Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Eagles CB Sheldon Brown demands trade, feels disrespected

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4084596

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Sheldon Brown has asked to be traded.

Brown has four years remaining on his contract, and the Eagles have indicated that they will not renegotiate his deal.

After dealing with a similar situation with Lito Sheppard, it is considered unlikely that the Eagles will deal Brown at this time.

"I feel like it has been a total lack of respect," Brown told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Monday.

Brown told Paolantonio he has been trying to get a new deal for more than a year, but the Eagles have said no.

Brown said his agent has now asked the Eagles for permission to seek a trade.

The Eagles released a statement expressing disappointment in Brown's decision to go public, explaining that Brown accepted an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. That extension removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about.

Brown has four years remaining on the contract, and the Eagles feel he is being paid fairly.

"Focusing only on a player's salary for a given year is not a valid analysis," the Eagles said in a statement.

Andy Reid talks with Scott Hanson about the Eagles' new additions and expectations for the coming season.

"There have been league MVP's, Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, and perennial Pro Bowlers who have been in a similar situation. All of their teams have required them to wait until their contract expired or there was only one year remaining before any adjustment took place. It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last ten years that any players two new years into a contract with three years left have been adjusted. We don't think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

"Sheldon's comments under the circumstances actually serve to devalue him in a trade if we were willing to consider it; which we are not."
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Default Re: Eagles CB Sheldon Brown demands trade, feels disrespected

http://www.gcobb.com/index.php?optio...=3305&Itemid=1

Talking Himself Out Of Town

Written by Garry Cobb
Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Sheldon Brown gave Bob Brookover of Philly.com a head ups this morning. "Without a doubt there are going to be more problems," Brown said. "I'm not the first guy and I'm not going to be the last guy.

He didn't stop there when talking about his problems with the Eagles front office and his contract, he named names.

"What's the incentive for guys like Trent Cole and Mike Patterson to play above their heads? Everybody's situation is different and everybody handles their business in a different way. This situation could have been handled in a different way. I was forced to put it out there."

I could understand him saying that but I was shocked when he's bringing other players into his fight. Guys complain all the time behind the scenes but that doesn't mean they're serious about holding out.

I've heard guys complain on every job that I've ever worked on, but they weren't serious. I think Sheldon might get some calls from those guys and tell him to keep them out of it.

Brown is trying to get out of town because he started making it personal with Eagles President Joe Banner. He attacked him about an interview he did recently on the radio.

"Joe did an interview with 610 (WIP) and he said my contract has not been presented as an issue," Brown said. "I take that personal. My agent (Jason Chayut) has been talking to him for four months. (Banner) was throwing him off to some guy I don't even know."

Brown then attacked the callers to WIP who have been complaining about his contract demands.

"Everybody is saying this is only about the money and that I don't know what's going on in the world," Brown said. "Don't you think I have family members who live in the real world? Don't you think I have family that has struggled in this recession? I'm not worried about how people feel about me. When I'm done playing football, I'm going back to South Carolina and I won't have to listen to 610 (WIP) or Joe Banner. Everybody has the right to their opinion, but if you think it's about the money, you're crazy."

Brown had been a popular player here in Philly. I guess that's over. Notice how he makes sure to ues Joe Banner's name, he's trying to talk himself out of town.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

He has 4 years left on his deal. Shut up and play the contract.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
DoubleSh0t
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13180

Does not surprise me. I don't agree with how Brown is handling this, but the Eagles FO has proved over the last 2-3 seasons that they are incompetent.

This past off-season was the last straw for a lot of player, and a lot of fans like myself.
DoubleSh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
TheWarDen86
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,006 Times in 1,284 Posts

He's an apparent idiot and the Eagles responded accordingly.
TheWarDen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Another thing - that team hasn't stopped complaining since TO departed(i.e. one minute Michael Lewis gets booted out of town, the next McNabb is whining, the next Westbrook wants more ca$h DESPITE not showing signs he can stay healthy, the next Lito Sheppard gets shown the door, now Brown is likely the next "Come on Down...You're the Next Contestant!", etc).

The post-TO era hit SF hard as well(although they're just starting to pick up the pieces after this LONG while under Mike Singletary). We'll see how Dallas recovers from here on out.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Is it me....Or does it seem like he's sayin he won't play as hard with his current contract (which is 4 years) DOHHH!! smooth move exlax...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I wonder if he learned his antics from the "great" TO

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

It is about the money.

Dude probably makes more in one year than an average joe makes in a decade, perhaps even his lifetime. Brown probably wanted to buy another car, or some nice new house, and didn't feel like spending too much. So he's going to act up.

Brown is an idiot.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Y'know, for the right price....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote