Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: "Pastor" Rick Warren prayed to Isa - the "Jesus" of the Quran at Obama's inaugura

I actually didn't see the Video cause I can't see them at work so I was just going by the post and what I read about it.

So Preacher, you think Allah is just the Arabic Translation for the Word God and not the name of a Different God the way Zues or Odin or Buddah would be considered a different entity than Jehovah?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: "Pastor" Rick Warren prayed to Isa - the "Jesus" of the Quran at Obama's inaugura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I actually didn't see the Video cause I can't see them at work so I was just going by the post and what I read about it.

So Preacher, you think Allah is just the Arabic Translation for the Word God and not the name of a Different God the way Zues or Odin or Buddah would be considered a different entity than Jehovah?
The proper answer to every theological question is "yes".... and "no.'

So yes, that is correct.

However, when talking to an individual, you have to be careful, because just like in english, people will confuse the two and think of Allah as ONLY Muslim.

That is the mistake the guy is making in the video as well.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Tony. Sorry, you are out of your depth on this one.

it has NOTHING to do with Obama. There is a vast movement against Rick Warren claiming that he has left the Gospel. I know you have taken upon your self to champion Obama. But this battle is not yours. Go Google Rick Warren critics and see what I am talking about.
oh, ok. im not familiar with warren or his story. the 1st i ever heard of him was when he did the inaguration and havent heard anything of him since.

its natural to jump to conclusions based on some of the things posted here. and just like obamas association with bill ayers was used to link him to terrorism, and his association with jeremiah wright was used to link him with racism, it seeemed like this was being used to link him to islam.

not knowing the backdrop, it just seemed to insinuate obama asked him to throw in the arabic name for Jesus.

so i gather you dont believe warren has left the flock and the creator of the video is really reaching to smear him?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
The proper answer to every theological question is "yes".... and "no.'

So yes, that is correct.

However, when talking to an individual, you have to be careful, because just like in english, people will confuse the two and think of Allah as ONLY Muslim.

That is the mistake the guy is making in the video as well.
Ok. Thanks for your view.

I tend to believe that Allah is Not the same Diety as Jehovah. I believe Allah is something else. Just as Ra was not Jehovah, and Zues was not Jehovah, I believe Allah is Not Jehovah. (Yahweh). I understand it is common belief to associate that Allah is in fact just the arabic translation for God, but I don't believe its the Same God that the Jews pray to and that the Christians believe sent his only Son to earth to forgive us our sins.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
oh, ok. im not familiar with warren or his story. the 1st i ever heard of him was when he did the inaguration and havent heard anything of him since.

its natural to jump to conclusions based on some of the things posted here. and just like obamas association with bill ayers was used to link him to terrorism, and his association with jeremiah wright was used to link him with racism, it seeemed like this was being used to link him to islam.

not knowing the backdrop, it just seemed to insinuate obama asked him to throw in the arabic name for Jesus.

so i gather you dont believe warren has left the flock and the creator of the video is really reaching to smear him?
Tony, I see your point, that this is nothing more than a way for some to associate B.O. with Islam, as was tried before. However, some could see things like this as a way to back up B.O.'s comment that the US is no longer a "Christian nation". I think that statement has really upset some folks and they aren't going to forgive him for it.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

No prob Tony.

And yeah, there are those who are SO ADAMANT about right belief that Jesus couldn't even be their pastor. Don't get me wrong, I think Orthodoxy is DANG important. But to the extant some take it, well, it is a little ridiculous.

Rick Warren threatens cultural fundamentalism because he chooses to break out of traditional church mentality and is not the typical church pastor. Believe it or not, there are a LOT of things I disagree with Rick Warren on. However, whoever put this video together is reaching WAY too far and in the end, is showing his own linguistic ignorance.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Ok. Thanks for your view.

I tend to believe that Allah is Not the same Diety as Jehovah. I believe Allah is something else. Just as Ra was not Jehovah, and Zues was not Jehovah, I believe Allah is Not Jehovah. (Yahweh). I understand it is common belief to associate that Allah is in fact just the arabic translation for God, but I don't believe its the Same God that the Jews pray to and that the Christians believe sent his only Son to earth to forgive us our sins.
Actually, you and I are in complete agreement, though it doesn't look like it. Let me explain.

Ra and Zeus were not names for the single, creator God of heaven and earth. They were names of specific diety's of Egypt and Greece. We would say they thought Zeus was A God. They thought Ra was A God. We would NEVER say that they were the SAME God as YHWH. Matter of fact, YHWH battled the gods of ancient egypt in the plague narrative.

The difference comes with Islam, in the fact that Allah IS AND IS NOT the proper name of their diety. Allah is the general word for ANYONES diety in some cases, and SPECIFICALLY ISLAM'S DIETY in others...

So, For the Christians, an some muslims would say "Christians believe YHWH is Allah."

Greeks believe "Zeus in an Allah"

Egyptians beleived "Ra was an Allah."

However, other Muslims, specifically arabic ones (and I think I confused this earlier, I apologize), use ALLAH as a Proper name and Al-illah (or some rendition of that) as the general name of God.

So when I say that Allah is the same as God, I am saying that the way you translate the general word God in English into say, Turkish, is by saying the word, Allah. But when you translate it into Arabic, you say, Al-ilah, for some people. Others may not recognize that distinction.

However, specifically with Islam, recognize that just like Christianity and Judiasm, they recognize YHWH. What they have done, is redefined His message. That is why the 3 western religions are so distinctive, because they all come from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They all recognize King David and the prophets too.

In essence, IMO, when a Hindhu faces GOD, they will be very suprised that it is not Vishnu. When a Muslim faces God, they won't be surprised at WHO He is, but WILL be surprised at TRUTH about Him.

does that make sense? I don't want to leave you with any idea that I am a universalist in any sense of the word. I just also want to be very fair with both the language AND the history of different beleif systems.