Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #31
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302
Default Re: Ohio State Football Thread

I'm sure eventually a USC down turn is going to happen, nothing profound there, just like an eventual OSU, UF, LSU, Texas downturn will happen. I wouldn't get your hopes up for this year though. USC's recruiting has been phenomenal. Notre Dame will never be back as long as it's academic standards are higher than other football powerhouses.

Again, the big 10 may come back some day but what 5 or 6 teams are going to be in the top 25? Certainly 1 year of winning bowl records isn't a comeback anymore than 1 year of losses is a downturn. I think the Big 10 is on a several year, possibly decade long bowl losing stretch. OSu is pretty much the lone bright spot in recent years.

You ever consider why Big 10 football is big in AZ? Same reason it is in other warm weather climates should give you a hint.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #32
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I'm sure eventually a USC down turn is going to happen, nothing profound there, just like an eventual OSU, UF, LSU, Texas downturn will happen. I wouldn't get your hopes up for this year though. USC's recruiting has been phenomenal. Notre Dame will never be back as long as it's academic standards are higher than other football powerhouses.

Again, the big 10 may come back some day but what 5 or 6 teams are going to be in the top 25? Certainly 1 year of winning bowl records isn't a comeback anymore than 1 year of losses is a downturn. I think the Big 10 is on a several year, possibly decade long bowl losing stretch. OSu is pretty much the lone bright spot in recent years.
You ever consider why Big 10 football is big in AZ? Same reason it is in other warm weather climates should give you a hint.
I don't think you even watch college football. That statement is so stupid that it boggles the mind.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dogg View Post
Two things are going to happen in college football pretty soon.

1. USC is going to hit a down cycle. It's nothing personal USC fans, it's just bound to happen. The Pac 10 is better and other schools are starting to take USC recruits away from them. UCLA. Cal, and Oregon State are all better. Plus Notre Dame has gotten much more involved in SoCal is the last few years.

2. The Big Ten is going to come roaring back. It could happen this year. An Ohio State win against USC would be a start. 5 or 6 Big Ten teams in the Top 25 would continue it, and a winning bowl record would cement it.

And for those who say Big Ten love is a Midwestern thing, can it OK. I lived in Arizona for a long time and there's a TON of love out there for Penn State, Ohio State, and Illinois plus a TON of love for Notre Dame.
1. I still think USC will win the Pac 10 though. Pete Carroll will find a way to win with what he has got.

2. Big Ten WILL come back to life in 2009. People just don't give it the respect it deserves because they think it's "boring." You know what the funny part is though? Why are certain Big Ten teams successful in Bowl Games? They can run the ball. You don't have to always pass the ball to win.

Agreed. Penn State has had attendance from areas such as Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, etc. Also not to mention there are a lot of Penn State, a few Ohio State, and Michigan fans near where I live.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #34
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
I don't think you even watch college football. That statement is so stupid that it boggles the mind.
Really? Let's see OSU is 4-3 in BCS games.
Michigan is next with most appearances with and astounding 1-3 record.
Wisconsin is 2-0 with wins in the 1999 and 200 rose bowl, hardly recent.
PSU is 1-1 with it's only win in 2006
Illinois is 0-2 with an absolute demolition in 2008
and Finally Iowa is 0-1.

Now enlighten me oh ye of superior intellect who exactly is the bright spot in that roster of fools if not OSU? Or maybe you could look at their overall record and come up with a cogent argument about how someone other than OSU has been a bright spot in recent years, oh wait no, you can't because the Big 10s bowl record blows. My oh my, who is stupid now??
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #35
J Dogg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Really? Let's see OSU is 4-3 in BCS games.
Michigan is next with most appearances with and astounding 1-3 record.
Wisconsin is 2-0 with wins in the 1999 and 200 rose bowl, hardly recent.
PSU is 1-1 with it's only win in 2006
Illinois is 0-2 with an absolute demolition in 2008
and Finally Iowa is 0-1.

Now enlighten me oh ye of superior intellect who exactly is the bright spot in that roster of fools if not OSU? Or maybe you could look at their overall record and come up with a cogent argument about how someone other than OSU has been a bright spot in recent years, oh wait no, you can't because the Big 10s bowl record blows. My oh my, who is stupid now??:coffee:
You are. You're mixing BCS and non-BCS numbers in a way that really defies all logic.

The lesson here is to not argue college football with a USC fan....but I already knew that.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #36
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

The biggest issue with USC (this season) revolves around 3 things.

1 - New QB. Yes, they are (like OSU) a school that typically reloads as opposed to rebuilds...but it's not like they've had a guy in the system for a few years. They're very green back there this season.

2 - New D-Coordinator. That means Pete Carrol will be spending even more time coaching coaches...and less time with the players than usual.

3 - New O-Coordinator. See note above. This is why Pete Carrol (IMO) really wanted Sanchez to stay this past season. Normally he doesn't have a huge issue with his guys going early if they are going in the first round. However, new QB and two new Coordinators while traveling to OSU in their second game is a bad combination. By November, they'll likely be their typicaly USC since Carroll took over...but it's too early to tell right now.

GO BUCKS!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #37
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
You are. You're mixing BCS and non-BCS numbers in a way that really defies all logic.

The lesson here is to not argue college football with a USC fan....but I already knew that.
Then post up the non BCS #'s if you are so sure of yourself. I bet you won't because it will show how wrong your are. I'm not a USC fan but I'm not a blind big 10 homer. Come back when you get some stats and facts junior. How any bowl win outside the BCS can be considered a bright spot is what really boggles my mind. The big 10 champion is expected to compete for the National Title every year, winning the outback bowl is hardly earth shattering but of course you already knew that right Poindexter?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Let me help you out genius,

Bowl records for the past decade by conference:

All bowls

SEC: 44-30 (59.4%)
Big12: 33-32 (50.7%)
PAC10: 20-20 (50%)
BigEast: 19-18 (51.4%)
ACC: 24-28 (46.1%)
Big10: 28-38 (42.4%) <------- Who is that in last place?

... then just the BCS records...

SEC: 11-4 (73.3%), 4 BCS Titles
PAC10: 8-4 (66.7%), 1 BCS Title
BigEast: 6-4 (60%), 1 BCS Title
Big10: 8-8 (50%), 1 BCS Title
Big12: 6-8 (42.9%), 2 BCS Titles
ACC: 1-9 (10%), 1 BCS Title

Take out the BCS bowls since you obviously think the winner of the motor city bowl is a bright spot...

SEC: 33-26 (55%)
ACC: 23-19 54.7%)
Big12: 27-26 (50.9%)
BigEast: 13-14 (48.1%)
PAC10: 12-16 42.8%)
Big10: 20-30 (40%) <------- Who is that in last place?

Big 10 bowl records by team over the last decade:

1. OSU: 4-5 with 1 NC. 3 Fiesta Bowl wins and an Alamo Bowl win. Been in a BCS game 6 out the last 7 years.
2. Illinois: 1-2 (micronPC in 99, Sugar 01, Rose 07) MicronPC is the one they won, woohoo
3. Indiana has played in 1 bowl in the last decade, they lost in the Insight.com bowl, another bright spot.
4. Iowa: 4-3 The won the Alamo, the Outback twice and the Capital One
5. Michigan is 4-5 They won the Orange, Citrus, Outback and Capital One. The only team with even a colorful claim as a bright spot besides OSU.
6. Michigan State: 2-3 Wins in the Citrus and hold on to your seat, the Silicon valley Bowl
7. Minnesota 3-5 2 Music City and a Sun bowl win
8. Northwestern 0-4 in the Alamo, Motor City and Sun bowls
9. Penn State 4-2 A good record but only wins in Alamo twice, Orange and Outback, so 1 meaningful win.
10. Purdue 2-6 Wins in motor city and Sun Bowls
11. Wisconsin 5-4 Wins in Rose in 99, Sun, Alamo and Capital One twice.

So now you analyze the Big 10's bowl records:

1. OSU has 1 National Title, 3 BCS wins and appearance in BCS bowls 6 out of the last 7 years. Pretty big bright spot if you ask me. They have more BCS wins than the rest of the teams in the Big 10 combined.
2. UW has 2 BCS wins, the last in 99, last 2 bowl wins were the Outback Bowl in 05 & 06.
3. Michigan 1 BCS win, 2 appearances and wins in 2nd tier bowls.
4. Penn State has a great Bowl record but 1 BCS win in 2 shots, hardly a bright spot unless you consider the Alamo Bowl one, which judging by your asinine comments, you probably do.

Lets look at top 10 rankings over the recent past, because personally #13 isn't a bright spot, thats like saying Hey Steelers good job you only missed out on the playoffs by 1 game, great season!!! You sure are a bright spot!

02: OSU #1, Iowa #8, UM #9
03: OSU #4, UM #6, Iowa #8
04: Iowa #8
05: PSU #3, OSU #4
06: OSU #2, UW #7, UM #8
07: OSU #5
08: PSU #8, OSU #9

OSU cracks the top 10 6 times, UM 3, Iowa 3, PSU 2, UW 1.

Michigan and Iowa are you bright spots huh?

This isn't a bash the Big 10 by me this is a J Dogg called me out as stupid and is now getting schooled by facts. It's no secret the Big 10 has been down, even Revs agrees with that. But to say anyone other than OSU has been a bright spot in the Big 10 in the recent past is ridiculousness at it's finest.

Class dismissed J Dogg.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #39
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Wuh-woh! Waggy got PWNT
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #40
J Dogg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Wuh-woh! Waggy got PWNT
Huh? I put him on ignore after he proved he was a dumbass.