Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Traded away

So, me and a guy I am in class with were talking baseball. He is a Cards fan, and I am a Pirates fan obviously. We got to joking around and I said the Pirates are like the farm system for the majors. That got me thinking, what would be the Pirates all time traded away for prospects team. I cannot remember who was traded and who left during free agency. I know there are a ton of names like:

Bonds
Bonilla
Bay
Kendall
Drabek
Ramirez, that is all I can think of off the top of my head before I go to work.

Now, anyone feel like making an all traded away team?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Traded away

Kendall C
J. Bell SS
Bay CF
Bonds LF
Ramirez 3B
Bonilla 1B
Giles RF
Lind 2B
Schmidt P

Yes, I realize that some of these guys left via FA and weren't traded, but that's still a pretty damn good lineup, and would have McLouth on the bench and Drabek as another starter.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

I have always called the pirates the major's farm system. It is so ridculous that they won't keep some of their best players just because they don't want to pay them. The fans deserve better.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Kendall C
J. Bell SS
Bay CF
Bonds LF
Ramirez 3B
Bonilla 1B
Giles RF
Lind 2B
Schmidt P

Yes, I realize that some of these guys left via FA and weren't traded, but that's still a pretty damn good lineup, and would have McLouth on the bench and Drabek as another starter.

That is a heck of a team. Didn't we have Sean Casey or Dunn or someone like that for about a month then trade them away. I remember all the hoopla because he was a Pittsburgh kid, great ball player, then see ya!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

The bad thing is we have a horrible farm system. We built the early 1990s teams by trading overpriced veterans for prospects in the 1980s. That's how we got Bonilla, Drabek, Bell, Bream, LaValliere, Van Slyke, etc.

Problem is we started trading good players for chump change, like when we traded Aramis Ramirez. Our minor league system isn't producing anyone good. And when we do trade for a legitimate prospect, he sucks for years until we give up on him and then plays well somewhere else. Jason Schmidt was a bust for us and an All-Star for the Giants.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
The bad thing is we have a horrible farm system. We built the early 1990s teams by trading overpriced veterans for prospects in the 1980s. That's how we got Bonilla, Drabek, Bell, Bream, LaValliere, Van Slyke, etc.

Problem is we started trading good players for chump change, like when we traded Aramis Ramirez. Our minor league system isn't producing anyone good. And when we do trade for a legitimate prospect, he sucks for years until we give up on him and then plays well somewhere else. Jason Schmidt was a bust for us and an All-Star for the Giants.
thats why you gotta have some faith in the new management, in the short time they have been here they have added so much more depth in the minoirs than years before
Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
So, me and a guy I am in class with were talking baseball. He is a Cards fan, and I am a Pirates fan obviously. We got to joking around and I said the Pirates are like the farm system for the majors. That got me thinking, what would be the Pirates all time traded away for prospects team. I cannot remember who was traded and who left during free agency. I know there are a ton of names like:

Bonds
Bonilla
Bay
Kendall
Drabek
Ramirez, that is all I can think of off the top of my head before I go to work.

Now, anyone feel like making an all traded away team?
Been saying that for years.
It doesn't take $200 million to win a championship. Just ask the Marlins. Someday, someone is going to WANT the Pirates to be a contender. I'd love to see that happen sooner rather than later....
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Tim Wakefield. He's done pretty good for himself after leaving the Bucs.

I remember the first time I saw him throw that knuckleball.... Damn... It was virtually unhittable. Problem was he only really had the one pitch. He got lit up the next year. Then they traded him.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Not anymore we don't. The Pirates have added a TON of legitimate talent just in the past 2 years, and if they sign the Dominican kid, that's one more legitimate talent added to the system. Alvarez and Lincoln both got selected today to play for the U.S. team in the Futures game during the All-Star break, and both likely will be with the team next year. Alvarez, despite hitting just .246 and striking out 75 times in 266 AB, he has 16 HR and 60 RBI between high A Lynchburg and AA Altoona. He was leading the Carolina League in RBI when he was promoted to Altoona on Monday. Lincoln is 2-5, but has a 2.20 ERA and was dominant in his first start with Indy after his promotion earlier this week. They got Tabata in the Nady trade and Gorkys Hernandez in the McLouth trade, both outfielders and both are doing well at Altoona. They just had a pretty solid draft and added some quality pitching depth. So the talent is there, it just needs to be developed, which I think will happen with their share of them. The only question is will Bob Nutting open up his wallet and pay to keep them here, particularly Alvarez since he has Scott Boras as his agent. Time will tell on that, and honestly I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

i just loved watching tim wakefield help the sox win 2 series. hasnt he been in their rotation for like 16 years now?

might as well name jim leyland as the mgr.

shit... even lofton blew up the year we had him, once we gave him to the cubs.