Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: WTH Is Wrong With Kids Today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it!

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass!

First... you took my post in a direction I did not intend. I was simply talking about how we devalue life... and that is one part of a much larger issue.

However, in response to what you DID post... The distinction I make... and you ALSO made it in your post... is the fact that you had parents to teach you the difference. To guide you. I too am VERY big on personal responsibility. However, I ALSO understand that kids have to be guided. When i saw something on TV, and I tried to mimic it cause I thought it was funny, my mother put the smack down on me. I learned very fast that TV and videogames WERE NOT reality, nor was it funny to MIMIC it in reality.

When you have kids that do NOT have PARENTAL GUIDANCE, that won't correct them for doing wrong, and will not teach them that it is not funny or cool to mimic what they see on a screen, then you get kids that do very idiot things. The facts are out there.

It is out there in the kid who killed his younger sibling replicating a wrestling move from a video game.

The hundreds of kids who break arms, legs, etc, trying to replicate skateboard/snowboard moves on video games,

etc. etc.

IS IT THE VIDEO GAME'S FAULT? NO. It is the Parent's fault for letting those who are too young or to little mental faculty play the game. But to completely exhonerate video games is wrong.

After all, the military uses high tech video games for a specific reason... as do the police in many counties... To mold and cut down reaction time.

Again, right and mature mental faculty is needed-- and that is the parent's responsibility.

That is not an excuse, that is an honest assessment of the situation, as was my first post. I don't look for cheap excuses.... they never solve problems.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Because their Fathers don't have Leather Belts to Beat their Sorry Arses with when they do something against the Public Good.

My father had a Stick...a large stick...he placed it in my room when I was about 11 years old...he said..."See this stick...when you turn 18, I'm going to beat the shiiit out of you with this stick for all the bad stuff you do."

Guess what...I was a good kid. When I turned 18, my Pop commended me on my good behavior and we had a beer together. He only ever booted my arse once.

I played every video game in the world, played army, shot people with toy guns, did all that crap...but Knew if I screwed up...Pop was going to take it out on me with the Stick.

That's the problem.

Last edited by HometownGal; 08-15-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Dino, Dino, Dino - no F BOMBS!!!!
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

It was applicable then, and it still works today.

Oh, and I hope Dr. Spock is burning in a particularly hot spot in Hell today for all the damage he did.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

It was applicable then, and it still works today.

Oh, and I hope Dr. Spock is burning in a particularly hot spot in Hell today for all the damage he did.
Ding ding ding...

Though I do find it interesting that you are quoting from scripture there Revs...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Because their Fathers don't have Leather Belts to Beat their Sorry Arses with when they do something against the Public Good.

My father had a Stick...a large stick...he placed it in my room when I was about 11 years old...he said..."See this stick...when you turn 18, I'm going to beat the shiiit out of you with this stick for all the bad stuff you do."

Guess what...I was a good fcking kid. When I turned 18, my Pop commended me on my good behavior and we had a beer together. He only ever booted my arse once.

I played every video game in the world, played army, shot people with toy guns, did all that crap...but Knew if I fcked up...Pop was going to take it out on me with the Stick.

That's the problem.
Bingo. They go hand in hand. One WILL have the influence if the other doesn't. And 99 out of 100 times, the HUMAN will have the influence over the non-human source . . . but that also means the human has to teach a respect for life (or just a respect for your neighbor, which roughly translates the same in a kids brain).
Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ding ding ding...

Though I do find it interesting that you are quoting from scripture there Revs...
Why? I went to church for 16 years...I learned a lot of good things there especially about having a moral code. I also believe in God...

Just not a fan of organized religion...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Why? I went to church for 16 years...I learned a lot of good things there especially about having a moral code. I also believe in God...

Just not a fan of organized religion...

Hmmm... We may have to have another one of those marathon threads...

Cause after all, I hate religion too.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The season is starting! We have other things to discuss, like how Bruce Arians is the worst OC in the league and how much more WE know than the Steelers coaches and FO!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
The season is starting! We have other things to discuss, like how Bruce Arians is the worst OC in the league and how much more WE know than the Steelers coaches and FO!

Ok... we'll hold off until next offseason!!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Ok... we'll hold off until next offseason!!
Oh, and Mendenhall is a BUST! Kuhn to the HOF? No way, dude, Isaac Redmon is the new "Man", man!