Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #31
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: 3 police officers shot and killed in Pittsburgh

St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #32
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Below are the plans the City and PPD have put together to honor our fallen officers. I plan on going down to pay my respects to these heroes late Wednesday evening. :

http://kdka.com/local/fallenheroes/P....2.977673.html

Thousands Expected For Slain Officers' Memorial

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Officials from the City of Pittsburgh have detailed plans for a public memorial for three slain Pittsburgh Police officers.

Officers Eric Kelly, Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo were fatally shot when they responded to a domestic disturbance call in Stanton Heights early Saturday morning.

The first private funeral for one of the officers was held Monday afternoon. Mourners lined up outside of a Bloomfield funeral home to pay respects to Officer Sciullo.

Monday, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl outlined plans for the public to pay tribute to the officers.

Kelly, Mayhle and Sciullo will lie in state at the City-County building starting at 4 p.m. Wednesday until 10 a.m. Thursday. Viewing will be allowed overnight if necessary.

The public memorial will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Petersen Events Center in Oakland.

As is the case with any fallen policemen ceremony, there will be participation from across the country.

Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper says police officers from as far away as California and Canada plan to attend.

Philadelphia Police are also helping with the ceremony.

A fund has been set up by the Fraternal Order of Police for the families.

"The fund is something which long-term there's children involved here, the families, there's a healing process, there's time for them to get on their feet and financially, initially it will be difficult for these families," Dan O'Hara, from the Pittsburgh FOP said.

Donations earmarked for the "Pittsburgh Fallen Heroes Fund" can be sent to the following address:

Pittsburgh Fallen Heroes Fund
Greater Pittsburgh Police Federal Credit Union
1338 Chartiers Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15220

For more information, call the Greater Pittsburgh Police FCU at 412-922-4800 or log on to www.pittsburghpolicefop.com or www.pittsburghpolicefcu.com

All three officers were given the city's Medal of Honor and Purple Heart.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #33
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

My prayers go out to all.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #34
HometownGal
Living Legend

O M G!

http://postgazette.com/pg/09097/961068-53.stm

Critical error by 911 worker failed to note Poplawski owned guns
Call center chief admits 3 officers did not get crucial information

Tuesday, April 07, 2009
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When Richard Poplawski's mother called 911 to ask that her son be removed from their home in Stanton Heights, she acknowledged that he had weapons. But that crucial piece of information never was relayed to the three Pittsburgh police officers who responded Saturday and were fatally shot.

"It should have gone out," Allegheny County Chief of Emergency Services Robert A. Full said yesterday.

Chief Full acknowledged that one of his employees made a mistake but said it was an anomaly considering the 911 center successfully handles almost 1.5 million calls a year.

"There was human error," Chief Full said in an evening interview at 911 headquarters in Point Breeze. "We are all living this now forever and ever."

Mr. Poplawski, 22, is accused of killing officers Paul J. Sciullo II, Stephen J. Mayhle and Eric Kelly and wounding Officer Timothy McManaway. Police said he had an AK-47, a rifle and a pistol.

Chief Full would not identify the 911 call-taker other than to say she has been on the job for less than a year, including training. She was placed on paid administrative leave and has been offered counseling.

"There is no excuse. It could have been handled better, without a doubt," Chief Full said. "If there were any kind of indications there were weapons, the dispatcher would have put it out."

Mr. Poplawski's mother, Margaret Poplawski, called 911 at 7:03 a.m. Saturday asking for police to remove her son from the Fairfield Street home.

On a recording of that call, which was played for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, she sounded calm. In fact, she sounded irritated several times when she was asked to repeat basic information. She even paused twice to chide Mr. Poplawski in the background, saying, "Are you moving or what? Or the police gotta come?"

"I'm requesting that he gets out," Ms. Poplawski said, speaking on her son's cell phone to the 911 operator. "He came in last night when I was gone. ... He stays, he comes and goes, but I want him out."

"Does he have any weapons or anything?" the call-taker asked.

"Yes," Ms. Poplawski answered. There was a long pause. "They're all legal."

"OK, but he's not threatening you with anything?" the call-taker asked.

Ms. Poplawski did not answer. Instead, she said, "Look, I'm just waking up from a sleep. I want him gone."

The call ended cordially.

"OK, we'll send 'em over, OK?" the call-taker said.

"Sounds good."

Chief Full noted that Ms. Poplawski was casual and unhurried during the call and added that "probably a quarter of the houses in Allegheny County have weapons." But he also said the call-taker should have asked more questions once Ms. Poplawski acknowledged the presence of weapons -- a red flag.

Top police brass are aware of the situation, Chief Full said. No one from the department could be reached for comment last night.

However, former Fraternal Order of Police President James Malloy described such an omission as "heart-breaking."

Officers knowing that someone involved in a domestic dispute has guns would handle the situation with more caution, he said.

"You approach the house with a different attitude. You approach the house from a distance. You park your car a distance away from the house so you can hit the dirt," said Mr. Malloy, a retired sergeant.

Each call to the 911 center in Point Breeze is handled by a call-taker, who types information onto a computer screen. That information is sent electronically to a dispatcher, who reads it and sends the police officers on their assignments.

On Saturday, the call-taker typed "no weapons" on her screen -- likely a reference to no weapons being involved in the dispute at hand between Ms. Poplawski and her son.

"When she put 'no weapons,' we swear that she meant to put, 'no weapons involved,' " said Robert P. Harvey, the 911 communications manager.

She never entered any information about weapons being in the house, which is information the dispatcher likely would have broadcast to police, had she known it.

Instead, the dispatcher sent Officer Sciullo and Officer Mayhle, who were less than an hour from ending their shifts, to Fairfield Street for a "mother and son domestic." No mention was made of weapons in the brief dispatch.

County 911 officials uncovered the problem over the weekend during a standard review of how the critical incident was handled.

Chief Full described the call-taker as distraught and emotionally fragile, and he said officials had not been able to get a coherent explanation from her about why she did not ask further questions about the weapons or include the detail in the transmission to the dispatcher.

"She did extremely well in her training, and she was cleared to work the floor by all training officers," Chief Full said.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #35
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

First of all, my condolences to the families of the officers and I hope their murderer is hung, drawn, quartered, put back together again, and then hung.

Second, I smell a HUGE lawsuit coming after that 911 call-taker screw-up.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #36
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Second, I smell a HUGE lawsuit coming after that 911 call-taker screw-up.
Though she erred on the side of being human, I'm afraid she's TOAST.

The original story came out that Poplawski's mother told the dispatcher that there were no guns when she was asked, but now it is clear that simply wasn't true.

All I know is that if either of my kids lived with me and was stockpiling assault weapons and ammo, I sure as hell would have made it a point to question them about it.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #37
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
my grandma called and said he was a (ex?)marine.
I'm happy to say that he was not a Marine (not that we don't have our fair share of lunatics in American History):

Quote:
Friends had said Poplawski had been booted out of Marine boot camp for throwing a lunch tray at a drill sergeant.

The Marines confirmed he was discharged from boot camp in Parris Island, S.C., in 2004, but said they could not disclose details because of privacy laws.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #38
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Though she erred on the side of being human, I'm afraid she's TOAST.

The original story came out that Poplawski's mother told the dispatcher that there were no guns when she was asked, but now it is clear that simply wasn't true.

All I know is that if either of my kids lived with me and was stockpiling assault weapons and ammo, I sure as hell would have made it a point to question them about it.
What a shame, due to her inexperienced. I actually have some sympathy for her as she has to live with this on her conscience. I coudn't imagine that.

I hope they fry this sick bastard.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #39
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I hope they fry this sick bastard.
Me thinks he'll get shanked in the County Jail at some point.

My question is (and maybe some of our law enforcement members can answer this for me) - WHY didn't one of the SWAT sharpshooters take him out when he was hanging out of the window over the garage firing at all of the officers who had arrived at the scene? I know they have to be given the command to do so, but why wasn't that command given?

New info coming out:

http://kdka.com/local/fallenheroes/S....2.979013.html

Slain Officer Mayhle Nearly Took Down Poplawski

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―
Even though the police officers responding to a domestic dispute in Stanton Heights didn't know Richard Poplawski had weapons, they did not go down without a fight.

Officer Stephen Mayhle was the second officer to enter the house and was immediately met with gunfire.

But through recreating the crime scene and an interview with the suspect, police have learned that Mayhle fought on bravely and police say he would have put Poplawski down had he not been wearing a bullet-proof vest.

The two young officers arrived at the house together, unaware of the firepower on the other side of the front door.

Officer Paul Sciullo, who police say never had a chance, was immediately shot in the head by a shotgun wielding Richard Poplawski who was ready in wait.

But in recreating the crime scene and in interviews with the suspect, police have learned that Stephen Mayhle reacted swiftly and decisively and single-handedly tried to bring the incident to an end.

Police say Mayhle immediately drew his service revolver and shot Poplawski in the leg and then fired again, hitting Poplawski in the chest. It was a round that probably would have killed him except for Poplawski's bulletproof vest.

Instead, Poplawski fell to the floor his shotgun knocked from his hands. Police say Poplawski then scrambled into the bedroom where he grabbed his AK-47, as Mayhle followed into the bedroom doorway where they say Poplawksi fired, hitting Mayhle in the head.

When he was hit, Mayhle stumbled backward and collapsed in the front door. But rather than give aid, police say Poplawski stood over him and shot him several more times.

Police say they do not want to do interviews about Officer Mayhle's heroics and the heroics of other officers until after the funeral.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #40
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Me thinks he'll get shanked in the County Jail at some point.

My question is (and maybe some of our law enforcement members can answer this for me) - WHY didn't one of the SWAT sharpshooters take him out when he was hanging out of the window over the garage firing at all of the officers who had arrived at the scene? I know they have to be given the command to do so, but why wasn't that command given?

New info coming out:

http://kdka.com/local/fallenheroes/S....2.979013.html

Slain Officer Mayhle Nearly Took Down Poplawski

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―
Even though the police officers responding to a domestic dispute in Stanton Heights didn't know Richard Poplawski had weapons, they did not go down without a fight.

Officer Stephen Mayhle was the second officer to enter the house and was immediately met with gunfire.

But through recreating the crime scene and an interview with the suspect, police have learned that Mayhle fought on bravely and police say he would have put Poplawski down had he not been wearing a bullet-proof vest.

The two young officers arrived at the house together, unaware of the firepower on the other side of the front door.

Officer Paul Sciullo, who police say never had a chance, was immediately shot in the head by a shotgun wielding Richard Poplawski who was ready in wait.

But in recreating the crime scene and in interviews with the suspect, police have learned that Stephen Mayhle reacted swiftly and decisively and single-handedly tried to bring the incident to an end.

Police say Mayhle immediately drew his service revolver and shot Poplawski in the leg and then fired again, hitting Poplawski in the chest. It was a round that probably would have killed him except for Poplawski's bulletproof vest.

Instead, Poplawski fell to the floor his shotgun knocked from his hands. Police say Poplawski then scrambled into the bedroom where he grabbed his AK-47, as Mayhle followed into the bedroom doorway where they say Poplawksi fired, hitting Mayhle in the head.

When he was hit, Mayhle stumbled backward and collapsed in the front door. But rather than give aid, police say Poplawski stood over him and shot him several more times.

Police say they do not want to do interviews about Officer Mayhle's heroics and the heroics of other officers until after the funeral.
Man, hearing that makes ya even more sick. To think that at least two officers may have been saved.