Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #31
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Corporal Punishment (in school?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
The only problem I have with it, is this.

I have an 11 year old daughter, and the idea of some Man paddling my daughters butt, well, that's gonna fly over well with me at all. Let me take care of it, I don't want any other guy touching my daughter, teacher, cop, or whatever.

So as for that, I'd kick the living shiiit out of any man that "paddled" my daughter.

If I wanted anyone besides myself to physically discipline my daughters, I'd send them to Catholic School and let the Nuns have their way with them.

So that's my stance. Hit somone else's kids all you want, touch mine, and I'll bury your body deep and you'll never be found.
Well, at least with the female students (at that school) it does mention that a female administrator was doing the paddling.

Also, the parents must sign a permission form granting him permission to use the paddle.

There's also a three strikes and your...paddled rule in effect as well. It all adds up to a very nice policy. I like that he's more willing to buy Pizza party for the kids that do well than he is to discipline them. It's important to draw a hard line...but still be able to give out praise.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #32
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Personally, I would NOT give approval. However, the principal would know quickly that a phone call to me would take care of the situation.
Exactly!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Spank em with a 10 foot board with nails in it while they are strapped down. lol.

Put the fear of god in em!
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF4i View Post
Spank em with a 10 foot board with nails in it while they are strapped down. lol.

Put the fear of god in em!
I'm not so sure about the fear of God but it definitely should only take one spanking with that type of board to set them straight.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I'm not so sure about the fear of God but it definitely should only take one spanking with that type of board to set them straight.
Thats funny I had my a$$ busted so many times throughout school i can't count . You can not expect the same results on each individual . It all starts in the home and the upbringing of the child . I was always a rebel , so it did not work for me . I was never afraid of being embarassed in front of my classmates . I will admit that it did more good than harm , and no way was i anything like some of the youth today . I had my a$$ busted so much at home already it did not really have that much of an effect . I was beat for unbeatable circumstances , in todays society , it would be a crime, and my mother was very abusive to me . These are some strong words , but if i would have had better upbringing , none of that would have occurred . I would have carried the right attitude with me to school each day .
I do have two daughters aged 18 and 16 , not one time did i have to lay a hand on one of them . I preferred love , and talking to them , and of course the TONE of voice thing . I started it when they were young , and before they could even crawl , and they never had any trouble in school .
Love is the key , along with understanding , and compassion . If i felt guilty when they would cry because of the tone of voice , i could only imagine how i would have felt if i would have spanked them .
Guess my parents did teach me something after all , Don't abuse children .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
You can not expect the same results on each individual . It all starts in the home and the upbringing of the child .
Amen to that.

Quote:
I do have two daughters aged 18 and 16 , not one time did i have to lay a hand on one of them . I preferred love , and talking to them , and of course the TONE of voice thing . I started it when they were young , and before they could even crawl , and they never had any trouble in school .
You got lucky then. My two oldest haven't had more than "The Tone" or "The Look" in over 6 years...but my youngest daughter is extremely head strong. I think my (currently) youngest son is going to be just as head strong as well...at least all signs/symptoms point that way.

Quote:
Love is the key , along with understanding , and compassion .
Again, Amen to that.

Quote:
So long as you understand that there is a difference between corporal punishment...and abuse. I have never bruised my children when spanking any of them...and two of them are very easy bruisers.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Love is the key , along with understanding , and compassion . If i felt guilty when they would cry because of the tone of voice , i could only imagine how i would have felt if i would have spanked them .
I got spanked maybe once or twice in elementary school and no more than a half a dozen times at home during those same years. And while I understand it doesn't have the same results with all children, I would say you are blessed with your two daughters. My PRINCESS has the attitude, tone, and everything to go with it (must get it from her mother ). I've shown love, patience, understanding and I've drawn the line using time out chairs, nose and toes in the corner, and the whoopin' stick. Doesn't matter every day she finds something else to challenge my authority. Just today she was brushing her teeth and took the toothpaste and put small dabs of it on the sink and toilet seat - she knows it's not meant for that, we've talked about it before and she understands that toothpaste isn't for the sink or toilet seat. But I digress, it seems that every day she chooses to challenge my authority (or her mothers) and occassionally, and I do mean OCCASSIONALLY, she gets it and we have what we lovingly refer to as "No whippin' days". Maybe I should send her to you for a few months and see if you can train her otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
So long as you understand that there is a difference between corporal punishment...and abuse. I have never bruised my children when spanking any of them...and two of them are very easy bruisers.
While I've never bruised her (other than her ego and pride) but I know it's been close. I've had to catch myself a few times where if I would have snatched her up at the onset, I probably would have definitely made it more difficult for her to sit down.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #38
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Amen to that.

You got lucky then. My two oldest haven't had more than "The Tone" or "The Look" in over 6 years...but my youngest daughter is extremely head strong. I think my (currently) youngest son is going to be just as head strong as well...at least all signs/symptoms point that way.

Again, Amen to that.

I have the belief , that basically , a child is born innocent , the parents are the ones that _ _ ck them up , or have the potential to . I do know the difference between the two punishments . I took my 'ABUSE" as a child , and used it with compassion , only a positive tool for my children . I would never want a child to be treated the way that i was .
That was the painfull lesson i altered , and made into a positive tool , like i said . I never bought into the whole "it takes a village to raise a child concept " . If the parents are doing what they should be doing , then the village should be quiet . Maybe it is the village that needs to be examined .
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #39
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I got spanked maybe once or twice in elementary school and no more than a half a dozen times at home during those same years. And while I understand it doesn't have the same results with all children, I would say you are blessed with your two daughters. My PRINCESS has the attitude, tone, and everything to go with it (must get it from her mother ). I've shown love, patience, understanding and I've drawn the line using time out chairs, nose and toes in the corner, and the whoopin' stick. Doesn't matter every day she finds something else to challenge my authority. Just today she was brushing her teeth and took the toothpaste and put small dabs of it on the sink and toilet seat - she knows it's not meant for that, we've talked about it before and she understands that toothpaste isn't for the sink or toilet seat. But I digress, it seems that every day she chooses to challenge my authority (or her mothers) and occassionally, and I do mean OCCASSIONALLY, she gets it and we have what we lovingly refer to as "No whippin' days". Maybe I should send her to you for a few months and see if you can train her otherwise :thum

While I've never bruised her (other than her ego and pride) but I know it's been close. I've had to catch myself a few times where if I would have snatched her up at the onset, I probably would have definitely made it more difficult for her to sit down.
Sounds like to me she is trying hard to play that "favorite" card on you guy's . How old is she anyway ?
My oldest Kaylene used to try that stuff too . If both parents do not stick , and one of you cave , she will develope even more power to control .
I always found that bonding with her was the most effective way to deal with her . I tried to think back to some of the things that i use to like to do when i was her age .
I took her to the creek where i use to play when i was a child , and had fun .
She had the biggest kick out of throwing rocks off the train bridge , and hearing and watching the rocks go ker-plunk into the water .
She loved searching for crayfish also , just like i used to . I think she just liked getting in the water , she wasn't fooling me .
It did create a bond that has never been broken . Sometimes to deal with a child , you have to put yourself on their level .
Kaylene is still a daddies girl .

Last edited by billybob; 05-06-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #40
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
I have the belief , that basically , a child is born innocent , the parents are the ones that _ _ ck them up , or have the potential to . I do know the difference between the two punishments . I took my 'ABUSE" as a child , and used it with compassion , only a positive tool for my children . I would never want a child to be treated the way that i was .
That was the painfull lesson i altered , and made into a positive tool , like i said . I never bought into the whole "it takes a village to raise a child concept " . If the parents are doing what they should be doing , then the village should be quiet . Maybe it is the village that needs to be examined .
Actually all humans are born with sin. The parents just either allow that to continue or attempt to curve the human desire for disobedience and so on.

It's good to see that you were able to overcome your "ABUSE" as a child and not pass it down to your children. I remember back in the early 90's my dad and I were watching an episode of Oprah (yeah he was watching it when I walked in) and they were talking about spanking. My dad looked over at me and said (with a grin), "You were abused as a child!" Basically saying that by the standards used on Oprah's show, I was abused. I don't think I was. My father used corporal punishment as a last resort.

I like the last statement. Although I believe it does take a village to raise a child, it does depend on what village you live in too.

Quote:
Sounds like to me she is trying hard to play that "favorite" card on you guy's . How old is she anyway ?
My oldest Kaylene used to try that stuff too . If both parents do not stick , and one of you cave , she will develope even more power to control .
I always found that bonding with her was the most effective way to deal with her . I tried to think back to some of the things that i use to like to do when i was her age .
I took her to the creek where i use to play when i was a child , and had fun .
She had the biggest kick out of throwing rocks off the train bridge , and hearing and watching the rocks go ker-plunk into the water .
She loved searching for crayfish also , just like i used to . I think she just liked getting in the water , she wasn't fooling me .
It did create a bond that has never been broken . Sometimes to deal with a child , you have to put yourself on their level .
Kaylene is still a daddies girl .
She'll be 4 years old in June. My wife has had to alter her child rearing skills as her other two were not this demanding. Neither of us are quick to cave in, and are very supportive of the answers given to her.

I've used the bonding moments and those precious moments you see the light go off. Unfortunately, she tries to utilize those types of moments for good behavior. Like, "Daddy, can we go to the park today, I promise I'll listen?" While that initially tells me she really has no intention of listening throughout the day, I turn it around and tell her, "If you listen, then we can go to the park!" And while I know that also creates rewards for actions that should be common, I also think that it creates a more positive bond that you spoke of.

I should try to get a video tape of her "acting" up. It's hysterical if you're on the outside looking in but damn it's a struggle when you're on the inside. I think once I get her going to Pittsburgh on our annual Father/Daughter weekend, she'll start turning around - or I'll be leaving her with HTG while I go to the strip district and the game!