Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Views of the Steelers loss to Washington

I havent heard anyone talk about Redman.Did he play FB?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

And this is one game where I can honestly say the refs sucked.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
stillers4me
Living Legend

And now the view from the other sideline............

Results are mixed for defensive unit

Bob Cohn (Contact)

Ben Roethlisberger stood on the soggy Pittsburgh Steelers sideline, posing no threat to the Washington Redskins in a preseason game Saturday night at FedEx Field. The two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback was out with a sore Achilles tendon, the result of a practice mishap Thursday.

Roethlisberger is expected to be OK, but directing the Steelers' offense in his place was backup Charlie Batch, a 12-year veteran who missed all of last season with a broken collarbone. Advantage, Redskins, right?

Not necessarily. Washington's first-team defense was stout on its first series but something less than that on the second, when Pittsburgh took a 7-3 lead before the regulars came out.

"Their starters beat our starters - pure and simple," Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache said. "We didn't make any plays, they beat us on third down and we made poor decisions. Other than that, it was delightful."

On the Steelers' first possession, the Redskins defense rendered Batch ineffective. The quarterback was hurried by Albert Haynesworth, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin, defensive end Andre Carter and rookie linebacker Brian Orakpo. The Steelers managed just 6 net yards despite a shaky unnecessary roughness penalty against cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

But with the Redskins leading 3-0, the Steelers' second possession had a different outcome. Batch directed a nine-play, 50-yard drive for a touchdown scored with 53 seconds left in the first quarter.

Dodging a blitz, Batch hit Super Bowl hero Santonio Holmes for 16 yards on third-and-13. A few plays later, Batch - given time - found Hines Ward over the middle for 24 yards on third-and-10, beating Hall and safety LaRon Landry.

A 10-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller set up first-and-goal at the 3, and Willie Parker outran everybody to the end zone.

Batch, who played briefly last week against Arizona, was 5-for-14 for 63 yards.

In last week's preseason opener, the Ravens on their first series went 67 yards in 13 plays and kicked a field goal against the Redskins' No. 1 defense, which was missing Haynesworth and cornerback Carlos Rogers.

Carter isn't concerned, however.

"A work in progress," he said. "Once the New York game comes [in the season opener], that's when the real bullets fly."

The 6-foot-6, 350-pound Haynesworth came out after four plays and reappeared only briefly.

"It was good to get out there tonight and knock some of the rust off," he said. "We have all the time in the world. We just need some time to gel together, and we can accomplish a lot of great things. We could be one of the best defenses in the league."

Orakpo played the entire first half and looked impressive for the second straight week. The 13th pick, whom the Redskins are converting from defensive end to linebacker, rushed the passer from a variety of locations and caused plenty of trouble.

"I'm reading stuff, and I'm a lot quicker and not playing as hesitant as I was before," he said.

Said Haynesworth: "Brian created some great pressure off the edge. He was all over the field and made a lot of plays. He is a great young talent."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...efensive-unit/

Orakpo looked awesome. He's going to a great player for them.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Orakpo looked awesome. He's going to a great player for them.
He lifted Tony Hills 2ft off the ground - did make the block though

video

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...oLiftingOL.flv
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
He lifted Tony Hills 2ft off the ground - did make the block though

video

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...oLiftingOL.flv
That was the play I was thinking of...