Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Yet another bho campaign lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Please, if you're going to tell people to "think for themselves," it would probably do wonders for your credibility if you didn't cite Obama's presidential campaign site. "Socialized medicine is good for me 'cause Obama tells me so. BAAAA!"

Again, thanks, but I KNOW what I'm opposing - from the Wall Street Journal:

Public health insurance, AKA socialized medicine, WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.
I provided the link to Obama's presidential campaign because I believe that it is only fair to hear everythin that HE has to say about it before you let OTHERS tell you how to judge it
Old 05-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Busted campaign promises..... Why dont you give the man a chance??? Hes only been in office a few months and your gonna say busted campaign promises??? WOW.
Thus far, his "chances" aren't looking good buddy. I'm not going to rehash all of his fubars in only his first 100 or so days, but the proof is in the puddin'. Obaaaaaama is in WAY over his head and has proven himself to be the biggest farce of a President since The Peanut Man.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Thus far, his "chances" aren't looking good buddy. I'm not going to rehash all of his fubars in only his first 100 or so days, but the proof is in the puddin'. Obaaaaaama is in WAY over his head and has proven himself to be the biggest farce of a President since The Peanut Man.

Well you are obviously the minority that disaprove of the job that Obama has been doing (68% approve)..
Wake up and stop watching FOX News..

http://www.gallup.com/Home.aspx
Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I provided the link to Obama's presidential campaign because I believe that it is only fair to hear everythin that HE has to say about it before you let OTHERS tell you how to judge it
I don't "let" others tell me anything. I don't think even more government involvement in healthcare (in this case, basically a huge expansion of Medicare which is already fraught with problems) is a good thing, and I've always felt that way. Why, for instance, do you think so many Canadians come south of the border for healthcare? I mean, considering that their "free" healthcare system is so far and away superior to our greedy, profit-driven system?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Why, for instance, do you think so many Canadians come south of the border for healthcare? I mean, considering that their "free" healthcare system is so far and away superior to our greedy, profit-driven system?
I believe that we can and will develop a National Health Care that is far superrior to Canada's or another Nations' helth care......
I just dont know why we havent completed this task already. why are there American Citizens withouth healthcare?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
why are there American Citizens withouth healthcare?
There are a number of reasons, but I think existing government regulations at the state level are the biggest culprit.

Quote:
Problem: Excessive State Mandates Increase Costs. Differing regulations and mandates among the states cause wide variations in individual health insurance rates. The federal McCarran-Ferguson Act, which lets states set their own requirements for coverage, has protected state markets from competition, and led to an assortment of mandates — many of which the insured do not want or need. For example:

About one-fourth of states require health insurance to cover acupuncture and marriage counseling.

More than half of states require coverage for social workers and 60 percent mandate coverage for contraceptives.

Seven states require coverage for hairpieces and nine for hearing aids.
In all, there are more than 1,900 state mandates across the United States. Some legislators contribute to this excess by giving in to special interest demands that insurers cover their specific services and providers. The result is higher premiums for consumers — pricing an estimated one-fourth of the uninsured out of the market.

Problem: No National Market for Insurance. Although most insurers operate in multiple states, their plans must be tailored to each state's specific requirements. As a result, there is no competitive national market for individual health insurance. Instead, there are fragmented markets and large price differences:

A family purchasing a health insurance policy in Wisconsin would pay about $3,087, but that policy would cost $10,398 in New Jersey.

A similar policy in Utah would cost $3,259, compared to $12,254 in New York.

A family policy in Michigan would cost $4,118, but an astronomical $16,897 in Massachusetts.

Wrong Solution: More Regulation. Recent proposals advocating universal care — including those of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and legislators in California, Illinois and Pennsylvania — include two regulations that have consistently been shown to raise health care costs: guaranteed issue and community rating.

Guaranteed issue means that insurance companies offering policies must sell coverage to all who apply, regardless of medical condition. While this sounds like it protects consumers, it actually harms them. For example, in Massachusetts and New Jersey it has driven up premiums. When insurance companies are forced to accept all applicants, they raise premiums to guard against losses. As a result, health insurance becomes a poor value for everyone except those with serious health conditions. Business dwindles as demand decreases, insurers leave the market and rates increase even more from a lack of competition. This pattern has occurred in every state that requires guaranteed issue.

Community rating means that insurers cannot adjust premiums to reflect the individual health risks of consumers. When everyone pays similar premiums, healthy people are charged more than they otherwise would be and sick people are charged less. Therefore, premiums rise for the majority who are healthy. Because of the higher cost, younger (or lower-income) individuals with few health problems tend to drop insurance, leaving an increasingly unhealthy risk pool. This drives premiums even higher — and fewer and fewer people can afford coverage.

Right Solution: Interstate Competition. Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) has proposed interstate competition at the federal level with the Health Care Choice Act (H.R. 4460). The bill would allow consumers to shop for individual insurance on the Internet, over the telephone or through a local agent. Residents of any state would be free to choose among policies from insurers in any state. The policies would be regulated by the insurer's home state. If consumers do not want expensive health plans that pay for benefits they do not need — such as acupuncture, fertility treatments or hairpieces — they could buy from insurers in states that do not mandate such benefits. With interstate competition, consumers would be more likely to find a policy that fits their budget, giving more people access to affordable insurance. This is consistent with a recent University of Minnesota study that found approximately 12 million additional people would be covered if health coverage could be purchased in a competitive national marketplace. Highly regulated states would benefit most.

Other Needed Reforms. Insurers should be allowed to experiment with innovative products like limited benefit plans, often known as “mini med” plans, which generally provide coverage for a limited number of physician visits each year, a limited amount of inpatient care and sometimes coverage for prescription drugs. Other reforms, such as mandate-free policies that take advantage of cross-border providers, would also provide consumers with a greater range of options.

Conclusion. Protection from interstate competition allows lobbyists to impose expensive mandates. Allowing residents to purchase coverage across state lines would create more competitive insurance markets. In addition, letting insurers experiment with different designs to create innovative and cost-effective health plans will decrease the number of people who cannot afford care.
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba630

IMO, we need MORE competition, not less, to drive costs down. A nationalized healthcare plan, IMO, would reduce competition, increase costs for everyone in the long run and even worse, quality of care would ultimately suffer.

Last edited by fansince'76; 05-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Quote:
Well you are obviously the minority that disaprove of the job that Obama has been doing (68% approve)..

Barack has been so inept these 1st 100 days. His administration so far has been filled with corruption and lies. Besides what do you watch, the lying hate mongers from NBC and have you been listening to all those left wing cooks?
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Busted campaign promises..... Why dont you give the man a chance??? Hes only been in office a few months and your gonna say busted campaign promises??? WOW.
Yup. How bout the Wiretapping program he so vehemently argued against? How's that going? Oh yeah, he busted his campaign promise and wants to keep it.

I didn't say all of his campaign promises are busted...but the greatest deal of Change I've seen is the increase in the amount of money spent in his first 100 days...and his current stance on may of Bush's Evil Misguided and Broken policies.

And while I HOPE that he'll fix our economic issues and turn this country around, it feels a lot like the same kind of HOPE I have that Cleveland will win a Superbowl.

Oh look, Cleveland is rebuilding again...and our economic situation is getting worse. Fantabulous!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
I believe that we can and will develop a National Health Care that is far superrior to Canada's or another Nations' helth care......
I just dont know why we havent completed this task already. why are there American Citizens withouth healthcare?
And I believe that the Browns can win a Superbowl. I just don't know why we haven't completed this task already. Where are so many Browns teams without a Superbowl ring?

See how belief works. If I believe hard enough, maybe someone in the Browns organization will get us a ring. That'd be grand. Then we'd have 6 more to go to top the Steelers (at last count.)

Believe. Hope. Change.

Those are catch phrases to ensnare those who won't think for themselves. Catch phrases and nothing more.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #20
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:

Should I watch CNN instead... since they are Liberal biased?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote