Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #111
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Pttfffthp

Come in off the window ledge.

We are not going to be paying high priced free agents as long as we have Crosby and Malkin so I didn't expect the Pens to start wheeling and dealing on the first day, we don't have the room - Shero will find a way , tweaking here and there.
I know that, but for crying out loud, the Flyers were able to trade for a guy like Pronger and the Rangers dealt Scott Gomez in order to make room for Gaborik. You're telling me the Pens couldn't have done something similar, like maybe with Staal? Last time I checked, they STILL do not have a 2nd-line winger. Where do they think he's going to come from, out of thin air? They also need a 3rd pairing defenseman since more than likely they will lose Scuderi and Beauchemin is a pipe dream. I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect of Goligoski and Lovejoy as their potential 3rd pairing. And while I do like Mike Rupp - he will bring a nasty, physical edge to the team and is a good player for a 4th liner - it would be very tough to swallow if that ends up in Eric Godard being traded. Rupp can tackle HWs, but he is not the deterrent nor the fighter that Godard is.

Maybe I'm panicking too early, who knows? But right now, I see other teams getting better while the Pens are standing pat.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #112
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Gill was the worst player on our team almost every game

He is decent on PK but horrible 5 on 5

Oh well, he is gone and we are better off without him.

Notice how we didnt even try to re-sign him?

Now if we lose Scuderi, we could be in trouble
They're better off without him? They just won the Cup WITH him, and playing a major role no less.

You need to give up the Gill hatred and give the man credit for a job well done in the playoffs.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #113
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Rags still have a slow defense and Philly has no goalie, I ain't ascared.

Gaborick is getting five years at 7.75 per.??
Pronger is gonna eat him up.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #114
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
We are not going to be paying high priced free agents as long as we have Crosby and Malkin so I didn't expect the Pens to start wheeling and dealing on the first day, we don't have the room - Shero will find a way , tweaking here and there.
Agree.

Just like last year when they waited for the dust to settle and signed Tank and Satan, who were signed to $2.5 and 3.5 respectively. Although, I don't know if they have that much to spend this year without dumping salary somewhere else. Dupuis being the biggest target, but I don't think there are too many buyers on his contract...thanks to the thrashers, NOT the pens.

Also, looking at the hoser deal...didn't the Pens offer something like a 5yr-52mil deal last year?
I guess I still don't get the guys reasoning.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #115
Fire Haley
Banned

Blackhawks get Hossa and Madden - that's quite a haul. Too bad Detroit.

Shero doesn't fear change for Pens

Six players under contract to the Penguins before noon yesterday remained on the market, and only Scuderi, Fedotenko and winger Petr Sykora, 32, were on Shero's radar.

All are seeking multi-year deals, though Sykora, who scored 52 goals over the past two seasons, may consider returning on a one-year deal with a no-movement clause.

Scuderi and Fedotenko, both 30, are seeking term beyond two years, and Shero would need to move players to create cap space for next season and future campaigns.

Regarding that likelihood, Shero said last night that "nothing's really going on."

He also shrugged off suggestions that $1,585,000 annually was too costly for the services of Rupp and winger Eric Godard, who has two years remaining on a contract that counts $750,000 against the cap.

Unrestricted FA update

Beat reporter Rob Rossi gives the lowdown on activity between the Penguins and their players that became unrestricted free agents Wednesday:

LW Ruslan Fedotenko: Term continues to be sticking point in talks with Penguins.

D Rob Scuderi: Was mulling offers last night; planned to talk with Penguins one final time.

RW Petr Sykora: Return remains under consideration.

D Hal Gill: Signed with Montreal (two years, $4.5 million).

G Mathieu Garon: Signed with Columbus (two years, $2.4 million).

C Mike Zigomanis: No plans to bring him back.

RW Miroslav Satan: No plans to bring him back.

D Philippe Boucher: No plans to bring him back.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_631972.html
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #116
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I know that, but for crying out loud, the Flyers were able to trade for a guy like Pronger and the Rangers dealt Scott Gomez in order to make room for Gaborik. You're telling me the Pens couldn't have done something similar, like maybe with Staal? .
Why in the hell would they trade Staal??? That would be the dumbest thing they could do. You are losing it man
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #117
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
They're better off without him? They just won the Cup WITH him, and playing a major role no less.

You need to give up the Gill hatred and give the man credit for a job well done in the playoffs.
Obviously Shero realized he sucked as they didnt even think about re-signing him
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #118
Fire Haley
Banned

Trade Staal? Ridiculous. He ain't going anywhere. Pens just extended his contract this year through the 2012–13 season.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #119
Fire Haley
Banned

Kovy anyone?

Habs get Gionta, Gomez and Camalleri. smurf smurf smurf

They reeled in Spacek and Gill too.

It's like a whole new team. (mostly smurfs)

Gionta - five-year, $25 million
Camalleri-five-year, $30-million
Gomez - $7.35 million for the next 5 years? ha ha!

Gainey also said that all of Wednesday's additions would likely mean unrestricted free agents Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev and Alex Tanguay all would not return.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #120
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Obviously Shero realized he sucked as they didnt even think about re-signing him
yea, everyone that become free agents sucks, and insidepittsburghsports.com had a small little bit on how we did meet with Gill's reps about a new contract. Same place that i first heard about the possible Glencross deal.

He didnt fit into our long term plans, so why resign him?

We had a choice between to go after Scuds or Gill, and Scuderi is obviously the better defenseman. That doesnt mean Gill sucks, just that we would rather go after Scuderi.

on the insidepittsburghsports.com side, i saw that we were trying to get David Moss from Calgary and Calgary only would go for Glencross, which is why nothing happened. It also said Scuds was suppose to make a decision today