Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #401
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Apparently there was a deal in the works between the Nationals and the Pirates. The Nationals offered Lastings Millidge for Nyjer Morgan, but the Pirates also wanted Craig Stammen included in the deal, but the Nationals did not want to trade Stammen, and the deal fell through. But apparently they are still negotiating.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #402
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
Apparently there was a deal in the works between the Nationals and the Pirates. The Nationals offered Lastings Millidge for Nyjer Morgan, but the Pirates also wanted Craig Stammen included in the deal, but the Nationals did not want to trade Stammen, and the deal fell through. But apparently they are still negotiating.
getting rid of Nyjer Morgan is the next logical step in the decline of the franchise. great base runner, super fast, good feildsman, and he can hit. he's way too good for the Pirates. haha!

good thing it fell through. but i'm waiting for them to dump Doumit. =/

i hope Grienke get a line drive right to the scrotum on Sunday! haha!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #403
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Just take Milledge. The guy was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago and you can't call him a bust when he's still 24 years old.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #404
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Just take Milledge. The guy was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago and you can't call him a bust when he's still 24 years old.
Milledge though is a carrier .261(Batting .167 this year) hitter.Stammen is a 1-3 Pitcher with an ERA of 5.49 this year.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #405
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
getting rid of Nyjer Morgan is the next logical step in the decline of the franchise. great base runner, super fast, good feildsman, and he can hit. he's way too good for the Pirates. haha!

good thing it fell through. but i'm waiting for them to dump Doumit. =/

i hope Grienke get a line drive right to the scrotum on Sunday! haha!
Morgan was going to lose his job to either Gorkys Hernandez or Jose Tabata within the next 2 years anyway. As much as I've grown to like him, he's not part of the future of this team and I think he is slightly overvalued. He's definitely NOT a #2 hitter - he should either be leading off or hitting 8th. He's not going to lead off with McCutchen here, and as long as Jack Wilson is here he will not hit 8th. So if they can trade him for something of value, and I'd take Milledge and Stammen for him, then I say they do it. The only problem I would have with the deal, and it could be pretty significant, is that Milledge has character issues and dogs it out there quite often. But there is no question that he is far more talented than Morgan, not to mention 4 years younger.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #406
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Morgan was going to lose his job to either Gorkys Hernandez or Jose Tabata within the next 2 years anyway. As much as I've grown to like him, he's not part of the future of this team and I think he is slightly overvalued. He's definitely NOT a #2 hitter - he should either be leading off or hitting 8th. He's not going to lead off with McCutchen here, and as long as Jack Wilson is here he will not hit 8th. So if they can trade him for something of value, and I'd take Milledge and Stammen for him, then I say they do it. The only problem I would have with the deal, and it could be pretty significant, is that Milledge has character issues and dogs it out there quite often. But there is no question that he is far more talented than Morgan, not to mention 4 years younger.
Great post, completely agree

if someone isnt part of your future plans and you can get something in return for him you have to pull the trigger on it.

great performance tonight for the Pirates, Delwyn Young with a bomb of a home run and finally a solid performance from Maholm.

Four in a row, lets close out interleague with a W!!! Anyone know our longest win streak of the season?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #407
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Milledge though is a carrier .261(Batting .167 this year) hitter.Stammen is a 1-3 Pitcher with an ERA of 5.49 this year.
This very well could be another Howard for Kip Wells deal. Nyjer's a great guy but Milledge has elite tools. He played in his first full MLB season last year at 23 years old and hit .261. That's pretty good. He has only had 24 at-bats this year so you really can't say anything about his average.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #408
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
This very well could be another Howard for Kip Wells deal. Nyjer's a great guy but Milledge has elite tools. He played in his first full MLB season last year at 23 years old and hit .261. That's pretty good. He has only had 24 at-bats this year so you really can't say anything about his average.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. If management could get Milledge to drop the attitude, hot-dogging and play up to his 5-tool talent level, Huntington could be arrested for grand theft, because he would be very, very good. There are already fans whining about the possibility, and on the surface I can't blame them given their history, but if you asked them at this time last year if Morgan would ever be a serviceable major league player, most of them would say hell no. Pirates fans tend to overvalue some players when they play even decently, because we all want to win so badly, but Morgan is not and never will be an elite player and is not worthy of that kind of sentiment. On most other teams, he'd be a back-up outfielder, if he even made it to the majors in the first place.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #409
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Snell just completely destroyed Toledo today in AAA

17 K's in 7 innings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...olaaa_indaaa_1

He has the pitches to dominate in the majors, but I just dont get why he can translate this to the Majors???
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #410
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Snell just completely destroyed Toledo today in AAA

17 K's in 7 innings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...olaaa_indaaa_1

He has the pitches to dominate in the majors, but I just dont get why he can translate this to the Majors???
Because he allows any negative media and pressure to get to him, which ends up affecting his pitching. It's as simple as that. He doesn't have to deal with any of that in Indy, so he can go out there focused and relaxed, and you see the results. When he gets back here, he needs to do the same thing - tune out the media and the fans and just pitch. He'd be much better off for it.