Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #71
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302
Default Re: Dante Stallworth gets THIRTY days in prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Well, that's the core of the issue right there. It's a question of access to "The System," and for the average person, there really isn't much of that unless you dedicate your entire life to changing the law.

Let's say I wanted to change the law in California so Stallworth would've gotten more time in jail. Where would I start? I could write a letter to my congressman, and it would be ignored. I could write to my state legislator, and it would be ignored. I could write a letter to the editor, maybe they'll publish it, but even then, nothing comes of it. At any point along the way on those paths, there's a "gatekeeper" who's more likely than not to dismiss you as a crazy person for having such an intense interest in a subject.

So there go the easy options ... what else? I could try to get a ballot measure passed -- but wait, this state is so big and unmanageable that you need more than a million signatures to do that. So good luck unless I'm already heavily involved and connected in politics. I guess I could run for office, or hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit. Those could conceivably work.

Problem is, with any of those, you're right back to dedicating your whole life to it, and that's not something most people can afford to do. That's why I really do believe there's become a disconnect in our system of "representation," and it's discouraging enough that common people mostly won't take more than a passing interest in it. So if it doesn't affect you or your family directly ... well, then yeah, mostly you don't have the time or energy to do more than register your complaint in a general sense. Multiply that by 50 issues you're unhappy with and could potentially be fighting for, and it looks even more pointless. That's why you find me here on the message board instead out on the street marching and breaking bottles or whatever it is you supposed I should be doing.

Sorry, man. Your theory works well on paper, but it's pretty hopeless down here at ground level.
Ever heard of MADD? They are responsible for the vast majority of law changes in the nation re: DUI. There is an equally strong argument that they have gone over the line.

Just because it is difficult to change a law does not mean the system is broke. If it were easy to change laws, laws would change all the time. You are right that a lot goes into a law being changed, enacted, repealed, whatever, and it should. You shouldn't be able to wake up one morning and say, I don't like this, let's change it. Most laws have been vetted substantially, so you are bound to meet some resistance. Likewise if you can't find a million people to sign on to your new law in a state the size of CA, maybe your proposal isn't that great. It should be a challenge to change to law and I have no qualms with it being that way.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #72
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Ever heard of MADD? They are responsible for the vast majority of law changes in the nation re: DUI. There is an equally strong argument that they have gone over the line.

Just because it is difficult to change a law does not mean the system is broke. If it were easy to change laws, laws would change all the time. You are right that a lot goes into a law being changed, enacted, repealed, whatever, and it should. You shouldn't be able to wake up one morning and say, I don't like this, let's change it. Most laws have been vetted substantially, so you are bound to meet some resistance. Likewise if you can't find a million people to sign on to your new law in a state the size of CA, maybe your proposal isn't that great. It should be a challenge to change to law and I have no qualms with it being that way.
Nor would I have a problem with it ... 10 or 15 years ago. However, at some point since then, it seems like the disconnect between the public and the legislative process has grown to the point where laws are basically created in a vacuum and the "substantial vetting" is mostly to make sure it won't cause the state to get sued by some disgruntled minority. Which usually happens anyway, the result being that half the time, the courts take it upon themselves to write the law unilaterally, in which case it's tailored to the small but vocal minority.

Then when people get upset that the legislative process isn't working, you get the ballot initiatives from the public trying to overrule the legislature, and of course half of them are poorly thought out themselves but pass anyway due to an overwhelming feeling of general resentment that the system isn't looking out for you, so you have to do it yourself. California in particular is really a great case study of a legislative system that has become broken and paralyzed with fear, complete with a public backlash that's equally broken in its own right.

There are really four parts to the problem in California -- the size of the state being unmanageable, so that one state legislator is theoretically supposed to represent a million people accurately and be receptive to them (good luck) ... which leads to money being ever more important to political achievement (further disconnecting the average person) ... the fact that, for some reason, this state now feels the need to legislate everything to death ... and finally, the increasing power of the litigious few to dictate the law for everyone else by basically abusing the legal system to hold the rest of us hostage.

The end result being that a lot of laws are made that aren't very good, and it's pretty hopeless to spend the effort to change one, because three new ones will spring up in its place. Your faith in the legislative system is really faith in a system that ceased to exist a number of years ago.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm pretty far removed from just talking about drunk driving by now.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #73
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784

Not to rehash this subject again, but I couldn't help but think of this topic and how it relates to common people vs celebrities because of what I just heard on my local news this morning. A guy ran into the back of a motorcycle while drunk; killing the motorcyclist. Got 4-12 years today. Just a little food for thought.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #74
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

I didn't think this was worthy of a separate thread, so I'll add this news here:
Judge won't release video of Donte Stallworth hitting pedestrian - Miami Herald

Quote:
A Miami-Dade judge on Thursday refused to release surveillance video that captured NFL player Donte' Stallworth fatally hitting a pedestrian who was crossing the MacArthur Causeway.

Stallworth, 28, is serving 30 days in a Miami-Dade jail after last month pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter in the drunk driving death of Mario Reyes, 59.

Reyes' family members, along with prosecutors, had asked that the video be restricted because its posting on the Internet or release on television would cause emotional trauma, especially for Reyes' 15-year-old daughter.
continue reading ...

The column also has a video of a Miami police officer administering the field sobriety test to Stallworth.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #75
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

They also have confirmed that he was also smoking dope at the time. That obviously makes the 30 days even more of an atrocity.