Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #41
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
Thats good news from McCutchen, every1 assumes he is major league ready but we are holding him in the minors to delay arbitration by a year. Thats not to surpising about the pitching staff in AAA, all of our top pitching prospects are moslty in AA, and some in High A.

Speaking of High A, Pedro Alvarez has a Home Run and SIX RBIs in just two games, he managed two RBIs last night without even getting a hit. The Hillcats are 2-0 and last night Justin Wilson got the win, he was the winning pitcher for Fresno State in the College World Series Championship game.

AA is 0-3, which isnt good considering most of our other high prospects are there. Brian Friday has looked the best, along with Jim Negrych and Jose Tabata. Pitching looks to be getting roughed up as well.
Hard to believe that all of that pitching the Pirates drafted over the years that they still have problems with pitching. Guess they need to try to draft pitching AGAIN this summer, except this time, no C and D list cheapies that Littlebrain drafted. We need studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Lord knows I've tried to forget about Snell's first outing...

Today's game was a beautiful combination of everything.

Nice offensive efficiency. If they turn over 80% of their hits into runs this season, they may just stand a chance.

Maholm looked awesome again. I'm nervous that a member of this rotation may ACTUALLY put together back-to-back strong seasons.

Don't worry... I'm knocking on wood.

Let's see if they can get a mini-sweep tomorrow.

LAROCHE WATCH: LaRoche the Younger is now 0-12, but didn't hand the opposition any runs with the glove.
Maholm has been great so far, but as with everything Bucs, I'm cautiously optimistic that he can keep it up. As for LaRoche the Younger, I'll give him until the end of the month to get his shit together, and if he doesn't, put him on the bench. Vasquez isn't much of an upgrade, but he'll do for now. If push comes to shove, call up Walker. I don't, however, want to see them rush Alvarez to the majors before he's ready.

Here's hoping Snell finally realizes that he's not Pedro Martinez and can't blow through hitters. We need him to be decent at least.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Hard to believe that all of that pitching the Pirates drafted over the years that they still have problems with pitching. Guess they need to try to draft pitching AGAIN this summer, except this time, no C and D list cheapies that Littlebrain drafted. We need studs.
A couple of their prospects down in Altoona (Moskos and Lincoln both Littlefield picks) haven't been too good either.

Lincoln 4 IP 3 H 3 R 3 ER 2 BB 6 K 1 HR 6.75 ERA
Moskos 1 IP 2 H 1 R 1 ER 0 BB 1 K 0 HR 9.00 ERA

Funny Part is, Littlefield still had a shot to pick up a good catcher when Moskos was on the board.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #43
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
A couple of their prospects down in Altoona (Moskos and Lincoln both Littlefield picks) haven't been too good either.

Lincoln 4 IP 3 H 3 R 3 ER 2 BB 6 K 1 HR 6.75 ERA
Moskos 1 IP 2 H 1 R 1 ER 0 BB 1 K 0 HR 9.00 ERA

Funny Part is, Littlefield still had a shot to pick up a good catcher when Moskos was on the board.
I think Lincoln will eventually be good, but the Moskos pick was just ridiculous with Matt Wieters still on the board at the time. Had it been Huntington, I guarantee you he drafts Wieters over Moskos. That pick was clearly for salary reasons - Moskos commanded a much smaller signing bonus and contract than Wieters did. Thank God management finally realized that if they want quality young talent, they needed to spend a little bit more money.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #44
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

X,

Are you like me? Do you die a little bit inside every time you hear about the Orioles new big prospect catcher that's coming up this year?

The absurdity of the situation is that it was clear IMMEDIATELY that the Buccos had blown it when they took Moskos. They should have taken Weiters, but I'm glad it panned out with Doumit. I still wish we had Weiters AND Doumit (hell, I'd love to put one at first), but oh well.

I'm still pulling for Andy LaRoche, as well. There's SOME talent buried in there. Part of me wants him to succeed from a purely genuine perspective... Most of me wants him to succeed so that I don't even have to think about P.A. in a Pirates uni this season.

Could you imagine this offense with Aramis Ramirez at third...

Last edited by Crushzilla; 04-12-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Wrong LaRoche
Crushzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #45
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

I guess it's fair to say that a troubling trend is beginning to show.

After a 12 hit 10 run performance yesterday, the Pirates could only muster three knocks today against Aaron Harang.

I only caught the last few innings, but it wasn't looking especially good at the plate.

Jack Wilson continued to beast. His diving snag that started a 6-4-3 was beautiful, and he got the ball rolling on the first Pirates' triple play in SIXTEEN years.

If you missed it, you can see the defensive gems here on MLB.com's wrap of the game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...lb_1&mode=wrap

LAROCHE WATCH: It's beginning to look a lot like April as Team LaRoche went a combined 0-5 with 2 Ks. LaRoche the Younger is still searching for his first hit of the campaign (he's now 0-14). LaRoche the Elder unfortunately has settled into his early season slump. In their defense, the bats looked pretty shotty today, and Andy did crank a warning track job in the 7th (I believe).
Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #46
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Snell pitched GREAT today. Our bats just didnt show up today.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #47
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Snell pitched GREAT today. Our bats just didnt show up today.
I didn't tune in until after Snell peaced. Unfortunately, I only have the quantitative data to evaluate him.

The pitching has been pretty promising. Hopefully, the rotation can maintain the level of quality after our batting order gels up a bit.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #48
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I didn't tune in until after Snell peaced. Unfortunately, I only have the quantitative data to evaluate him.

The pitching has been pretty promising. Hopefully, the rotation can maintain the level of quality after our batting order gels up a bit.
Other than the first when Snell gave up the 2-run HR, he pitched pretty well. Unfortunately, it wasn't well enough. I think the pitching will be fine for now, but as the season goes along, I can see it breaking down due to the lack of run support. I hope I'm wrong, but so far the offense has been pretty inconsistent.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #49
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Other than the first when Snell gave up the 2-run HR, he pitched pretty well. Unfortunately, it wasn't well enough. I think the pitching will be fine for now, but as the season goes along, I can see it breaking down due to the lack of run support. I hope I'm wrong, but so far the offense has been pretty inconsistent.
As much as I'd love to add another high quality bat in the first-year draft, I don't know if they CAN'T take a pitcher.

I am admittedly under-read on the talent out there this year. The Pirates pick... 4th?

Any prospects you like that I should read up on?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #50
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
As much as I'd love to add another high quality bat in the first-year draft, I don't know if they CAN'T take a pitcher.

I am admittedly under-read on the talent out there this year. The Pirates pick... 4th?

Any prospects you like that I should read up on?
There is Steven Strasburg. Who some say is the best Overall player, let alone pitcher. He probably will go #1 overall. If he falls to the Pirates, awesome!!!