Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Not disagreeing. I think the Big 10 is now OSU/PSU and everyone else (Michigan is out of the running for the meantime).
Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Not disagreeing. I think the Big 10 is now OSU/PSU and everyone else (Michigan is out of the running for the meantime).
Right now I might be able to only point to one game that can determine the Big 10 Championship is Penn State vs. Ohio State. Each team's program is only going to get better. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams end up representing the Big 10 again in the BCS.

In the past I have been able to point out 3 games that could determine it. All 3 of them have involved Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin though, doesn't appear to their same old selves.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Iowa is a "comer" though.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09102/962301-143.stm

PSU Football: Retooling defense is a priority
Sunday, April 12, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley has been one of the busiest men on the practice field since spring drills began last month.

He must replace seven starters from a team that finished 11-2, earned a share of the Big Ten Conference title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Bradley's secondary not only has been gutted by graduation, he also is operating without his top three defensive ends, including All-American Aaron Maybin, who decided to skip his final two years of eligibility to enter the NFL draft later this month.

"The secondary obviously is our biggest concern since we lost all four starters," Bradley said. "We've lost a lot of depth on the defensive line, too. We thought we were going to be OK there, but with two guys -- Maybin and [Maurice] Evans -- leaving early for the NFL draft, we've had to readjust our thinking a little bit."

The Nittany Lions' four departed starters in the secondary -- first-team All-Big Ten safety Anthony Scirrotto and second-team cornerback Lydell Sargeant, safety Mark Rubin and cornerback Tony Davis -- combined for 117 career starts and 24 interceptions.

The players vying to replace them have nine career starts and four interceptions between them.

Senior left cornerback A.J. Wallace is the most experienced returnee. He has played in 39 games in his career, with six starts. He has 66 career tackles and an interception.

Fifth-year senior right cornerback Knowledge Timmons has played safety and cornerback and served as the gunner on the punt coverage team. He has 31 career tackles and one interception.

Redshirt sophomore free safety Drew Astorino played in all 13 games last year, making three starts. He had 39 tackles and two interceptions.

Redshirt sophomore strong safety Andrew Dailey is playing his third position since last season. Nick Sukay, an often-injured redshirt sophomore from Greensburg Central Catholic High School, is pressing Dailey for playing time.

"There will be some growing pains in the secondary with all of the new people back there," Bradley said.

Besides Maybin (12 sacks last year) and Evans (12 1/2 sacks in 2007), the Lions also lost defensive end Josh Gaines, a three-year starter. Sophomore Jack Crawford is expected to take over for Maybin at left end and either redshirt sophomores Kevion Latham or Eric Latimore for Gaines at right end.

Penn State remains solid on the inside, with senior first-team All-Big Ten pick Jared Odrick returning at right tackle and redshirt junior Ollie Ogbu at left tackle. The top backup, redshirt junior Abe Koroma, also is back.

The good news for Bradley is that fifth-year linebacker Sean Lee from Upper St. Clair is returning after missing last year with a torn ACL in his right knee. He is not participating in contact drills this spring, but likely will replace another starter, fifth-year senior middle linebacker Josh Hull, in the fall.

Redshirt junior outside linebacker Navorro Bowman, a first-team All-Big Ten pick, will join Lee. Sophomore Michael Mauti is the top candidate to replace Butler's Tyrell Sales at the other outside linebacker spot.

Like Lee, fifth-year senior linebacker/end Jerome Hayes also has been limited in spring practice. He has missed a good portion of the past two seasons with ACL injuries, but he is expected to be at full strength in preseason camp.

"I feel like we have some of the best athletes on the team at linebacker," Lee said. "I feel like they'd be able to play on a lot of other teams."

Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #25
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017

Lee makes Lott Trophy watch list

UNIVERSITY PARK - Penn State senior linebacker Sean Lee is has been selected to the 2009 Lott Trophy Watch List. The All-Big Ten selection is among a group of six Big Ten players to receive the nomination.

Named in honor of College and Pro Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, The Lott Trophy is awarded to college football's Defensive Impact Player of the Year. Sponsored by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation, the award is given to a player who exhibits the same characteristics Lott embodied during his distinguished career: integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity.

The Lott Trophy is the only college football award to honor athletic performance and personal character.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

When Joe Speaks
By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

A capsule look at Joe Paterno's Big Ten coaches teleconference Tuesday.

First things second: Paterno is very concerned about the Nittany Lions' secondary, which has to replace all four starters. "We've got a long, long way to go to be a good secondary," JoePa said. "We're not even close." Projected starting cornerback A.J. Wallace has been slowed this spring after recently pulling a hamstring. Paterno did acknowledge safety Drew Astorino has had a good spring.

Soft served: Paterno was asked about this year's weak non-conference schedule, which includes Akron, Syracuse, Temple and Eastern Illinois. "I haven't got the slightest idea how good or bad some of the people we're going to play [are] yet," he said. "I don't have time to worry about anybody but our squad." Paterno confirmed there were talks to play TCU at home this season but noted the Horned Frogs "backed out."

Watch out for Walt: Paterno did mention he knows Walt Harris is on Akron's staff, as the quarterbacks coach. Paterno made a point to say Harris was Pitt's head coach the last time the Lions played the Panthers in 2000, and that Pitt won the game.

No asterisks: Florida State coach Bobby Bowden may have to forfeit 14 victories because of an alleged academic scandal, and that would increase JoePa's margin over Bowden to 15 in the all-time Division I wins race. "I'd hate to see them take them away from him," Paterno said. He later added, "I think Bobby should have the 14 wins. ... You don't want to start sticking asterisks next to guys' names."

Powell OK: Paterno denied a fightonstate.com report that receiver Chaz Powell had suffered an ankle injury Monday in practice. "He didn't get hurt," the coach said. "No. Practiced all day [Monday]. ... He's fine."

Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #27
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

PSU will play Iowa at 8 p.m.

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Penn State's football schedule is beginning to take shape.

The school announced Wednesday that two games have been set for late-afternoon or night starts, including the Nittany Lions' Sept. 26 game against Iowa at Beaver Stadium, which will kick off at 8 p.m. and will be televised by ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

The Big Ten also announced that Penn State's Oct. 24 contest at Northwestern will kick at 3:30 p.m. CT/4:30 p.m. ET and air on ESPN or ESPN2.

The two Penn State contests are among 14 Big Ten football games that will air in prime time this fall on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC or the Big Ten Network.

Penn State and Iowa are the only conference schools with more than one prime time game on ESPN or ABC this season.

No additional Big Ten home games will be moved to primetime (or after 4:30 Eastern time) for the 2009 season.

School spokesman Jeff Nelson said the remaining games on the Lions' Big Ten schedule would likely be at noon or 3:30 p.m. He said ESPN could still propose an 8 p.m. window for a conference game, but both schools would have to agree, and it would be unlikely PSU would play a second late home game.

Penn State will be playing at least one regular season night game for the 10th consecutive season. Last year, the Nittany Lions defeated Illinois and Michigan at home and Wisconsin and Ohio State on the road in prime time.

A Penn State game owns the top four spots and eight of the 12 all-time among the highest rated Big Ten football games on ESPN.

The Nittany Lions conclude spring drills on Saturday, April 25 with the annual Blue-White Game. Kickoff is 2 p.m., and admission is free.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #28
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Personally I think the Ohio State game needs to be a night game. No Reason for it to be 3:30. It should be an 8:00 ESPN/ABC Game.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #29
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Here’s to your health: Lions need an injury-free season from Clark
Commentary
By Cory Giger,cgiger@altoonamirror.com

There will not be a player more important to his team in college football this fall than Daryll Clark will be to Penn State.

With Clark under center, the Nittany Lions have a chance to go 11-1 or 12-0 and play in a BCS bowl. The schedule is so weak that even an above-average PSU team could win the Big Ten and return to the Rose Bowl.

But if Clark gets hurt, the Lions could go 7-5 and end up in a toilet bowl.

The senior signal caller knows he must do everything he can to stay healthy for the good of the team.

"We've been talking about it a lot," Clark, in the middle of spring drills, told the Mirror on Tuesday.

"Obviously, running is a big part of my game, and I'm going to have to try to not take any unnecessary hits that can give me a concussion or sprain an ankle or some of those unfortunate things that can happen. That's an adjustment that I will make and realize that I can't get hurt."

The Lions could have a lot of holes this year after losing key receivers, offensive linemen and defensive backs. Still, the team should be good enough to win at least 10 games and possibly more because of the embarrassingly bad non-conference schedule and favorable Big Ten slate.

Losing Clark would be disastrous since the dropoff from the all-Big Ten quarterback to the second stringer is massive.

If the season started today, Clark's backup would be a walk-on, redshirt freshman Matt McGloin. However, true freshman Kevin Newsome figures to win the backup job this fall.

Pat Devlin won't be around to fill in like he did at Ohio State last year. He got tired of sitting the bench and transferred to Delaware.

So it's either Clark, a walk-on or a true freshman.

Keep that in mind every time you see Clark take a big hit this fall. Then gasp and hold your breath until he gets up.

It's not exactly soothing, either, knowing Clark will be playing behind a revamped, largely inexperienced offensive line.

Clark said McGloin has made good strides this spring and noted Newsome, who enrolled early so he could participate in spring drills, is showing promise.

"There's not a situation that they can't handle, and our coaches have done a good job of putting them in tight situations like two-minute drills at practice," Clark said. "But you know, practice is one thing, the game is another, and obviously experience comes with both."

Clark backed up Anthony Morelli for two years - or one year too long, as the benefit of hindsight shows - before enjoying an impressive 2008 season. He led the Lions to an 11-2 record while throwing for 2,592 yards, 19 TDs and six interceptions and completing 59.8 percent of his passes.

"I needed last year to become more comfortable being a leader," Clark said. "I think this is my job now. This is my job to lead this football team, and that's what I'm going to do."

Joe Paterno won't come right out and say it, but he knows the fate of his team depends on Clark staying healthy.

"He's a very, very fine quarterback," Paterno said on a teleconference Tuesday. "[He] can throw the ball really well, he's doing everything you want in a quarterback, he's great in the huddle, he's [great] in meetings. .... He's a real big league quarterback right now."

Clark's biggest breakthrough this spring has been in the leadership category. He shared that role with veterans like receiver Derrick Williams and center A.Q. Shipley last season, but the offense now belongs to him.

"Coach Joe made it evident that they needed me to step up and be the biggest leader on this football team because of what we lost last year," Clark said.

"I've taken on this role, full head of steam, and I've been doing really well with it. Some guys that may have a somewhat bad practice or whatever, I'm not the guy to yell at them or anything. That's not my place. I am a person that will call a player off to the side and encourage him to get better."

Leadership?

Check.

Personality and charisma?

Check

Passing and running skills?

Check.

Clark has everything he needs to lead Penn State to another big season. The biggest thing the Lions need from him is simply to stay on the field.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Also the Northwestern game is at 4:30 to add on to the Iowa time notice.