Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #181
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Free Agency

Pens apparently have signed D Jay McKee to a 1-year deal for $800,000:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...n-Pitt/5/22059

Absolutely FANTASTIC deal for the Pens. Provided that McKee stays healthy, he will give the Pens a much-needed and legit physical presence on the blue line for the 6th pairing. And even if he doesn't stay healthy, it's only 800K - not exactly "Glass Groin Gabby"-type money. I guess since the Blues bought him out for over $2 million, he could afford to take less to play for a winner.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #182
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post

Absolutely FANTASTIC deal for the Pens. Provided that McKee stays healthy, he will give the Pens a much-needed and legit physical presence on the blue line for the 6th pairing. And even if he doesn't stay healthy, it's only 800K - not exactly "Glass Groin Gabby"-type money. I guess since the Blues bought him out for over $2 million, he could afford to take less to play for a winner.
Sometimes the desire for your name on the Stanley Cup outweighs the desire for extra dollars. Maybe this is the case for McKee.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #183
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:

nice! that's a good deal!

If they can get 60 games out of McKee and let Lovejoy/Strait/whoever play the other 20 that should work well.
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #184
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:

I read that he was bought out by the Blues and is still being paid by them so money really wasnt a factor for him.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #185
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
I read that he was bought out by the Blues and is still being paid by them so money really wasnt a factor for him.
yep, so McKee decided to take a cheap 1 year deal and try to win the Cup!

I am really pleased with this signing

McKee is a similar type player as Scuderi except a little more physical whereas Scuderi is a better positional player.

Excellent signing!!!!
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #186
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Here's a little of what McKee brings to the table:

[YOUTUBE]qSurWu8b1uo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BMvxyG4RS9c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0ZkwCCsWItI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KcemA7OLeKM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #187
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Deal is now official: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=436745

EDIT: The deal is in fact for 800K, per the Trib.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 07-10-2009 at 01:14 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #188
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Now that is one tough son of a gun. Good Work Ray Shero.

From TIOPS: The Penguins are looking at signing Kevin Weekes to a 2 way deal, but he's waiting on the Devils.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #189
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
so McKee decided to take a cheap 1 year deal and try to win the Cup!

McKee is a similar type player as Scuderi except a little more physical whereas Scuderi is a better positional player.

Excellent signing!!!!
yep yep yep

He's an excellent shot blocker and good PKer - at a bargain basement price too!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #190
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Exclusive One on One: Metzer Sits Down With New Penguin Jay McKee

(long, long interview)

snips

BM: Just to elaborate on that a bit, were the Penguins a team that you did identify as a potential destination in free agency and when exactly did you guys and get the ball rolling with Ray Shero on potentially bringing you in here?

JM: They were actually a team that I identified as a team that I would like to consider going too the first time I was unrestricted. You could see what they were building there and what potential they had for the future and obviously that came true. So, I have known about that team and the way it was going to go for them for a long time. You can just see when teams go through some tough times and get some high draft picks and the way they build, if they bring the right people on board they are going to do some special things and that’s what is happening in Pittsburgh. I am excited that I am going to be part of their future.

BM: I think that what you bring to the table is especially attractive based on what they lost in Scuderi and Gill…especially in Scuderi with the style that you both play?

JM: This time around being unrestricted was completely different than last time. I was able to sit back and look more at what the teams have and I noticed that Pittsburgh did have a couple guys that were going to be UFAs and you don’t know if their going to sign the night before or the day of or what. I certainly kept a little bit of a target on that team and I was fortunate to see both of those guys move on to a new spot and I it certainly opened up a spot for me given that I have some comparables to those players. Certainly the bottom line is you have to rely on that team wanting to bring you in and liking what you have and I feel very fortunate that that’s what they felt.

BM: I think that is the case, Ray Shero has already been very complimentary of what you bring to the table. He has done a nice job of cheer leading your arrival in Pittsburgh…

--------------------

BM: We sort of talked about this already…but when you look at your game. How would you describe Jay McKee? Everyone always jumps to the shot blocking and the sound defensive play, but is there any hidden element to your game that you might be able to tell me about?

JM: Yeah, I’ve got all of this offense I’m just not showing anybody… (Laughing)

BM: Yeah, you’ve been holding off right? (Laughing back)

JM: Yeah, for years!! That’s it, I just take pride in the penalty-killing role. I certainly hope that we can get our penalty killing in the top of the league. It wasn’t last year for Pittsburgh, I am not sure where they were, but that certainly is a role I take a lot of passion and pride in. My game is really structured around smart sound defensive play and a lot of times it’s not things that you notice, but as long as I get the job done and play consistent that’s what I try to focus to do and stepping up some hits at the right time. I know when I was younger I used to run around all night long trying to chase guys and hit all over the ice and would kind of get myself caught out of position. The players have only gotten faster and quicker and better in this league and if you don’t have the right timing and pick your spots you’re going to end up having scoring chances against. That is what I try to keep to a minimum. Typically become best friends with my goaltenders…that’s probably the inner most secret I have.

----------------

BM: Final question…have you had a chance to talk with the equipment guys in Pittsburgh, what number are you going to be wearing so the folks in town can get those jerseys stitched up for the first game this year?

JM: (Laughing) I don’t have a definite yet, but 74 was good to me in the East…

BM: I think it’s available… (Laughing)

JM: I don’t think I am going to be wearing 77, unless Paul Coffey comes up to me and says excuse me Mr. McKee I would be honored if you would wear 77. I don’t think that is going to happen, so I will probably wear something else. I am leaning towards going back to 74; it treated me very good in the Eastern Conference, so there is probably a pretty good chance that I will be wearing that.

BM: I will pass that along…I am sure you will see the jerseys purchased. They don’t care if you are on a one-year deal. They will already be calling for you to sign on next season after your first game here.

JM: Take a poll, ask fans what they want me to wear…(laughing)…. I’m not tied to any number really.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian...McKee/54/22105
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote