Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default PA Gov. Rendell Wants Tough Gun Laws in Response to Cop Killings

HARRISBURG Flanked by police officers and mayors, Gov. Ed Rendell today called on Congress to enact a federal assault weapons ban and for the state Legislature to revisit gun control measures that failed to win support in 2007.

In response to the fatal shooting of three Pittsburgh police officers on April 4, Rendell said it's time to reinstate the federal ban on assault weapons that expired in 2004. Richard Poplawski, 22, armed with an AK-47 and two other guns, is accused of killing officers Eric Kelly, 41, Stephen Mayhle, 29, and Paul Sciullo II, 36. "These weapons have absolutely no purpose except to kill. They can't be used for sport. They can't be used for hunting," Rendell said.

Rendell later acknowledged "this might not be the right time" when asked about a Newsweek report that President Barack Obama's domestic agenda is more focused on the economy and health care. Rendell said U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.., is prepared to move forward with a ban."She'll choose the right time," he said.

At the state level, Rendell called on lawmakers to enact legislation allowing municipalities to enact their own gun control laws. That would enable cities like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, York, and Reading, to fashion their own legislation, he said. Rendell also asked state lawmakers to approve legislation requiring lost and stolen handguns to be reported.

"Enough is enough," said Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl. "We have to protect our police officers, our city and our state."

"We're here today unified and united to support these efforts," Ravehstahl said.

"I hope no other chief has to live through what I lived through that day," said Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper.

"How much blood has to be spilled in the streets of America?" Harper said.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_620779.html
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,885 Times in 2,121 Posts
Default Re: PA Gov. Rendell Wants Tough Gun Laws in Response to Cop Killings

but shooting guns is a sport.

while i own guns (2) my "sport" of choice is bowling.

i own 134 bowling balls. infact... i consider myself as an avid bowling ball "collector".

dis anyone know you can also kill someone with a bowling ball?

BAN BOWLING BALLS!!!!

*this post was brought to you by "tongue in cheek"*
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I used to deer hunt with an SKS which is considered an assult weapon..... The notion they can't be used for sport is crazy. What this rifle won't kill an animal, only humans?

Edit: Then maybe we should ban hunting, and while we're at it fishing too..... lets just ban everything untill each person as a government official strapped on their backs to make sure no laws are being violated.....
Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
I used to deer hunt with an SKS which is considered an assult weapon..... The notion they can't be used for sport is crazy. What this rifle won't kill an animal, only humans?

i agree but will also say part of the "sport" of hunting is NOT putting 35 holes in your game. if one needs an assault rifle to succsesfully "hunt", they probably suck and should consider a new hobby.

personally, i will kill anything with a 35 year old 30-30 rifle.... one shot or 2.... no scope.

oh, and anyone ever been murdered with a fish hook? why suggest banning fishing? Jesus fished. (not with dynamite though)
Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
but shooting guns is a sport.
Ever do any skeet or trap shooting.

PULL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
steelwall
Head Coach

Quote:
i agree but will also say part of the "sport" of hunting is NOT putting 35 holes in your game. if one needs an assault rifle to succsesfully "hunt", they probably suck and should consider a new hobby.

personally, i will kill anything with a 35 year old 30-30 rifle.... one shot or 2.... no scope.

oh, and anyone ever been murdered with a fish hook? why suggest banning fishing? Jesus fished. (not with dynamite though)
Because fishing hurts the wittle fishes..... come on you know what I'm getting at.

I also have a 30-30... well had one at the time, but I prefered the comfort, handleing, accuracy and the range the SKS provided. While I did have a 40 round clip I used the stantard issue 10 round mag when hunting.....and for the record I only ever killed 2 deer and 1 was one shot and the 2nd, 2 but both shots hit. so.....

I did alot of hunting in the woods,but would move from time to time to the edges of feilds, so a shotgun just wouldnt give the range. I seen the SKS as sort of a combination. Easy and fast sighting, with pretty good range.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Ever do any skeet or trap shooting.

PULL
Quote:
*this post was brought to you by "tongue in cheek"*
actually i havent, but would love to try. ive wasted lizards and bunnies with a 12 guage though.

the 1st time i ever got drunk in the 4th grade (my 1st whole beer) we were poaching bunnies in the back of a pick up with a spotlight and wasting cotton tails. (best friends moms BF was pretty cool).

we got a kangaroo rat too! (i didnt hit shit but it was my 1st time shootin a shotgun and drinking a beer. good times!

oh, to be 9 again.

wow. maybe i am fukked up.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
steelwall
Head Coach

Quote:
actually i havent, but would love to try. ive wasted lizards and bunnies with a 12 guage though.

the 1st time i ever got drunk in the 4th grade (my 1st whole beer) we were poaching bunnies in the back of a pick up with a spotlight and wasting cotton tails. (best friends moms BF was pretty cool).

we got a kangaroo rat too! (i didnt hit shit but it was my 1st time shootin a shotgun and drinking a beer. good times!

oh, to be 9 again.

Ok lets look at this. Now depending on the shot. You could potentially be fireing up to 30 individual pellets at a target per shell....... So it toke you 30 shots to hit a lizard??? Thats it... lets ban shotguns too!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

30-30, thats a pea shooter.

I started deer hunting with a .32 Special (30-30 on roids) Then I graduated to a 7MM Weatherby Mag. Nothing like reaching out 5-6 hundred yards if needed.

Oh yeah, I'm a firm believer of the one shot, one kill rule.

Back on topic, One of my friends uses an old Russian Mosin-Nagent rifle which shoots 7.62 X 54, the same round as a AK. It works fine for hunting, other than its a heavy sob.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:

oh, to be 9 again.

You should try it sometime, its kinda fun. I got a 10 Ga. I'll let you use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ