Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #41
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Plex to Jail for 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Two years is still excessive.

In spite of his dumbassery, at the end of the day he's going to jail for having a gun. That's disturbing.
I'm not saying I don't agree with you (or the other sentiments thrown around in this thread) I'm just saying, the law was out there and he got busted.

It's kind of like if I get caught speeding in PA. There are signs that tell me the amout of my speeding fine if caught. I know speeding and firing a gun are two different things I'm just saying, the law was out there and Plex was an idiot.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #42
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

hahaha LMAO hes a dam fool should have goten the 3 1/2 yrs ...
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #43
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Where is Tony Dungy now?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #44
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
haha...the jokes on plax ....
No. Plax IS the joke
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #45
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I think its a bit much to give this guy 2 years. I understand the laws in NY, but you have to also understand the reason for those laws. They were designed to prevent people from using Handguns in the Commission of a Crime. The Minimum sentance was to Deter people who were Thinking About using a Gun in an unlawful way from actually carrying one around with them because if found on their possession, bang, 2 years.

Plax wasn't going out to shoot anyone, or rob a store, or car jack some fool. He had it on him because one of his fellow players had just been robbed at gun point, and he felt like he could have been a target. He takes the gun to the night club, then accidentally shoots himself.

Then the Mayor, in a Fury and a PR Grab declares "no quarter" and uses Plax as an example.

Tell you what, if the Giants Miss the playoffs, and the people of NY think "If we only had Plax" well the Mayor can kiss his re-election bid good bye.

Very Uncalled For ruling. Should have been fined and maybe some house arrest. INTENTION of CRIME was the reasoning behind the Gun Laws in NYC. Now we just throw that part of it out and throw this guy to the wolves so some slap happy Mayor can get some Press.

Totally Dumb.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #46
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I think its a bit much to give this guy 2 years. I understand the laws in NY, but you have to also understand the reason for those laws. They were designed to prevent people from using Handguns in the Commission of a Crime. The Minimum sentance was to Deter people who were Thinking About using a Gun in an unlawful way from actually carrying one around with them because if found on their possession, bang, 2 years.

Plax wasn't going out to shoot anyone, or rob a store, or car jack some fool. He had it on him because one of his fellow players had just been robbed at gun point, and he felt like he could have been a target. He takes the gun to the night club, then accidentally shoots himself.

Then the Mayor, in a Fury and a PR Grab declares "no quarter" and uses Plax as an example.

Tell you what, if the Giants Miss the playoffs, and the people of NY think "If we only had Plax" well the Mayor can kiss his re-election bid good bye.

Very Uncalled For ruling. Should have been fined and maybe some house arrest. INTENTION of CRIME was the reasoning behind the Gun Laws in NYC. Now we just throw that part of it out and throw this guy to the wolves so some slap happy Mayor can get some Press.

Totally Dumb.
But Plax already had the gun when he became a New York Giant. He didn't run out and buy it that day or the day before.

He had YEARS to register the gun and get a license to conceal it in the state of New York. He never did, leaving himself open to get charged with this stuff if ever caught with it.

He would be getting charged with the same things if he used the gun in self defense.

The law is the law. It is against the law to own an unregistered gun. It is against the law to conceal a gun without the proper license. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. It doesn't matter for what reasons you have it, to legally have it in the state of New York it has to be registered and you must have a license to carry a concealed gun.

Plax didn't. He also had a chance to take a plea deal that would have given him just three months in jail. He said no and now he's stuck with the two year deal they offered after the grand jury decided to indict.

This is nobody's fault but Plaxico's. He deserves the two years, IMHO.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #47
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

See, again, I disagree.

He had it registered in Florida right? So it isn't like he was a criminal to start with. He did the right thing initially with the gun. Your argument actually backs up mine. He didn't just run out and buy the gun that day, to commit a crime, he had the gun with zero incidents for years. The Law was designed to Punish Criminals who use guns or may use guns in the commission of a crime.

This is a clear case of a Law being used to punish someone it shouldn't be punishing. Sure, drug dealer gang bangers with guns in their hips should go to jail for carrying for 2 years. A guy who had a liscense in a different state, and didn't use the gun any other time, and simply didn't realize he needed to re-register the gun in NY, now goes to jail for 2 years?

Nothing but a snot nosed Mayor trying to make a name for himself and get re-elected after his TERM LIMITS are already over.

Bloomberg is a Snake and this case is a clear case of him abusing the law for his own personal gain.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #48
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
The Minimum sentance was to Deter people who were Thinking About using a Gun in an unlawful way from actually carrying one around with them because if found on their possession, bang, 2 years.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Mandatory minimum sentences are stupid because they're a blanket decision made at the political level, which acts as if all crimes are exactly the same as long as they fit a certain set of guidelines. Here in the real world, that's far from true.

Stupid as I think Burress is for this, it's is obviously a law that was intended for people like gang members and crack dealers, which is not what was going on here. It's pretty comical that the city officials are actually PROUD to announce that they're applying the law to the wrong situation and basically overriding common sense in order to go by the book. And even more comical that some people see that as a good thing. Something should've happened to Burress, but not this.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #49
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
See, again, I disagree.

He had it registered in Florida right? So it isn't like he was a criminal to start with. He did the right thing initially with the gun. Your argument actually backs up mine. He didn't just run out and buy the gun that day, to commit a crime, he had the gun with zero incidents for years. The Law was designed to Punish Criminals who use guns or may use guns in the commission of a crime.

This is a clear case of a Law being used to punish someone it shouldn't be punishing. Sure, drug dealer gang bangers with guns in their hips should go to jail for carrying for 2 years. A guy who had a liscense in a different state, and didn't use the gun any other time, and simply didn't realize he needed to re-register the gun in NY, now goes to jail for 2 years?

Nothing but a snot nosed Mayor trying to make a name for himself and get re-elected after his TERM LIMITS are already over.

Bloomberg is a Snake and this case is a clear case of him abusing the law for his own personal gain.
And then he chose not to register it in the state of New York, or get a license to conceal it in New York. Why he chose not to do so, I don't know.

Also, he had a chance to take a deal where he would have serves three months in jail. He would have probably served less than two months total. He turns that plea deal down banking on the case getting dropped or the grand jury not indicting him on the charges.

Surprise! They don't drop the case and the grand jury indicts. If convicted, he will get a minimum of 3 1/2 years in jail so he grabs the 2 year plea deal on the table.

IMHO, he deserves the two years for his total stupidity. Stupidity by not registering the gun and getting a license to conceal in the state of New York. Stupidity for toting the gun in a pair of sweat pants. Stupidity for not taking the 3 month plea deal.

He had to have known that in New York gun laws are very strict. He chose to ignore them or to never see what they were. He felt his status as a star football player for the Giants put him above the laws of the place he lived.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #50
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Also, he had a chance to take a deal where he would have serves three months in jail. He would have probably served less than two months total. He turns that plea deal down banking on the case getting dropped or the grand jury not indicting him on the charges.
Yeah, now THAT'S the stupid part.

You know, what they offered actually seems about right for the severity of what happened. I wonder if the DA routinely offers plea deals like that when 3 1/2 years obviously doesn't fit the situation. Kind of a way to circumvent the mandatory minimum sentence and give those people what they actually deserve. In that context, Burress would have no one to blame but himself.