Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Art Gallery

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Hobbes
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 4679
Default Jack Lambert drawing

Hey ya'll
I just finshed this up last week and I thought I would see what everyone thought of my Jack Lambert piece here. It's 11x14 and drawn on heavy smooth paper, I even cut both matt boards myself!. Look for this to be on eBay next month along with some other Steelers stuff.

Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614
Default Re: Jack Lambert drawing

Great job...lambert is easily my favorite player of all time
Old 07-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Allstar
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2327

Lookin good.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

that's dope as hell bro. i love it. =)

as an artist myself, i can say that is a nice piece of work man. but not to nitpick, but i want to see more detail in the mustache! haha! just kidding.

if anything, it needs more bold line work which would help with the contrast. but your matte work is nice. i love it.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
that's dope as hell bro. i love it. =)

as an artist myself, i can say that is a nice piece of work man. but not to nitpick, but i want to see more detail in the mustache! haha! just kidding.

if anything, it needs more bold line work which would help with the contrast. but your matte work is nice. i love it.
I disagree.. it sounds like what you are suggesting is more along the lines of tattoo work.
To make a true artistic representation on paper, it's best to do away with lines altogether. Case in point-when you look at something that you are getting ready to draw, does it have a black outline around it? Of course not, nothing in life does.
To get the best contrast you have to look at what you want to draw & sometimes have to choose a different colored paper, or incorporate some sort of background that would allow you to show the white glove without an outline.
And don't sell yourself short on smooth paper-get something with a nice "tooth" that takes the pencil well.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by beSteelmyheart View Post
I disagree.. it sounds like what you are suggesting is more along the lines of tattoo work.
To make a true artistic representation on paper, it's best to do away with lines altogether. Case in point-when you look at something that you are getting ready to draw, does it have a black outline around it? Of course not, nothing in life does.
To get the best contrast you have to look at what you want to draw & sometimes have to choose a different colored paper, or incorporate some sort of background that would allow you to show the white glove without an outline.
And don't sell yourself short on smooth paper-get something with a nice "tooth" that takes the pencil well.
i wasn't really relating his drawing to tattoo work at all. all i was saying was to make his outlines bolder so his black and grey can contrast better. that's all. not all tattoos have black outlines either. the majority of them do because the art of ink in skin is a lot harder than ink on paper. it's better to have an outline to follow with tattoos because of the fact it's permanent. you want to keep it clean, smooth, and nice. but a lot of tattoos don't have outlines or they are outlined in pastel colors to give it a watercolor effect.

the picture is great the way it is, i was just giving him some contructive critism and just a little pointer. that's all.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
i wasn't really relating his drawing to tattoo work at all. all i was saying was to make his outlines bolder so his black and grey can contrast better. that's all. not all tattoos have black outlines either. the majority of them do because the art of ink in skin is a lot harder than ink on paper. it's better to have an outline to follow with tattoos because of the fact it's permanent. you want to keep it clean, smooth, and nice. but a lot of tattoos don't have outlines or they are outlined in pastel colors to give it a watercolor effect.

the picture is great the way it is, i was just giving him some contructive critism and just a little pointer. that's all.
I understand where you are coming from but to get more contrast in this case, with pencil I would suggest deeper shadows which would be a layering of a soft dark lead, & lighter highlights which could be achieved with lighter layers or a kneaded eraser. As for comparing tattoo art to pencil art as far as difficulty goes, I guess that would be relative to whomever is doing what & what their preference is. I could probably make a fortune doing tattoos but bleeding people tend to gross me out.
Hobbes, I'm sorry if I've hijacked your thread, you've done a great job & keep at it! (if you ever want to talk pencil art, send me a PM)