Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...032709aaa.html
Penn State, Paterno Open Spring Drills
Four months after hip replacement surgery, Paterno pronounced himself back at 100 percent
March 27, 2009

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -The glasses were thick and smoky, and the Nike sneakers were as jet-black as ever.

Yup, Joe Paterno's back. No cane in sight, the 82-year-old Hall of Famer paced the Penn State practice field Friday, the second day of spring drills.

Four months after hip replacement surgery, Paterno pronounced himself back at 100 percent, with the continued goal of returning to the sideline when the season opens this fall. Paterno spent the last eight games of the 2008 campaign coaching from the press box.

"I feel great. I'm not sure about from the neck up, but from the neck down, I'm OK," he joked before practice in his first meeting with reporters since the Rose Bowl. "I'm fine, really. That's a dead issue."

As for the Rose Bowl, that's a different story.

The 38-24 loss to Southern California on Jan. 1 made for bitter offseason memories in the minds of the Big Ten champions.

"Absolutely," Paterno quickly replied when asked if the loss lingered over the winter. "We didn't play well, we didn't coach well. I walked away from it not feeling good about anything. I think we can do better."

No break for the returning players when they returned to Happy Valley. They went right into what fifth-year linebacker Sean Lee described as one of the toughest winter workout regimens he's been through in his career.

"We want to get back to a situation like that, if not better," said Lee, who missed last season because of a right knee injury.

To do so, though, Paterno will need to patch many holes. Just five starters return on offense and four on defense. The entire secondary must be replaced.

Paterno has been especially fond in the past of using the spring to shuttle younger players into different positions to see if they're a better fit elsewhere.

"I think we got a lot of work ahead of us, but I don't think it's situation where we can't be a good football team," he said.

Gone, at least, is last spring's drama about Paterno's expiring contract, a distraction that hung around the program until JoePa and the university finalized a three-year extension last December.

Now, the focus is seemingly just on football as Paterno heads into his record 44th season as head coach, and his 60th on the Penn State staff counting his days as an assistant.

There's a solid footing of leaders next year with Lee back from injury and quarterback Daryll Clark ready to take charge on offense.

Another key returnee is defensive line assistant coach Larry Johnson, who interviewed for the Illinois defensive coordinator job but ended up staying at Penn State. Paterno said he had been worried about losing Johnson, one of his top recruiters, but told him he didn't need to be a coordinator to eventually take a head-coaching job.

Paterno also weighed in on the situation facing his friend and Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden, who may have to forfeit as many as 14 of his 382 career wins as part of NCAA sanctions over an academic cheating scandal. JoePa is the leader for victories among major college coaches with 383.

Florida State has accepted some of the NCAA sanctions, but has said it will appeal the punishment to strip the school of victories.

"I don't think that should have anything to do with Bobby's record. I don't think Bobby had much to do with what happened," Paterno said when asked if he had spoken to Bowden. "I just hope people don't distort what a great coach Bobby Bowden has been, which he has been."

Otherwise, an affable Paterno traded his usual friendly jabs with reporters, and put a pitch in for the Penn State basketball team. He plans to watch the Nittany Lions in New York when they play Notre Dame in the NIT semifinals.

A native New Yorker, Paterno said he played basketball in the old Madison Square Garden in high school, and told stories of watching big men like George Mikan play there in the NIT.

Then, hamming for the camera, Paterno displayed his free-throw technique from his youth - a two-handed underhand shot that started between his knees.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017
Paterno has no worries when it comes to Lee
By Matt Herb,sports@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK - If nothing else, Joe Paterno knows what to expect from one facet of his defending Big Ten champion football team. That facet's name: Sean Lee.

Paterno said Friday, just before heading to Holuba Hall for the Nittany Lions' second practice of the spring, he isn't planning on pushing the fifth-year senior linebacker to the limit.

"Lee doesn't have to prove anything to us," he said. "We know that he's a football player."

Labeled "one of the best kids I've ever coached" by Paterno, Lee missed the 2008 season after the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee was torn last April while he was chasing quarterback Daryll Clark during spring drills. The 2007 All-American said his surgically repaired and extensively rehabbed knee has been feeling normal again for about the past month and a half, and he's eager to start hitting.

"I'm going to do seven-on-seven, agility drills, linebacker drills," Lee said "I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do. And whatever drill I do, I'm going to do 100 percent. If they want to take me out, they'll take me out."

It appears the coaches do indeed plan on having him give way when contact is involved. Said Paterno, "We've got some young kids that we've got to find out some things about."

Lee aside, there's a lot to be learned about this squad this spring, and not just at linebacker. Penn State has lost six starters on offense and seven on defense, as well as four-year starting kicker Kevin Kelly. Graduation hit the Lions especially hard on the offensive line and at the receiver and defensive back positions.

The secondary will be one of the team's primary concerns with four starters gone. The Lions have a potential rising star in safety Drew Astorino, and veteran cornerback A.J. Wallace returns as well, but even so, the Lions are anxious to see what they've got.

"We've got to get a secondary that can stand on its own two feet," Paterno said. "That's one of the big jobs we have."

On offense, Paterno said the Lions will try to avoid scaling back their plans, even with three new starters manning the offensive line and Graham Zug, Brett Brackett, Derrick Moye and Chaz Powell vying to replace standout receivers Deon Butler, Derrick Williams and Jordan Norwood.

"We're not going to go into it with the idea it's going to affect us. We're going to try to do the things we've done," Paterno said. "A lot of those kids have been around. We've got a quarterback who's been there. And of the wideouts, Zug has played a lot of football and Brackett knows what's going on. Powell has played some. Moye has not played a lot, but he's been around. So I wouldn't want to change a lot. But we'll do what we have to do. If it doesn't work out that way and we have to go back to the single-wing, we'll go back to the single-wing."

Clark said the Nittany Lions have been driven during the winter and the start of spring practice by memories of their lopsided 38-24 loss to USC in the Rose Bowl.

"We kind of forgot about it, but we didn't forget about it, if you know what I mean," Clark said. "That's been motivation. The national championship is going to be out at the Rose Bowl this year, and that's everyone's goal. We've gotten a lot of the young guys in tune with what we're trying to accomplish this year, and it showed in winter workouts."

Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Franco32Harris
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12191

I think I may have to go to the Ohio State game this year.
Franco32Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco32Harris View Post
I think I may have to go to the Ohio State game this year.
It always sells out fast. When you hear the public sale date if you plan on buying through the school, I recommend you buy them on that day. (Just thought I'd give you a friendly heads up)

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...033009aaf.html

Today's Press Transcript.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #16
JHSilverback
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12082

I'm transfering to Main Campus next fall and I'm fired up for the football season already..hopefully I can get my student season tickets for the season...also what everyones thoughts on how the oline and recieving groups are going to look for PSU this year? and anyone else notice that how many large dbs we recurited hmmm makes me wonder if we are going to a more man to man feel instead of zone
JHSilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSilverback View Post
I'm transfering to Main Campus next fall and I'm fired up for the football season already..hopefully I can get my student season tickets for the season...also what everyones thoughts on how the oline and recieving groups are going to look for PSU this year? and anyone else notice that how many large dbs we recurited hmmm makes me wonder if we are going to a more man to man feel instead of zone
Good Luck with getting tickets. You probably know already they do them by class each day. Word of note, Ticketmaster system sometimes sucks. First year they did that, someone I know up at the campus had trouble getting tickets.

O-Line should be alright. But for me to make an honest opinion, I'll have to see them durin the Blue White Game

WR I think we'll be alright. Zug has shown that he can lead the way. I also like recruit Justin Brown.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,571 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Won't be a bad year for Penn State but ending up in second place in the Big Ten won't make it seem like a good year.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If they win it every 3rd or 4th season that ain't bad. I think they are better than every other team but OSU. Michigan will be hung over for a few years. Iowa came on at the end but aren't quite there yet. Michigan State may make a move into the Big 10 elite. Wiscy is still good but not PSU/OSU good. Illinois is a big question mark. They have the talent but is Zook the right coach?

I've got 2009 as:
OSU
PSU
Iowa
MSU
Wiscy
Michigan

With the usual bottom feeders scrambling to qualify to play Tulsa in the the Meineke Muffler Bowl....
Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
If they win it every 3rd or 4th season that ain't bad. I think they are better than every other team but OSU. Michigan will be hung over for a few years. Iowa came on at the end but aren't quite there yet. Michigan State may make a move into the Big 10 elite. Wiscy is still good but not PSU/OSU good. Illinois is a big question mark. They have the talent but is Zook the right coach?

I've got 2009 as:
OSU
PSU
Iowa
MSU
Wiscy
Michigan

With the usual bottom feeders scrambling to qualify to play Tulsa in the the Meineke Muffler Bowl....
Penn State in my opinion, is on the same playing level as Ohio State. However, if they're going to beat Ohio State, they must get good linemen who can keep Darryl Clark upright and find the rights guys to replace Maybin and Evans.