Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #511
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Seems that Giants fans disagree with you - many of them are PISSED that they gave up Alderson for Sanchez. They saw him possibly being in the rotation next year and being a quality starter. Even if he didn't make the rotation next year, they projected him to eventually make it, because he's that good.
i would think that alderson becomes our #1 pitching prospect. The only way i would of traded Sanchez to SF, Alderson would have to been involved. Even with Alderson, we should of been able to get some more out of that trade no doubt.

I like most of the players we got in return, but when you trade Freddy, Jack and Ian in one day, who should be getting a little more than what we got.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #512
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfanman92 View Post
That Sanchez trade really bothered me. How the hell can you go out and trade your best player for a pitcher that gave up 76 runs in 72 2/3 innings of f*cking AA ball? Sorry about that but I think I am done with the Pirates, these last two trades really put me over the edge.
where did u get 76 runs? you mean 76 hits? For a 20 year old to have a 3.47 ERA in AA is very impressive. You dont see many 20 year olds holding there own for a whole season in AA. He only has 14 walks in that 72 IP so the control is already there.

We should of gotten Alderson+ more but whats done is done, we finally have that front of the rotation prospect we have been waiting for...

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Lincoln
4. Morton
5. Moskos

good looking rotation if you ask me
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #513
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
i would think that alderson becomes our #1 pitching prospect. The only way i would of traded Sanchez to SF, Alderson would have to been involved. Even with Alderson, we should of been able to get some more out of that trade no doubt.

I like most of the players we got in return, but when you trade Freddy, Jack and Ian in one day, who should be getting a little more than what we got.
SF is very deep in pitching and really not much else, so I don't think they could have gotten any more than that unless it was another, less-highly-touted pitching prospect. I would have liked to see more out of that deal as well, though. Still, I won't bitch about getting Alderson, and yes, he does become our #1 pitching prospect. It also officially puts Brad Lincoln on notice that he'd better get his shyt together if he wants to be in Pittsburgh next year, because he ain't "the man" anymore.

The Wilson trade, though...I'm still not sold on that. There's really not one can't miss prospect in the lot - even the A-ball pitchers aren't sure things (though they have been good). Jeff Clement had better be a decent stick, because we have a dearth of power in the organization right now other than Jones and Alvarez.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #514
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

one more post, when i was looking up Alderson's stats i looked up our boy Tony Sanchez has been doing...

Now at Low-A West Virginia

17 games- .369 2 HR 18 RBI .488 OBP and has 9 walks to 12 K's

looking real good
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #515
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
SF is very deep in pitching and really not much else, so I don't think they could have gotten any more than that unless it was another, less-highly-touted pitching prospect. I would have liked to see more out of that deal as well, though. Still, I won't bitch about getting Alderson, and yes, he does become our #1 pitching prospect. It also officially puts Brad Lincoln on notice that he'd better get his shyt together if he wants to be in Pittsburgh next year, because he ain't "the man" anymore.
the first time i heard about Sanchez maybe going to SF it was Alderson+Emanuel Burriss+ a AAA pitcher who i cant remember his name. Snell might have been in on that trade and thats why we didnt get all of them, im not really sure.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #516
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
the first time i heard about Sanchez maybe going to SF it was Alderson+Emanuel Burriss+ a AAA pitcher who i cant remember his name. Snell might have been in on that trade and thats why we didnt get all of them, im not really sure.
I don't think they were going to get all of those guys for just Sanchez, though it would have been nice. That would have been the trade equivalent of a gang rape had Huntington been able to swing that deal.

It's funny reading some of the comments about this deal. Giants fans are pissed because they gave up a stud pitcher for a "light-hitting 2B" and Pirates fans are pissed because in their view, it's the "same old Pirates." It's like watching Cinderella and Snow White bitching about Rapunzel getting the better-looking "handsome Prince."

As for T. Sanchez, nice to hear he's doing so well. He'll be in Altoona next year for sure if he keeps this up.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #517
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

I love both of the trades. We finally got a legit ace in Alderson.

We got a third overall pick for Jack Wilson and Ian Snell. We also got 3 young pitchers.

I like how we sold Sanchez high.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #518
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
I don't think they were going to get all of those guys for just Sanchez, though it would have been nice. That would have been the trade equivalent of a gang rape had Huntington been able to swing that deal.

It's funny reading some of the comments about this deal. Giants fans are pissed because they gave up a stud pitcher for a "light-hitting 2B" and Pirates fans are pissed because in their view, it's the "same old Pirates." It's like watching Cinderella and Snow White bitching about Rapunzel getting the better-looking "handsome Prince."

As for T. Sanchez, nice to hear he's doing so well. He'll be in Altoona next year for sure if he keeps this up.
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm in favor of the Sanchez trade. I think it was a steal. No way in hell does SF give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez. Same old Pirates or not, we weren't winning with him (and the other bats we've traded this year) and a lot of it had to do with out bats not showing up. Alderson will be on the big team next season I'd imagine and once he gets 30-50 starts under his belt he should be a real stud. 6'6" 217lbs.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #519
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
where did u get 76 runs? you mean 76 hits? For a 20 year old to have a 3.47 ERA in AA is very impressive. You dont see many 20 year olds holding there own for a whole season in AA. He only has 14 walks in that 72 IP so the control is already there.

We should of gotten Alderson+ more but whats done is done, we finally have that front of the rotation prospect we have been waiting for...

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Lincoln
4. Morton
5. Moskos

good looking rotation if you ask me
I don't know how I didn't pick up on that - yes, it was 76 HITS in 72.2 innings pitched. He'd have an ERA over 9 if it were 76 runs, not 3.47, which you're correct, is very good for a 20 year old pitcher. Looks like the dude was just panicking without actually reading the story.

Anyway, as I said, the Giants weren't going to give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez, so in that regard, it's a solid trade. And that rotation looks pretty good, except Maholm has to fit in there somewhere. So I think it'll look like this:

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Maholm
4. Morton
5. Lincoln

I think that's an even better rotation.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 07-29-2009 at 11:58 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #520
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
I don't know how I didn't pick up on that - yes, it was 76 HITS in 72.2 innings pitched. He'd have an ERA over 9 if it were 76 runs, not 3.47, which you're correct, is very good for a 20 year old pitcher. Looks like the dude was just panicking without actually reading the story.

Anyway, as I said, the Giants weren't going to give up much more than Alderson for Sanchez, so in that regard, it's a solid trade. And that rotation looks pretty good for next year, except Maholm has to fit in there somewhere. So I think it'll look like this:

1. Duke
2. Alderson
3. Maholm
4. Morton
5. Lincoln

I think that's an even better rotation.
Doubt the Pirates rush Alderson. He's only 20.