Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Way to keep us calm, Joe...

I love me some swine

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

And The Band Played On

speaking of Quale and the administration he worked with and a do nuthin surgeon general...

i wonder how many lives woulda been saved if someone like VP george h. bush woulda advised gays to strap on a jimmy hat or IV drug users to not share needles.

Quote:
And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic is a work of nonfiction written by San Francisco Chronicle journalist Randy Shilts published in 1987. It chronicles the discovery and spread of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) with a special emphasis on government indifference and political infighting — specifically in the United States — to what was initially perceived as a gay disease. The book is an extensive work of investigative journalism, written in the form of an extended time line; the events that shaped the epidemic are presented as sequential matter-of-fact summaries. Shilts describes the impact and the politics involved in battling the disease on particular individuals in the gay, medical, and political communities. It begins in the late 1970s with the then-first confirmed case of AIDS, that of Grethe Rask, a Danish doctor working in Africa. It ends with the announcement by actor Rock Hudson in 1985 that he was dying of AIDS, when international attention on the disease exploded.

The title of the book is a reference to the story about the dance band in the first-class lounge of the RMS Titanic, which kept playing as the ship sank, thereby alluding to the multiple agencies and communities who neglected to prioritize a swift medical response to the crisis. After publication of the book, Shilts explained his use of the title: "And the Band Played On is simply a snappier way of saying 'business as usual'. Everyone responded with an ordinary pace to an extraordinary situation."
Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), responsible for tracking down and reporting all communicable diseases in the U.S., faced governmental apathy in the face of mounting crisis. Shilts reported how CDC epidemiologists forged ahead blindly after being denied funding for researching the disease repeatedly. Shilts expressed particular frustration describing instances of the CDC fighting with itself over how much time and attention was being paid to AIDS issues.[27]

Although Reagan Administration officials like Health and Human Services Secretary Margaret Heckler and Assistant Secretary Edward Brandt spoke publicly about the epidemic, calling it in 1983 its "Number One Health Priority" no extra funding was given to the Centers for Disease Control or the National Institutes of Health for research.[28] What the U.S. Congress pushed through was highly politicized and embattled, and a fraction of what was spent on similar public health problems.[29]

Shilts made comparisons to the government's disparate reaction to the 1982 Chicago Tylenol murders, and the recent emergence of Legionnaire's Disease in 1977. In October 1982, seven people died after ingesting cyanide-laden Tylenol capsules. The New York Times wrote a front-page story about the Tylenol scare every day in October, and produced 33 more stories about the issue after that. More than 100 law enforcement agents, and 1,100 Food and Drug Administration employees worked on the case. Johnson & Johnson disclosed they spent $100 million attempting to uncover who tampered with the bottles. In October 1982, 634 people were reported having AIDS, and of those, 260 had died. The New York Times wrote three stories in 1981 and three more stories in 1982 about AIDS, none on the front page.[30] The Tylenol Crisis was a criminal act of product-tampering; Legionnaire's Disease was a public health emergency. Twenty-nine members of the American Legion died in 1976 at a convention in Philadelphia. The National Institute of Health spent $34,841 per death of Legionnaire's Disease. In contrast, the NIH spent $3,225 in 1981 and about $8,991 in 1982 for each person who died of AIDS.[31]

Shilts accused Ronald Reagan of neglecting to address AIDS to the American people until 1987 — calling his behavior "ritualistic silence" — even after Reagan called friend Rock Hudson to tell him to get well.[32] After Hudson's death and in the face of increasing public anxiety, Reagan directed Surgeon General C. Everett Koop to provide a report on the epidemic. A political conservative, Koop's report was nevertheless clear about what causes AIDS and what people and the U.S. government should do to stop it, including sex and AIDS education provided for all people.[33]

On a civic level, the closure of gay bathhouses in San Francisco became a bitter political fight in the gay community. Activists put pressure on the San Francisco Public Health director to educate people about how AIDS is transmitted, and demanded he close bathhouses as a matter of public health.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I love me some swine

That's wrong, but quite hilarious!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The spread of HIV and AIDS probably could have been prevented had those folks porking each other in unsafe ways had read Genesis 19:24-25.

Oh wait, I'm not supposed to point that out in this Politically Correct world. My bad.

Carry on.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

they once said a black man would be president when pigs fly.

his 1st 100 days and *BAM* swine flu.

its obamas fault!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

its obamas fault!
Ha ha! This is a post to keep forever!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:

its obamas fault!
ROFLMAO I'm in tears...that was freaking awesome bro!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:

its obamas fault!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Wow...Bu...bu...bu....Reagan?

Panic?

I'm merely pointing out what a dope the VP is. The WH had to issue a spin report just a couple hours after his gaffe. Then again, has anyone actually paid any attention to what crazy old Joe has said since September?

I dig the attempts to apologize for him, though...