Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #551
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain
 
BehindSteelCurtain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 918
Member Number: 11279
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, I accidentally hit the refresh button and it re-posted what I said above.

Anyway, if either Strickland or Diaz turn out to be anything half-decent, the Pirates will have stolen the Red Sox's lunch money in that deal since they turned around and dealt LaRoche just 9 days after getting him.
Highly doubtful. Strickland did pitch part of a no-hitter in his debut. Don't see him being anything special. Diaz has an elite glove but is a slap hitter.
__________________
BehindSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #552
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Highly doubtful. Strickland did pitch part of a no-hitter in his debut. Don't see him being anything special. Diaz has an elite glove but is a slap hitter.
Oh I agree, just wishful thinking on my part. I really don't expect either of these guys to amount to much of anything.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #553
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain
 
BehindSteelCurtain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 918
Member Number: 11279
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

McCutchen 3 HRs thus far
__________________
BehindSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #554
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
McCutchen 3 HRs thus far
See my sig...

This kid is a stud. No question about it.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #555
Stang909
Bench Warmer
 
Stang909's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 205
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4659
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Cutch is now one of three Pirates outfielders to hit 3 homers in a game. The other two, Stargell and Clemente.
__________________

On Ice or Grass We'll kick your Ass!
Stang909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #556
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang909 View Post
Cutch is now one of three Pirates outfielders to hit 3 homers in a game. The other two, Stargell and Clemente.
Yeah, in fact Stargell was the answer to the baseball quiz question tonight at the ballpark - he holds the Pirates record for most total bases in one game with 15. He had 3 HRs, a double and a single. Cutch, BTW, finished with 13 total bases tonight - not too shabby. And to think he's just 22 years old and is going to get better with experience. That's friggin scary.

Great minor league update for tonight:

- Jose Tabata was 3 for 3 in his AAA debut tonight. He was promoted to Indy yesterday.
- Jeff Clement has 2 more hits tonight, both singles. He's 5 for 9 since coming over in the Jack Wilson trade.
- Tim Alderson got the win in his first start for Altoona. He went 5.2 innings, gave up 1 ER on 7 hits and struck out 4.
- Pedro Alvarez was 1 for 1 with a HR...but he walked a staggering FOUR TIMES tonight. That is a great sign because he had been striking out at an alarming rate. Hopefully he keeps showing that kind of plate discipline. He also raised his average to .308 with the Curve with 7 HR and 21 RBI.
- Brett Lorin, one of the pitchers who came over in the Wilson trade, made his low-A debut tonight with West Virginia, and was outstanding - 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER and 3 K. Got a no-decision, however.
- Tony Sanchez continues to impress. He was 2 for 4 tonight, with a double, RBI and run scored. His average is now .346.

God, this organization is SO loaded with quality talent now. I just hope they all continue to develop very nicely, because if they do...2011 could be a pretty nice season for Bucs fans.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #557
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, in fact Stargell was the answer to the baseball quiz question tonight at the ballpark - he holds the Pirates record for most total bases in one game with 15. He had 3 HRs, a double and a single. Cutch, BTW, finished with 13 total bases tonight - not too shabby. And to think he's just 22 years old and is going to get better with experience. That's friggin scary.

Great minor league update for tonight:

- Jose Tabata was 3 for 3 in his AAA debut tonight. He was promoted to Indy yesterday.
- Jeff Clement has 2 more hits tonight, both singles. He's 5 for 9 since coming over in the Jack Wilson trade.
- Tim Alderson got the win in his first start for Altoona. He went 5.2 innings, gave up 1 ER on 7 hits and struck out 4.
- Pedro Alvarez was 1 for 1 with a HR...but he walked a staggering FOUR TIMES tonight. That is a great sign because he had been striking out at an alarming rate. Hopefully he keeps showing that kind of plate discipline. He also raised his average to .308 with the Curve with 7 HR and 21 RBI.
- Brett Lorin, one of the pitchers who came over in the Wilson trade, made his low-A debut tonight with West Virginia, and was outstanding - 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER and 3 K. Got a no-decision, however.
- Tony Sanchez continues to impress. He was 2 for 4 tonight, with a double, RBI and run scored. His average is now .346.

God, this organization is SO loaded with quality talent now. I just hope they all continue to develop very nicely, because if they do...2011 could be a pretty nice season for Bucs fans.
Next year could be the year they bust .500 to if they get enough of these guys developing right and they find away to keep putting prospects into the system through the draft. Just as long as Huntington can lock some guys up that appear to be a good part of their future long term, this could be a team who could challenge for the World Series in the 2010s.
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #558
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain
 
BehindSteelCurtain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 918
Member Number: 11279
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

How about locking up Cutch long term now?

EDIT**Maybe not now, but sometime soon.
__________________
BehindSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #559
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain
 
BehindSteelCurtain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 918
Member Number: 11279
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

I hope Alvarez can stay over at 3rd. He'll be much more valuable.

I could not have asked more out of Sanchez. He's hitting very well. Would a Russell Martin comparison be accurate?

I expect Pearce to struggle and Clement gets called up to play first. Maybe in a few weeks. I want to see Tabata hit for some more power. Especially if he wants to play a corner OF. Next year will be exciting.

Projected 2010 lineup-eventually...I put the age to show how young they are.

CF- McCutchen-22
LF: Milledge-24
3B: Alvarez-22
1B: Clement-25
RF: Tabata-20
C: Sanchez-22
2B: Young-27
SS: Cedeno-26

I dont expect Sanchez, Tabata, Alvarez to be with the Pirates on Opening Day. My guess is LaRoche, Doumit, Jones get traded during the season and the young guns take over.

1) Zach Duke
2) Paul Maholm
3) Brad Lincoln
4) Charlie Morton
5) Kevin Hart
__________________

Last edited by BehindSteelCurtain; 08-02-2009 at 01:09 AM.
BehindSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #560
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter
 
pittsburghp8baller's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Posts: 1,874
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
I hope Alvarez can stay over at 3rd. He'll be much more valuable.

I could not have asked more out of Sanchez. He's hitting very well. Would a Russell Martin comparison be accurate?

I expect Pearce to struggle and Clement gets called up to play first. Maybe in a few weeks. I want to see Tabata hit for some more power. Especially if he wants to play a corner OF. Next year will be exciting.

Projected 2010 lineup-eventually...I put the age to show how young they are.

CF- McCutchen-22
LF: Milledge-24
3B: Alvarez-22
1B: Clement-25
RF: Tabata-20
C: Sanchez-22
2B: Young-27
SS: Cedeno-26

I dont expect Sanchez, Tabata, Alvarez to be with the Pirates on Opening Day. My guess is LaRoche, Doumit, Jones get traded during the season and the young guns take over.

1) Zach Duke
2) Paul Maholm
3) Brad Lincoln
4) Charlie Morton
5) Kevin Hart
Looks like a kick ass Lineup and solid enough rotation to compete.

Since DirectTV wont let me watch the Pirate/Nats game live im watching the encore right now, unbelievable. McCutchen is increbible, whoever said we should lock him up now is compeletly right. We need to pull off a Tampa Bay/Evan Longoria situation. They tied him up quickly and early in his career so they get get him for the next 6 years i believe for extremely cheap

Ron Dibble has spent the entire game bashing the pirates, saying this team is full of AAA players and the Nats should be pounding them. Wait a second? which team only has 32 wins?
__________________
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts