Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #41
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: PA Gov. Rendell Wants Tough Gun Laws in Response to Cop Killings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Well, that's the rub, if I live next door to you and want to own a nuclear based weapon, why should I not be allowed to? If the Legislature cannot restrict "arms" in any fashion, why can't I own my nuclear gun?
Point well made. We have had neighbors that we would prefer not have nukes.

"Somebody exploded an H-bomb today. But it wasn't anyone I knew"

All fun aside, where do you draw the line?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #42
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Point well made. We have had neighbors that we would prefer not have nukes.

All fun aside, where do you draw the line?
Personally, I think an assault weapons ban is good line. Still leaves a large number of weapons for sport and self-defense. I look at it like this; back when the constitution was written, they could never have envisioned the types of weapons we have now, nor can we envision the ones we will have in the future. While I tend to be an originalist in my Constitutional interpretation, I don't think a limit on the types of arms citizens are allowed to bear would be too terrible.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #43
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Personally, I think an assault weapons ban is good line. Still leaves a large number of weapons for sport and self-defense. I look at it like this; back when the constitution was written, they could never have envisioned the types of weapons we have now, nor can we envision the ones we will have in the future. While I tend to be an originalist in my Constitutional interpretation, I don't think a limit on the types of arms citizens are allowed to bear would be too terrible.
As an originalist you surely realize the intent of that amendment was to balance power. There is no balance in the gubmint having tanks and planes and nukes, and the citizens having sporting equipment.

And the very carefully chosen words forbid congress from abridging that right. It is what it is.

Little known fact. Switzerland remained free while the nazis overran Europe because their citizens are armed. The Swiss pointed out to the german high command that their officer corps would be decimated if they were to invade. To this day you will see the Swiss in public with their military gear.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
As an originalist you surely realize the intent of that amendment was to balance power. There is no balance in the gubmint having tanks and planes and nukes, and the citizens having sporting equipment.

And the very carefully chosen words forbid congress from abridging that right. It is what it is.

Little known fact. Switzerland remained free while the nazis overran Europe because their citizens are armed. The Swiss pointed out to the german high command that their officer corps would be decimated if they were to invade. To this day you will see the Swiss in public with their military gear.
I think you are confusing infringed with abridged. Anyway, I think the purpose is clear, "a well regulated militia," that says nothing about balance of power to me, but more about the security and defense of a free State, but hey reasonable minds can differ.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
but hey reasonable minds can differ.
Is this a great country or what??!!!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #46
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,905 Times in 4,514 Posts

Quote:

which brings us to a dilemma. there are only two possible ways to achieve this "balance" that was the original intent.

1) we either make nukes, planes, tanks available to all private citezens. OR

2) we disband the military or strip them down to where they have nothing but sporting equipment. (which is basically all the revolutionaries had- kniives, swords, horses, rifles, pistols, muskets).

in other words the original intent is vastly outdated and to try to live by it literally, is suicide.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #47
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Gunshow coming to town...I better git me another coupla thousand rds for my AK's/SKS's. Just to be safe.

I just like to blow up ammo.

Is there a law against that?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #48
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Probably a law prohibiting where you can blow ammo up at, yes.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #49
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
in other words the original intent is vastly outdated and to try to live by it literally, is suicide.
The intent foresaw the dilemma.

Disarming either side isn't practical. And citizens can't afford the gear the gubmint has, although that would be a better use of "stimulus money" than some of the @#$% the gubmint wastes money on.

IMHO, and in keeping with the "spirit" of the amendment, the Swiss solution gives us practical guidance. Everybody should have the opportunity to be trained (we do) and be armed (we don't) the same "small arms" the armed forces use.

I live outside of a southern NFL city known for its gangs. The gangs are armed to the teeth, so much so that the gubmint not only can't match them, the gubmint "deals" with the situation by ignoring it. Kids take their automatic weapons to school. Kids have stuff like M-60s.

In any scenario, the only purpose police serve is post incident documentation. Anyone that thinks the police will protect you is seriously deluded. Throughout our history that is why folks have been armed. And as the society continues to break down the need to be armed accelerates.

Retros know that it is their responsibility to protect and defend their families.

So where is the line? I couldn't afford an F22 and its support. And I @#$%ed well couldn't fly it. And while I'm comfortable at speed in the snow, I'd be skittish in an Abrams. But I think the Barrett Model 95 is an excellent choice for the urban rooftop, and crude as they are, the Kalashnikov line of sporting equipment is great for that "close in" work. And they're cheap and reliable.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #50
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Gunshow coming to town...I better git me another coupla thousand rds for my AK's/SKS's. Just to be safe.
7.62, if you can find it is real dam expensive.

Abraham Lincoln