wall...oblivious...Chinese+women+cell phones.....D.U.I's for COPS... maybe that can give ya'll some insight
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I started teaching my oldest child how to drive before she even got her license. About 3 times a month we would head out to the local high school parking lot and for the first few months I would be in the passenger seat and then I moved to outside the truck.

I would throw balls in front of the truck to get her to recognize possible hazards and grow her reflexes.

My son turns 14 this October and early next Spring I'll start teaching him how to drive THE TRUCK.

And then eventually, the Princess - but I'm not sure I'll let her drive until she's 30!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
You make it sound so easy. I lived near Philadelphia for a few months in the end of 2007, and when I tried to go through all the DMV stuff so I could legally drive a car I had bought, they made it pretty clear that the state of Pennsylvania does not want anyone to drive a car there ever. And I already HAD a perfectly good driver's license. Hope it works out for you...
Did they know you were a Steelers fan out there near Philly? I think I smell a conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
You sure the Mall is the best place? I know I am petrified to drive in the mall p-lot here myself.
Maybe that's just because it's New Jersey though (Soccer/Shopping Mom capital of the world).
This mall is the best place. It has many open lots, is HUGE and empty in most places. And yes, you feel that way just because you're in NJ. LOL. This mall is nothing like the Raceway mall in Freehold or the crazy Ocean County Mall down there in beach territory. (I used to live in NJ for a while so -- been there done that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
...soooooo....rosary beads...a football helmet...and screaming in fear....are...bad, right?
Keep the rosary beads but clenched in the pocket out of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I just fairly recently got my license. Let me give you some advice from the standpoint of the student. Don't be over-bearing. I can remember learning to drive with my parents in the car with me constantly telling me "do this, do that" it gets ANNOYING. I know to use my turn signal, thank you. After the first go of it, don't mention simple things. Let her remember them on her own and if she forgets, then you mention it. Basically the best advice I could give to make it the easiest to learn would be to let the student do it then critique. Just take it easy :)
You just described my father. He taught me what kind of a person not to be sitting by someone learning to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
Wanna talk about driving try living in a city with 17 million Chinese people... No words can describle it. I'll try though...mad house...insane in the membrain.....unorganized....balls to the wall...oblivious...Chinese+women+cell phones.....D.U.I's for COPS... maybe that can give ya'll some insight
Does Japanese people count? I've driven in and around Tokyo. I would NOT want to teach anyone to drive over there! Not only are you driving on the other side of the road, but the driver's seat is opposite in the cars as well.

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauben View Post
Did they know you were a Steelers fan out there near Philly? I think I smell a conspiracy.

This mall is the best place. It has many open lots, is HUGE and empty in most places. And yes, you feel that way just because you're in NJ. LOL. This mall is nothing like the Raceway mall in Freehold or the crazy Ocean County Mall down there in beach territory. (I used to live in NJ for a while so -- been there done that )

Keep the rosary beads but clenched in the pocket out of sight.

You just described my father. He taught me what kind of a person not to be sitting by someone learning to drive.

Does Japanese people count? I've driven in and around Tokyo. I would NOT want to teach anyone to drive over there! Not only are you driving on the other side of the road, but the driver's seat is opposite in the cars as well.

HA!! The Freehold Mall was precisely the one I was thinking of when I wrote that. Can you imagine trying to teach someone to drive there??? lol

Good luck! I'm sure she'll make you proud.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

I survived.

After sitting in the DMV offices for over two hours waiting to get the permit Saturday morning, I ended up taking her out to a hospital I once worked at.

There are lots of empty parking spaces in the outpatient clinical areas, and enough driving conditions around the entire complex with very little traffic to intimidate her. One big parking lot was completely empty so that was a good place for her to speed up and get a "feel" for the car and the steering wheel, etc. I will admit that about the first 15 minutes I made sure to sit on my hands as I could feel the "uneasiness" in the handling of the car. We had the classic 'head-jerking' stops, but then the feel of the car changed as she kept driving. It began to feel very steady and confident. We stayed in the parking lot the first day, and then Sunday we went again for another hour. This time she was driving around the complex with other traffic around her. She's picking this up really quick and confidently. Whew! But the most she's got the car up to has been 20mph. LOL I have yet to see how she does on main roads and with plenty of traffic.

I did set down SOLID rules about driving. NO CELL PHONE ON IN THE CAR when behind the wheel. I made that part of her routine for beginning the car; adjust driver's seats, windows, steering wheel, turn on head lights, turn off cell phone.......etc. She's not addicted to the thing that much anyway, but if she wants to drive my car thats the rules.

Boy it's different when it's your child you're teaching!

lamberts-lost-tooth, I'll be thinking of you! You'll be up next to the plate. You're going to have to let me know how you're doing! We'll be going through this together and eventually be able to get to where devilsdancefloor is.

What would be more difficult? Teaching a boy or teaching a girl? One may want the 'need for speed' whereas the other? My daughter luckily is not the 'giddy' 'gossipy' 'giggly' type. She's grounded, mature and serious when in serious matters so I think I luck out in that department. So maybe this is just more about the personality rather than the gender?

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote