Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens / Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauben View Post
That's precisely what it is.....................again!

With this new arena being built "for" the Pens...........this better never happen again.

Could you imagine if we had a covered Heinz Field and they began booking concerts, etc, in January until waiting to find out if the resident home owners were delayed on their "vacation" plans? Just imagine what would happen! So there's no difference here. None at all!!!! They KNOW that there's a chance every late April, May and early June that the Igloo's Pens might still be in the hunt for the Cup! After all, that IS the reason we've been playing all season........."to win the Championship"! You'd think they would hold out and wait.

This better not happen at the new arena!
They can't do that or they risk losing out to other cities, and thus losing money. The same thing will happen when the new arena is built. They're already talking about the arena being booked for 200+ days per year including hockey, and when they get their arena league team, it will add more dates to the schedule. So get used to more scheduling conflicts in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
WTH is up with Boston fans waving a yellow towel?? If I had a nickel for every pattycake fan that I've heard rag on the Steelers for the terrible towel I could retire.

I'm just glad Carolina took care of business, I don't think I could stomach 2 weeks of bloated, ignorant, jerkoffs from beantown who just became "die hard" hockey fans overnight.
Well, they are the original black and gold, after all. At least, that's what jackass Boston fans are always quick to remind everyone. Anyway, every team gives out rally towels during the playoffs, so it doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
It is starting already down here. I have a Pens bobblehead on my desk at work. People, who probably have no clue that hockey is played on frozen water, are coming up to me saying the "the 'Canes are gonna whoop your teams ass." I am all for talking smack if you know what you are talking about, but don't be an idiot. But, I guess that I am in the Carolina's so I guess I should be ready for it. Damn, it will be fun when we win!
Most fans in the South wouldn't know a hockey puck from a pisser puck. Just ignore them for now, then rub it in when their team is sent packing with their tails between their legs.

Yes, the above means I am officially picking the Pens to win this series. The Canes will give them everything they can handle though - while they are short on talent, they are long on grit and determination, and play as good a team game as anyone. Everyone on the team can skate and they can create havoc for opposing teams with their speed and forechecking. The Bruins found that out the hard way - they just could not keep up with the Canes' speed. Plus, Cam Ward has been lights-out for them basically since late February. But I feel that the Pens are the better team, the more talented team, certainly the deeper team in terms of scoring, and quite possibly the hungrier team. They will get to Ward a bit, and the Canes simply do not have enough secondary scoring to match - Staal, Cole and Whitney pretty much is their offense. If the Pens keep them in check, they should be fine.

There are some neat subplots in this series, though:

- Staal vs. Staal, obviously
- Craig Adams goes up against his former team that he won the Cup with back in 05-06
- Orpik vs. Cole. I'm sure Cole still has a burr up his ass from Orpik breaking his neck with a hit from behind 3 years ago.
- Cooke the Rat vs. Scott Walker. Cooke got him with a cheap shot earlier this season that Walker may want to get revenge for.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
For the first time in this playoffs, the Penguins are finally playing a team I don't hate with a passion. It's going to be a fun series win or lose.

I was just going to say the same thing. Out of all the teams we've played in the last two years I'd say the Canes and Sens would be the only two I don't automatically hate.

Honestly, other than Staal and Cam Ward, I don't really know any of their guys, I just remember they are a tough out for the Pens - maybe because they play so much alike. And yes, Ward is scary.

But we got to keep Fleury in front of his damn net - maybe we could get one of them doggie invisible fences around the blue paint with shock collars to keep him in his place - and give the extra collar to Gill to keep him OUT of the paint.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #23
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

lol....I have one of those for my Rotty....works like a charm on him.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
Fire Haley
Banned

With all of those 2 day breaks between games, if it goes the distance, we could be watching the Pens-Canes until June.

I guess that's a good thing, but right now I hate WAITING.

So no - I can't really get up any hate for the Canes, besides, Ron Francis is on their bench. How can you hate Ron Francis?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

The NHL will never compare to Football for me, but getting a game every 2-3 days almost makes up for it.

Tough to get excited about much of anything else till September as far as sports goes, so this is bonus time for me.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Fire Haley
Banned

After a SB win and the Pens going deep into the playoffs, it's been a fun time for me. I can't complain.

Get to the front of the net boys, that's where all the goals are going to come from now.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
trauben
Bench Warmer

Location: City of reigning Super Bowl and Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Member Number: 7929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
With all of those 2 day breaks between games, if it goes the distance, we could be watching the Pens-Canes until June.

I guess that's a good thing, but right now I hate WAITING.
Man this schedule conflicts with mine. Three of the games are on nights I have functions beginning at 7pm.

One I can reschedule. Two I cannot since they're events at my daughter's school and I can't let her down. That means I record them and pray no one mentions the score while we're in attendance so I can go home and watch them semi-LIVE in thought only. "If" we don't go past game #4 ............ then I'll have at least one reprieve, but with the Canes? I think it's a six gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer
So no - I can't really get up any hate for the Canes, besides, Ron Francis is on their bench. How can you hate Ron Francis?
I have a home Francis jersey.

Hmmm , I have a dilemma.

Do I wear the jersey or not?

What say yinz?

trauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I was just going to say the same thing. Out of all the teams we've played in the last two years I'd say the Canes and Sens would be the only two I don't automatically hate.

Honestly, other than Staal and Cam Ward, I don't really know any of their guys, I just remember they are a tough out for the Pens - maybe because they play so much alike. And yes, Ward is scary.

But we got to keep Fleury in front of his damn net - maybe we could get one of them doggie invisible fences around the blue paint with shock collars to keep him in his place - and give the extra collar to Gill to keep him OUT of the paint.
want someone to hate? Brind'amour = ex-Flyer. That's reason enough for me.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Don't know why that is, unless there's some kind of scheduling conflict with Mellon Arena this week. Otherwise it makes no sense at all. That means that the Hawks and Wings will start Sunday afternoon, which doesn't surprise me - it's a ratings win for the networks and the league. Carolina in the ECF is a ratings fail, unfortunately. Nobody outside of the Carolinas gives a shit about the Canes, so the ratings won't be nearly as good as the Hawks and Wings.

EDIT: You are correct - the Pens do start Monday and Thursday, and the obvious reason is because NBC wants the Hawks/Wings as their Sunday afternoon games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422796

Monday, May 18 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Thursday, May 21 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Saturday, May 23 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, May 26 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Friday, May 29 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Sunday, May 31 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

Hmm that schedule is really out of whack. Play Monday then off 2 days before game 2? Its gonna be a great series.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #30
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauben View Post
I have a home Francis jersey.
I have an old Tom Barrasso shirt around here somewhere - and he's the Cane's goalie coach - he's teaching that damn Cam Ward.