Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Obama: The Hattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
who cares if obama voted to fund it? alot of people voted to fund the disposal of our nuclear waste. was it explained to them the risks of dumping it along a fault line?

i mean its not like these people in washington hold doctorates in plate techtonics and seismic activity.
I do Tony, because there is a pattern here. Obama not only takes positions on issues he often knows little or nothing about, but also forces trillion dollar decisions down our throats (that our children and grandchildren will pay for) on issues he STILL knows little or nothing about.

Throughout this last year you jumped on the Obama bandwagon and your personal excuse for voting for him despite his inexperience, was that you were confident that he would surround himself with competent people......

I have yet to see an abundance of competence (or ethics) in the ranks of his staff.

He is an embarrassment to the principles on which this country was founded.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,731 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

He is an embarrassment to the principles on which this country was founded.

Thats the reason he wants to do away with that little piece of paper called the Constitution.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

[QUOTE=trauben;585623]You mean like the liberals did for the past 8 years regarding Bush? And deservedly so!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
You mean like the liberals did for the past 8 years regarding Bush? And deservedly so!

Do you think what is happening now is deserved?

Last edited by Preacher; 04-02-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

[QUOTE=Preacher;585725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post

Do you think what is happening now is deserved?
maybe so i mean all these people might have their eyes opened about certain programs or agendas. It isnt democrat or republican they all do it now and it is very sickening. Maybe people wil realize that the president doesnt poop rainbows. besides i do not blame the president for alot of the crap it si congress under bush and barry.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

On this thread, I want to go back to first principles: Yucca was funded. It was studied. It was 25 years in the making. It's primary fucnction is to house nuclaer waste for 100,000 years. It was built to serve a purpose, and now it's just being....abandoned.

That's stupid. And Obama is NOT doing it to serve the greater good, he's doing it to pander to his base. Harry Reid hates it, so Obama, with the stroke of a pen, wiped it off the books.

Meanwhile, we still have inadaquate facilities in place, I'm sure these places are not safe, and we have no "Plan B". I know 9 billion dollars doesn't matter much to a guy who's about to send us 9.3 trillion in debt, but it's these little pieces that all build up to a huge 9.3 trillion piece puzzle that worry me.

The only thing scarier are the group-think lemmings who are backing Obama up because....I don't actually know what............just because he said the word "change"?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

...so far off base i dont really know where to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Bear in mnd, this is the BEST site we could find. WRONG It's been in the works for 25 years. The temporary storage we are using is NOT safe nor is it the answer. But Obama thinsk we should start from scratch AFTER he's funded it twice? How long will that take? 25 MORE years?

On this thread, I want to go back to first principles: Yucca was funded. It was studied. It was 25 years in the making. It's primary fucnction is to house nuclaer waste for 100,000 years. WRONG-(off by a zero either way. primarilly 10,000 then expanded to 1,000,000) It was built to serve a purpose, and now it's just being....abandoned.WRONG - (not yet)

That's stupid. WRONG And Obama is NOT doing it to serve the greater good, WRONG he's doing it to pander to his base. Harry Reid hates it, so Obama, with the stroke of a pen, wiped it off the books.WRONG!- (from your cited article- Obama may end Yucca Mountain fight = more panic.

Meanwhile, we still have inadaquate facilities in place, WRONG I'm sure these places are not safe, WRONG- you sure youre sure? and we have no "Plan B" 100% WRONG. I know 9 billion dollars doesn't matter much to a guy who's about to send us 9.3 trillion in debt, but it's these little pieces that all build up to a huge 9.3 trillion piece puzzle that worry me.
i guess its time to put this panic thread to rest. ive always had a keen interest in nuclear weaponry and what to do with the waste. my dad worked in the mx titan missle silos. i can remember going to the beach and watching missle launch tests. i was born, raised, and have currently lived 45 miles from ground zero at trinity site and have been following the r & d of the WIPP site since the early 90's and to a lesser degree yucca mountain. by no means am i an expert but you most certainly aint gonna school me on the subject by slapping the 1st internet article you come across up on the board.

im taken aback by how clueless you seem on the subject. you do know theres aquafiers under yucca mountain right? youre aware that yucca mountain wont even be ready to take the 1st shipments of the bad stuff until 2020 (20 years behind schedule). i gather you werent even aware of alternatives or even heard of WIPP until yesterday. im pretty certain you werent aware of salt bed storage. anyone whit basic geology 101 knowledge would say buried in a salt bed is safer than along a fault line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain

Quote:
Nevada ranks third in the nation for current seismic activity.[5] Earthquake databases (the Council of the National Seismic System Composite Catalogue and the Southern Great Basin Seismic Network) provide current and historical earthquake information. Analysis of the available data in 1996 indicates that, since 1976, there have been 621 seismic events of magnitude greater than 2.5 within a 50-mile radius of Yucca Mountain. Reported underground nuclear weapons tests at the Nevada Test Site have been excluded from this count.[6]

DOE has stated that seismic and tectonic effects on the natural systems at Yucca Mountain will not significantly affect repository performance. Yucca Mountain lies in a region of ongoing tectonic deformation, but the deformation rates are too slow to significantly affect the mountain during the 10,000-year regulatory compliance period. Rises in the water table caused by seismic activity would be, at most, a few tens of meters and would not reach the repository. The fractured and faulted volcanic tuff that comprises Yucca Mountain reflects the occurrence of many earthquake-faulting and strong ground motion events during the last several million years, and the hydrological characteristics of the rock would not be changed significantly by seismic events that may occur in the next 10,000 years. The engineered barrier system components will reportedly provide substantial protection of the waste form from seepage water, even under severe seismic loading.[7]

In September 2007, it was discovered that the Bow Ridge fault line ran underneath the facility, hundreds of feet east of where it was originally thought to be located, beneath a storage pad where spent radioactive fuel canisters would be cooled before being sealed in a maze of tunnels. The discovery required several structures to be moved several hundred feet further to the east, and drew criticism from Robert R. Loux, head of the Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects, who argues that Yucca administrators should have known about the fault line's location years prior, and called the movement of the structures “just-in-time engineering.”[8][9]
yet you say obama and all who voted to fund it shouldve known all along. i guess theyre just not as smart as you.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun...tion/na-yucca6

(now i understand this guy has an agenda of securing a contract but also acknowledge the govt almost ALWAYS goes with the cheapest bidder)-

Quote:
Yucca Mountain safety plan is 'doomed,' nuclear company says
By Ralph Vartabedian
June 06, 2008

The Energy Department's safety plan for handling containers of radioactive waste before they are buried at the proposed Yucca Mountain dump has become a "fool's errand," according to a major nuclear equipment supplier.

Under current plans, the casks of nuclear waste material awaiting burial at Yucca Mountain could be sent into a "chaotic melee of bouncing and rolling juggernauts" in an earthquake, according to Holtec International, one of the nation's largest manufacturers of nuclear waste storage systems.

The blistering critique of safety standards is in a newsletter that Holtec sent last week to its customers and suppliers, warning that the project has become a "doomed undertaking." Holtec supplies storage casks to power plants around the country.

Nevada officials say the harsh comments deepen their concerns about the site of the repository.

"It shows a lack of attention to safety," Robert Loux, executive director of the Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects, said Thursday.

An Energy Department spokesman said he had not seen Holtec's critique and had no immediate response. The agency applied Tuesday for a license to build the facility, calling for 70,000 metric tons of waste eventually to be sent by truck and rail to the mountain.

Once the waste arrived, it would have to cool down -- for years in some cases -- before being placed in deep tunnels. Joy Russell, Holtec's sales and marketing manager, said the Energy Department wanted the material to cool down in casks without adequate seismic anchors or other restraints.

In May, the government rejected a proposal from Holtec for a temporary underground storage system that the company says would maintain safety in the event of earthquakes and airplane crashes. It instead chose two lower bidders who proposed unanchored systems, Russell said.

The company intends to develop the below-ground storage system at its own cost.

The government expects Yucca Mountain to experience earthquakes that produce ground movement comparable to a magnitude 6.5. In such a quake, "pigs will fly before the cask[s] will stay put," the newsletter said.
but i get it. your anti obama obseesion has clouded your judgement. you have taken a stance and now you will cling to it. you can no longer be reasoned with. "up" is really "down".

i just hope everybody takes the time for their own due diligence instead of buying your rhetoric and propoganda as gospel.

and to make things clear, i wish all things work out for the yucca mountain dump. we have come to a point of no return with our waste. the only solution is to quit producing it and we both know thats not gonna happen. i most CERTAINLY dont want that shit on my roads or in my back yard.

ironically, your boy mccain doesnt either. it seems he wants the trucks hauling the shit to bypass arizona altogether. pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

speaking of billions of dollars of waste and the money pit known as yucca mountain, were you this outraged when the titan missles and their 90 megaton warheads were scrapped? perfectly good and operational, just outdated, and replaced with the minutemen.

how bout the stealth project developped by skunkworks 25 years ago. why spend billions of dollars on research and development for a plane with a shelf life of 25 years? modern technology pushed it aside.

how do you know that a salt bed depository cant be constructed and fully operational by 2020?

....cheaper, safer, better.

i think you may be living in the past clinging to a 25 year old idea. i rely on my leadership to atleast EXPLORE more viable options.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Congrats. The rarest of the rare...you actually cited some sources and posted some facts.

I'll concede this one issue.

Next!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Congrats. The rarest of the rare...you actually cited some sources and posted some facts.

I'll concede this one issue.

Next!
Now that is the rarest of rare!!!!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote