Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Community > Introductions

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Packer Fan Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
Hey guys-

I just want to start out by saying I am a Packer Fan (As you couldn't have read that in the Title).

I want to say that I do respect the long Steeler tradition and the fans. In fact if it weren't for my Green Bay Packers I would be a Steeler Fan. I just love the grit and grime of the defense. I love the terrible towel and everything you guys stand for.

I hopped on this forum in search of advice. My buddies and I take one road trip per year to an away stadium. Naturally, when I saw we played in Pittsburgh this year we immediately decided that we were going. I bought a parking pass, reserved my hotel, and am still in the process of shopping for tickets. We will pay to sit in the lower sections because if you are spending the money it doesn't pay to have crap seats.

I am looking for advice as to what to do when we get to Pittsburgh. We are coming for 4 days so I was wondering if anyone had the scoop on local restaurants, bars, etc.

I can't wait to get there and check out the stadium. I am so jacked up and it is over 4 months away. We are very respectful of the stadiums we visit and can't wait to see the terrible towels fly. Any insight on what we will go through being an away fan at Heinz? We have been pretty lucky where we have went in years past (Except for Chicago of course). But just looking for some guidance. Thanks guys, I appreciate anything you can give me.

Signed,
Packer Fan
Welcome to Steelers Fever!

I've lived in the Burgh almost all my life and there is plenty to do here! Below are a few links that you might find helpful.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/thing...nnsylvania.htm

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/dinin...al_Recipes.htm

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
Hey guys-

I just want to start out by saying I am a Packer Fan (As you couldn't have read that in the Title).

I want to say that I do respect the long Steeler tradition and the fans. In fact if it weren't for my Green Bay Packers I would be a Steeler Fan. I just love the grit and grime of the defense. I love the terrible towel and everything you guys stand for.

I hopped on this forum in search of advice. My buddies and I take one road trip per year to an away stadium. Naturally, when I saw we played in Pittsburgh this year we immediately decided that we were going. I bought a parking pass, reserved my hotel, and am still in the process of shopping for tickets. We will pay to sit in the lower sections because if you are spending the money it doesn't pay to have crap seats.

I am looking for advice as to what to do when we get to Pittsburgh. We are coming for 4 days so I was wondering if anyone had the scoop on local restaurants, bars, etc.

I can't wait to get there and check out the stadium. I am so jacked up and it is over 4 months away. We are very respectful of the stadiums we visit and can't wait to see the terrible towels fly. Any insight on what we will go through being an away fan at Heinz? We have been pretty lucky where we have went in years past (Except for Chicago of course). But just looking for some guidance. Thanks guys, I appreciate anything you can give me.

Signed,
Packer Fan
Welcome, Nice to have you! To start off, I must say that I always respected the Packers way of playing the grid iron and the iconic image of the game such as Lambeau Field, and the great Vince Lombardi, and the first team ever to win a Super Bowl. The fans are second to none, and one can argue who has the better fans.. Pittsburgh or Green Bay? Respect runs high my man, especially here in Pittsburgh. (Good choice of a game to go to .. if there's one thing I would of liked to do in life would of been able to see Pittsburgh Vs Green Bay in Lambeau.)

You shouldn't have no problems landing tickets as to where to sit. Every seat in Heinz Field is beautiful and there are no bad seats. I pretty much sat in every section. To me, as a diehard, I love the high seats, crazy fans and the view is spectacular, as you can see the whole city of Pittsburgh in the open end. But such fans as yourself sporting the road team, would probably be down low to try to experience the whole scene.

Since most Pittsburgh fans have respect for Green Bay, don't expect to get heckled as much as say, New England, Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, or Baltimore. You'll find we are very respectful as fans of a caliber team such as yours, but you will also find we are very passionate, as yourself. If you find an asshole in the crowd, don't mark it up as all of Steelers Nation because we respect teams like Green Bay.

My suggestions as sight seeing would be a ride on the Gate Way Clipper, taking a stroll at Station Square, and being SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF STEELERS TAILGATING. It doesn't get much better than that. If you would like to eat, check out Bettis's restaurant just a couple blocks from the stadium or Promanti's, which is located in the strip.

Have fun being in the Burgh, you will def experience a hardcore, knock you on your ass Football Sunday. Have fun, and may the best team win.. (Which would be us..haha) Hope to see you stick around.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Mutual respect!!

An NFL fan has to respect Green Bay and their fans. Especially a Steeler fan. Similar cultures.

For the record, one of my favorite games was the Christmas 95 game when you guys won the division on us. I have always been sort of amused by that Thigpen "drop" in the end zone and Cowher's "Oh gosh darnit" smirk with the twinkle in his eye. The game was meaningless to us. Sort of a "Merry Christmas". Have it on VHS.

Anyway, my family moved away from the City of Champions in the late 50s. I get back on business from time to time. Outside of the stadia on the North shore of the Allegheny, my favorite walk around area is the Strip. And my favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh is Lidia's in the Strip. http://www.lidias-pittsburgh.com/ That's not Pittsburgh fare per se, it's just a good restaurant, and I like Lidia. Rumor has it that Ben likes it too.

I was weaned on Vincent's pizza, and have been back as recently as last fall. IMHO, the best pie on the planet. Way off the beaten path though, and perhaps a bit funky for outa-towners.

Enjoy your visit.

Oh yeah, try to stay at the Sheraton in Station Square and ask for a room facing the city or Heinz Field. Spectacular!!

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

I once spent a week in Green Bay for business. It was late October and the weather everyday was sunny and in the mid 60's. Everybody was so kind. Everywhere I'd go strangers would smile and say hello. From northeast Ohio I'm not use to that. I have to say it was the most pleasant week I've ever spent. Very beautiful little city.

Then I crossed over to Minneapolis and as soon as I hit the Minny/Wisky boarder it started snowing. Coincidence? I think not.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
packfntk
Water Boy

Member Number: 14012

Wow thanks for all the kind words guys. It is great to hear that Packer fans are respected. We truly do respect Steeler fans as well.

Well I better break up the group hug here.

Vincent- I was at that game too. One of the better games I have been to.

StainlessStill- We bought a Gold A Lot pass. Is that where the main tailgating happens at Heinz? We are not bad at tailgating ourselves.

Funny shit.
packfntk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,105 Posts

The incline is a must do.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
Steel-Bryan
Starter

Member Number: 13188

GO PACKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

What hotel are you staying at?

I found that if you stay anywhere close to downtown, you are going to have to pay 20 something or more a day for parking.

Also, as an outsider coming to the city, I found (if you are interested in the history) the Heinz History Center to be a GREAT introduction to the area. It'll take you about 2-3 hours to walk through the whole thing if you are just perusing. Some of it is quite interesting.

Also, after going to Primanti's a couple of times, I found that my wife and I like Peppy's as much or more. It also is in the strip district... which MUST be done on a Saturday morning.... I see most people here kinda skipped over the district itself. I think many of the "natives" don't realize just how unique it is... as it is right in their backyard. make SURE you spend a couple hours just walking through the strip district. Go into all the little ethnic grocery stores. Check out the sports stuff on the sidewalks and take note of how all different ethnicities are playing the same song! It, in a nutshell, well tell you everything you need to know about Pittsburgh, IMO... (hey locals...am I wrong here?)

Enjoy the trip... I sure am jealous!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
Mamaduck43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 592

I just moved from Colorado Springs to Denmark, WI... I have gotten some weird looks from other folks in my building when they see the Steelers wreath on my door, and when they see me in Steelers colors almost all the time, but the only grief I have gotten is from my Son in law and his family.... They are all lifelong Packer Fans, but what I have found is that there is a mutual respect for both teams..... And I cannot wait until December 20 - - - - I am tentatively planning to attend - - the 20th is my WI daughters birthday, and we just might make the trip.....

I attended the Packer/Steeler game 3 seasons ago at Lambeau, and it was truly one of the high points of my life.... Amazing experience.....

The fan bases of both teams bear this out, too.... You will really enjoy the 'Burgh - - it is a great town......

Last edited by Mamaduck43; 08-10-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: repetative sentence....
Mamaduck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #20
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

U'll find nothing but TOTAL RESPECT 4 the Packs & their fans, here. Welcome & enjoy.