Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Plex to Jail for 2 years

Yep. Plax would have been better off killing someone while driving under the influence. No doubt he was a fool to pack that weapon the way he did and shoot himself, but I bet there are NYC felons who commited burglaries and robberies and got far less jailtime.

This is all politically motivated - the mayor is pimping his re-election bid. Any other NFL city and he would probably have gotten off with a much lighter charge, if any. Burress paid a fairly heavy price to find out what it feels like to get shot.

Mandatory minimum sentences are unconstitutional!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #32
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i guess thats why they have different degree's for major offenses, i guess they would just have to expand on that. oh and by the way, pleading ignorance to the law is an unacceptable excuse... i tried that one a few years ago on a seatbelt violation in another state ...and the cop told me "thats your bad" ....
Well, yeah, there are all kinds of different guidelines about enhancements for certain situations, mitigating circumstances for others, and a thousand other situations, to help judges and juries hand out appropriate sentences. Most of them are good ideas, too. I think the problem with mandatory minimums is that they come into conflict with that, and bring it back toward a one-size-fits-all punishment no matter what the guidelines originally said.

I get your point about how if you put it ALL in the hands of the judge, you could end up with mistakes being made. But getting rid of human judgment entirely is probably going to make just as many mistakes.

And don't even get me started about ignorance of the law; I've had my run-in with that too. My experience was when I was driving through Oregon and running low on gas ... so I pulled into a station, got out and started pumping. About 10 seconds later, the attendant came running out screaming "What the hell are you DOING?" and just stood there staring at me like I had two dicks. Turns out Oregon has a law against pumping your own gas; you HAVE to have the station attendant do it for you. Anyway, right then a cop showed up (whether by chance or because the attendant called them I don't know) and asked what was going on ... when I tried to explain I was from California and never heard of such a crazy law, he just sort of chuckled and sneered at me -- apparently, in Oregon, they have a certain contempt for Californians and their overpopulated big-city lifestyles.

So he gave me a notice to appear in court instead of a regular ticket -- basically to be a dick, because it meant I'd have to drive all the way up to Oregon again. But the joke was on them because I never showed up, betting the DA would never waste his time filing charges over something so stupid, which turned out to be correct.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #33
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
But the joke was on them because I never showed up
So you're a....

FUGITIVE FROM JUSTICE - [federal] Any person who has fled from any State to avoid prosecution for a crime or to avoid giving testimony in any criminal proceeding. 18 U.S.C.

One who, having committed a crime within a jurisdiction, goes into another in order to evade the law and avoid its punishment.

Do you have to dye your hair and wear wigs now?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Didn't the mayor say right off the bat that he was going to come down hard on Plex and throw the book at him?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
The other thing that you're not mentioning is that Plex was carrying an unregistered gun.
Two years is still excessive.

In spite of his dumbassery, at the end of the day he's going to jail for having a gun. That's disturbing.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #36
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Didn't the mayor say right off the bat that he was going to come down hard on Plex and throw the book at him?
Why yes he did

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, 12-2-08

Mayor Bloomberg fuming over Plaxico shooting: "Throw the book at him."

An irate Mayor Bloomberg Monday demanded that prosecutors throw the book at Giants star Plaxico Burress for bringing a loaded handgun into a crowded midtown nightclub and accidentally shooting himself in the leg.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...co_shoo-3.html
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #37
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

plex will get off for good behavior and pierce is very lucky he isnt doing time with plex in the hokey.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #38
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I don't feel bad for Plaxico at all.

He was offered a plea deal with just 3 months in prison. He turned it down.

Now he realized that he broke a few laws and will end up with at least 3 years if it goes to trial.

And as for mandatory minimum sentences, I don't have a problem with them.

New York has strong gun laws for a reason.

Plax had been living in New York for a few years. He can't say he just moved there and had not yet had a chance to register his gun. He thought he was being "gangsta" carrying an unregistered loaded gun into a night club.

I still wanna know, if you're gonna be packing heat....why the hell would you wear sweatpants? You should be wearing jeans.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #39
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I thought he was going to get at most a week considering this is a big name guy.
Now the eagles get to sign him when he's reinstated
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #40
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Two years is still excessive.

In spite of his dumbassery, at the end of the day he's going to jail for having a gun. That's disturbing.
How is it disturbing? He should have registered it, and then maybe he wouldn't be in so much heat. Maybe he should have gotten his license to conceal a firearm in the state of New York, then there would be even less heat on him.

While we all have a right to bare arms, there are certain laws to have to follow to do so in a legal manner, otherwise anyone can run around with a gun without any legal ramifications for doing so.

Plaxico Burress doesn't have the excuse that he couldn't afford to register his gun or get his license to conceal, he was just to damn lazy and/or felt he was above the law due to playing pro football.

He found out wrong. Shot himself in the leg, and then in the foot when he turned down a plea deal that would have forced him to serve only three months.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote