Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: i finally got stung by a scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Was it one of those little yellowish sob's?

Still to this day I have a habit of knocking out my shoes before I put them on.
When I was in Iraq...I got stung on top of my right foot by one of the little white ones...it put an acorn sized pus-filled knot on my foot and had to be lanced.

The Army doc gave me a note to give to my company commander, that said I had to go without a boot for week.

Long way back to base...note got lost and I wore my boot VERY loosely laced.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
When I was in Iraq...I got stung on top of my right foot by one of the little white ones...it put an acorn sized pus-filled knot on my foot and had to be lanced.

The Army doc gave me a note to give to my company commander, that said I had to go without a boot for week.

Long way back to base...note got lost and I wore my boot VERY loosely laced.
Ouch!

Mine wasn't that bad, like Tony said its like a bee or wasp sting. Also like Tony I thought I had a death sentence, the doctor laughed at me.

This is what kind it was.

Quote:
Paruroctonus boreus (Girard, 1854)
northern scorpion
Photo of concolorous (auratus) form courtesy of and Copyright 1999 R. David Gaban.
Photo of common P. boreus (preserved female from Idaho) by KJM and W.M. Burrell Copyright 2001.
Photo of live female from Alberta, Canada, courtesy of and Copyright 2001 Prof. Dan Johnson, University of Lethbridge.
Distribution: Common in a variety of habitats and elevations (to over 2000 m, 7000 ft). Western North America, from southern Canada to northern Arizona to eastern California, essentially excluding the northwest coastal region and the Mojave and Sonora Deserts. The northern scorpion probably occurs in northwestern New Mexico (Gertsch and Soleglad 1966).
Canada: British Columbia: Okanagon Lake Valley; Alberta: Medicine Hat to Red Deer and Calgary. Sasketchewan?
USA: Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and northern Arizona.
Checklist to the American Scorpion

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I live in the central Florida coast area & have never seen a scorpion, thank God. I think I would totally flip my lid. I'd kill it of course, but my screams would be heard for blocks!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Ouch!

Mine wasn't that bad, like Tony said its like a bee or wasp sting. Also like Tony I thought I had a death sentence, the doctor laughed at me.

This is what kind it was.

yep. thats the culprit.... giant lobster claws, beady black eyes, translucent legs, and a swollen poison pouch with a rose thorn stinger.

a couple of years back i saw an unusually large and darker, veiny triumpant bastard crawling on my garage wall. as i got closer, i saw that it was a mother scorp with about 100 tiny little babies clinging to its body. i hit it so hard with a shoe i thought i was gonna put a hole in the drywall. i still got the stain their as a sign of victory and warning to others.

did you know them bastards crawl on the ceiling? its a little tougher killing one with a broom handle. even after theyre smached their tails are trying to sting something.

*shudders*
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 1,342 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yep. thats the culprit.... giant lobster claws, beady black eyes, translucent legs, and a swollen poison pouch with a rose thorn stinger.

a couple of years back i saw an unusually large and darker, veiny triumpant bastard crawling on my garage wall. as i got closer, i saw that it was a mother scorp with about 100 tiny little babies clinging to its body. i hit it so hard with a shoe i thought i was gonna put a hole in the drywall. i still got the stain their as a sign of victory and warning to others.

did you know them bastards crawl on the ceiling? its a little tougher killing one with a broom handle. even after theyre smached their tails are trying to sting something.

*shudders*
Haven't any of you guys ever tried to capture a couple and have a scorpion death match (like in the shitty film Jarhead)?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #26
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

*shudders*
Yep...Thats when you invest in one of these. Fry em like bacon on a hot griddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Haven't any of you guys ever tried to capture a couple and have a scorpion death match (like in the shitty film Jarhead)?
Did when I was in Nevada. Put them in a 10 gal. fish tank and all they did was try to hide. No death match's. Then my dad found out and got in big trouble for playing with scorpions. They can kill you with one sting don't ya know.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 04-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
tony hipchest

Quote:
They can kill you with one sting don't ya know.
your dad and my mom musta went to the same school. "i always thought they were deadly."

heres another one... ive always been told a tarantula bite is no worse than a bee sting. now they are rather peaceful and docile but have you seen the size of their fangs? they cant even fit in their mouth they are literally as big as the lead in a really sharpened pencil.

no way that hurts less than a freaking bee.

(just for reference, it is pretty difficult to hold a tarantula with 1 hand and extend its fang out with a toothpick in the other hand.)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #28
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

[YOUTUBE]I9g4CCCis2Y[/YOUTUBE]

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i sat on one in iraq and i got the forest gump treatment for a week or so! where did it sting ya .... in the buttocks sir.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #30
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
i sat on one in iraq and i got the forest gump treatment for a week or so! where did it sting ya .... in the buttocks sir.
"i'd like to see that....

God damn, son" lol

hey fansince, how bout this classic?

[YOUTUBE]9Ntn8yfOmIA[/YOUTUBE]

i love it!