Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Pro Football Weekly Whispers April 12, 2009

Whispers — league wrap-up
By PFW staff
April 12, 2009

NFC Whispers

Buccaneers QB Luke McCown’s psyche doesn’t appear to be bruised, despite his team’s aggressive pursuit of players who would compete with him for the starting spot under center, we hear. Although GM Mark Dominik and head coach Raheem Morris say they’re comfortable with McCown as the starter next season, Tampa Bay was involved in two different rounds of negotiations to acquire Jay Cutler and, on Sunday, reached agreement with unrestricted free agent and former Steelers backup Byron Leftwich on a two-year deal. Sources say McCown has handled himself well throughout the process and seems confident he can compete with Leftwich.

While many figured the Buccaneers would be targeting an athletic, playmaking defensive tackle in the draft’s first round, or at least early on, sources say the team’s philosophic change on defense has thrown that conventional wisdom into question. Bucs defensive coordinator Jim Bates favors bulky, space-eating tackles who can clog gaps on the interior, which is a departure from the smaller, quicker tackles the team used during Monte Kiffin’s tenure. If Boston College’s B.J. Raji isn’t available when the Bucs pick 19th, the team will probably hold off and look for a widebody in the later rounds.

The word is that there has been no tangible progress toward granting Eagles QB Donovan McNabb a contract extension, which he has said he’d like. That said, there is plenty of time after the draft to get something done, and the Eagles like to conduct their business when there is little else going on.

One source believes a Browns-Giants deal involving WR Braylon Edwards “is dead for now,” but those talks could escalate again as the draft draws closer.

We hear it’s not just Vikings head coach Brad Childress who is concerned about RB Adrian Peterson’s interest in adding 12-13 pounds to his 217-pound frame. Other Vikings coaches feel Peterson has the bulk he needs at 217 and might sacrifice his game-breaking ability if he bulked up much more.

When PFW asked its Packers insiders to pick out the one player who might qualify as the biggest sleeper on the roster this coming season, the biggest vote-getter was former D-lineman Jeremy Thompson, who they believe could be in the mix at right outside linebacker in the team’s new 3-4 scheme. Word is the athletic second-year player showed some eye-opening flashes down the stretch.

One of the Chicago sports-talk radio stations reported that new Bears QB Jay Cutler took it upon himself to reach out to recently released Giants WR Plaxico Burress about his possible interest in playing in the Windy City. There was no mention, however, whether Cutler made the inquiry with the blessings of the Bears’ front office.

When the subject of Cardinals defensive ends pops up in the desert these days, the names of second-year DEs Calais Campbell and Kenny Iwebema are the ones most often mentioned in conversations among team insiders. That’s particularly the case with Campbell, who is expected to replace the departed Antonio Smith in the starting lineup. But another young player who we hear shouldn’t be forgotten is Keilen Dykes, who spent last year on the practice squad. “They kind of like him,” said one insider of the 6-3, 294-pound West Virginia product. “He’s a big, thick, strong guy who could also swing inside.”

FS O.J. Atogwe, the Rams’ designated “franchise” player, was asked at the team’s first minicamp whether there have been any long-term contract discussions on his behalf. “I think there are talks in the wind,” Atogwe said. “We haven’t really sat down recently to actually start working out the logistics or the specifics, but if it were to happen, then praise God. If it doesn’t, then praise God (just) the same. I’m committed to this team.”

Our Niners sources have been intrigued by free-agent addition Marvel Smith’s unusual blocking stance, which makes it look like he’s praying because of the way he holds up his hands in front of his face. “I changed my stance three or four times throughout my career, and I’ve pretty much been using that stance for the last five or six years,” the former Steeler said at his first press conference with the local media. “… It’s perfect for me because I just got to keep my hand up in front of my face and stuff like that because, to me, pass blocking is just like boxing. I’ve done a lot of boxing training in the offseason, and it started correlating with it. I feel like I’m a lot more explosive out of it.”

Not long after leaving the Seahawks and signing with the Eagles, FB Leonard Weaver raised some eyebrows when he made some comments about the Seattle locker room being a bit divided. But the way we hear it, it was not a locker room-wide division that Weaver was referring to but rather a difference of opinion specifically among the team’s running backs, as the departed fullback’s locker was sandwiched between players with contrasting feelings about their situations.

AFC Whispers

After a 2008 season in which his play was admittedly subpar, Chargers SS Clinton Hart has spent extra time at the club's facilities this offseason in an effort to put on weight and improve physically. Having placed too much on his own shoulders last season after being named team captain, he's focusing more on playing within his defined role this year. Hart knows that if his performance on the field continues to come up short, San Diego won't hesitate to sit the 31-year-old on the bench and look elsewhere.

Raiders free-agent acquisition DT Ryan Boschetti is far from the team’s most talented tackle and isn’t expected to be much more than a rotational backup. Oakland signed him because it was impressed with his work ethic, which is something that has been lacking on the team’s interior D-line in recent years, sources say. We hear the Raiders expect Boschetti to set a new, more fiery tone for often-sluggish DTs Tommy Kelly, Gerard Warren and Terdell Sands.

A report on NFL.com that the Bills are looking to shop WR-PR Roscoe Parrish could stir up quite the firestorm within the AFC East because two of the teams that could be most interested are the Jets and Dolphins. Generally, teams are loath to trade players to a divisional opponent, but word we’re getting is that Buffalo won’t be ruling out anything. Its sense of urgency to win now is so great that if an offer from a divisional club substantially exceeds that of another club, it will be tempted to pull the trigger.

The Dolphins have big plans this offseason. Literally. Word from South Florida is that one of the team’s primary goals is pumping some size into its lineup, which has been evidenced by many of the draft prospects it has been working out. It’s also apparent by its treatment and evaluations of veterans, such as its intention of giving 6-4, 225-pound WR Ernest Wilford a shot in training camp despite his bust of a first season in Miami, as well as its lukewarm interest in bringing back Jason Taylor, whose strength and girth have atrophied with age.

The way we hear it, the Browns are a good bet to add another safety before the start of the season, whether it be via free agency or the draft, to bolster the depth behind slated starters Brodney Pool and Mike Adams or perhaps even challenge for a starting job.

A source close to the club says the Steelers will not go into the ’09 season with just Ben Roethlisberger and Dennis Dixon at quarterback. A third passer for the depth chart — and one whose arrival would push Dixon back into the No. 3 role — will be added at some point.

The re-signing of MLB-OLB Tyjuan Hagler and the addition of burly free-agent MLB Adam Seward has sent a message that the Colts are placing a priority on becoming a more physical defense. Under former coach Tony Dungy, the Colts and their Tampa-2 scheme were known for faster-flowing linebackers who were often undersized and underwhelming at the point at attack. But their difficulties stopping the run a season ago has given the team pause to consider that it might be wise to add some beef.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...apup041209.htm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Re: Pro Football Weekly Whispers April 12, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
The word is that there has been no tangible progress toward granting Eagles QB Donovan McNabb a contract extension, which he has said he’d like. That said, there is plenty of time after the draft to get something done, and the Eagles like to conduct their business when there is little else going on.
If the Eagles FO haven't made any progress up to now, then what makes anyone think they will at all? Of course, they have their "over 30" rule to boot.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if McNabb to [whatever team] for a bunch of picks/players is the next big "blockbuster" trade.

Quote:
When the subject of Cardinals defensive ends pops up in the desert these days, the names of second-year DEs Calais Campbell and Kenny Iwebema are the ones most often mentioned in conversations among team insiders. That’s particularly the case with Campbell, who is expected to replace the departed Antonio Smith in the starting lineup. But another young player who we hear shouldn’t be forgotten is Keilen Dykes, who spent last year on the practice squad. “They kind of like him,” said one insider of the 6-3, 294-pound West Virginia product. “He’s a big, thick, strong guy who could also swing inside.”
I feel the Cards could break the "Super Bowl losers curse" quite simply b/c they have alot of young talent. Of course, if someone is willing to fork over a bunch of picks for Boldin, then they're really in business.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

So that means no Batch? Or they want to wait and offer him the lowest amount possible to come back?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Buccaneers QB Luke McCown’s psyche doesn’t appear to be bruised, despite his team’s aggressive pursuit of players who would compete with him for the starting spot under center, we hear.
Well, that sounds about right. If you were him, first you'd get upset for a little bit, but then you'd go, "Wait a minute. I'm Luke McCown! I belong on the bench!"