Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Re: anyone use garmin/tom-tom navigation systems?

im pretty anal about my driving. i can easilly figure out that a 450 mile trip to phoenix should only take me 5 hours if i drive 90 MPH (which is only 15 mph above the speed limit all the way through).

i can easilly figure out that if i find myself stuck at 80 mph behind a bunch of slow semi's for 10 minutes, i gotta drive at 100 mph for 10 minutes to compensate and make my time.

i find myself doing WAY too much math in my head when i travel, and i HATE math (seriously... im doing wonderlic type of shit with no pen and paper).

these navigation systems eliminate all of that! that alone makes it worth the $200 for me.

if youre a sirius user, having the dual jacks is a must (although i may be one of a dying breed cause i need 3- i actually like lighting a smoke using the "cig lighter")
Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

God I wish I had GPS here in this city. You can get lost after only going a few blocks... Everything looks the same...... sadly I can't read Chinese, I need an English version (which I have not been able to find here)

I had tom-tom when I was back in the states as I had to do alot of traveling...extremely handy, warning though... It will spoil you.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #13
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

If you live in a big city the traffic is a godsend too. It calculates your drive time given traffic and reroutes you accordingly if needed, way cool.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
They have a new program, I forget what it's called, saw it on the news in SD that you can download and it warns you when you are coming up on red light camera's, known speed trap, sudden speed limit changes, etc. The cops are all pissed about it. Why they would be pissed about people following the rules of the road, I have no clue, cops for ya.
Well that's pretty obvious - cities/towns/boroughs make a lot of money off tickets for moving violations, and that cuts into their income. Fewer people being caught speeding or running red lights means fewer cops needed to patrol the areas, and that could lead to job cuts. It wouldn't shock me if there were some areas where they factor the money from speeding tickets into the budget.

Anyway, the rental car we used when I took a trip to Dover last year had a Magellan GPS in it, and it was a godsend. When I finally get my own car, I will have one for sure.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well that's pretty obvious - cities/towns/boroughs make a lot of money off tickets for moving violations, and that cuts into their income. Fewer people being caught speeding or running red lights means fewer cops needed to patrol the areas, and that could lead to job cuts. It wouldn't shock me if there were some areas where they factor the money from speeding tickets into the budget.

Anyway, the rental car we used when I took a trip to Dover last year had a Magellan GPS in it, and it was a godsend. When I finally get my own car, I will have one for sure.
Right, I'm sure that's why too, but when their #1 priority is to "serve and protect" you would think they would be happy about people driving safer.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i have a garmin.. and i love it.. it just handy to have.. and saves all the time looking at a map

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Right, I'm sure that's why too, but when their #1 priority is to "serve and protect" you would think they would be happy about people driving safer.
It costs money to set up those cameras and speed traps. It's ruining some of their work...and taking money away that they are likely counting on to keep officers on the job.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I still like maps and guess work. Plus I'm not above stopping and asking directions.

My wife has a GPS device on her new blackberry, she likes to watch it while we drive around and watch us travel live on the map.

I've actually caught her walking around the house watching the Dot move on her Blackberry as she goes from the bedroom to the Kitchen.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I still like maps and guess work. Plus I'm not above stopping and asking directions.

My wife has a GPS device on her new blackberry, she likes to watch it while we drive around and watch us travel live on the map.

I've actually caught her walking around the house watching the Dot move on her Blackberry as she goes from the bedroom to the Kitchen.
Does the Dot split if she uses the restroom?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
It costs money to set up those cameras and speed traps. It's ruining some of their work...and taking money away that they are likely counting on to keep officers on the job.
Most red light cameras make retarded amounts of money for the city, check it out. In CA $400 for running a red light and when the light changes you'd think Britney Spears stepped out with all the flash bulbs going off. If anything they bring money in.