Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default The Bedford Boys.

I apologize beforehand if my poems are getting old.

I have been reading and studying up on WWII and our "Greatest Generation" and so many of the stories move me to try and express my admiration.

__________________________________________________ ____


Bedford VA. lost 26 young men during World War II...It was only a town of 3,200 people. No other town paid as high a price per capita as this small town, which is why the National D-Day memorial is there.

http://historicvaredcross.org/assets...es/D-Day13.jpg

To put it into percpective...if New York City would have lost the same percentage of its soldiers, 45,000 young men from the city have died during the invasion.

To thank this small town for its sacrifice, France sent a stone from Normandy Beach to the citizens with the names of their 26 soldiers who had died in WWII engaved on its face. It now resides near the National Memorial.


The Bedford Boys

There is a stone, a humble gift, from the beach at Normandy
Sent to a town, that gave so much to keep their country free.
Etched in its face, are the engraved names of 26 young men.
Who landed on that bloody shore, and ne'er came home again.

They were citizen soldiers, National Guard, and proud to be a part
Of a greater good, an honorable task, and served with eager heart.
They were childhood buddies, high school friends, living side by side
They were raised together, grew up together, and together they all died.

The “Bedford Boys”, like many, responded to the call
They gave so much, they gave up much, and 26 gave all.
They were the 116th Infantry, most served in company “A”.
9 out of 10 died on that beach, on that dreadful day.

While their broken bodies crumbled in the surf and foam
Their families and their loved ones were left worrying at home.
Then the word came trickling in… the town had lost a son.
Then it was two ..now five..now ten..each hour another one.

By the time they had stopped counting, no tears were left unshed
No other town was hit so hard, with 26 men dead.
Just a small and patriotic town, who paid so high a price .
Who watered the tree of liberty, with the blood of sacrifice.

So there is a stone, a humble gift, from a beach at Normandy
Still in a town which gave so much, for the cause of liberty.
Etched in its face, are engraved the names of 26 young men,
It is cared for by the loved ones who will never see them again.

If you get a chance to see the town, take time to see the stone.
Read each name, and please reflect, of the heroism shown.
..and if like me, you’ve served your land, and wish to give tribute.
Then stand at full attention, and give them a salute.

***If you know a WWII Vet...take time to sit with them...and let them talk...just listen***

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 08-26-2009 at 10:40 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Bedford Boys.

That reminds me of Lincoln's letter to Mrs. Bixby...she lost 2 of her 5 sons in the Civil War (although Lincoln, at the time, believed she lost all 5).

Ironically, she was a Confederate sympathizer, disliked Lincoln and threw the letter away.

Anyway, here's Lincoln's letter...don't mean to upstage or anything just thought it fit...

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: The Bedford Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
That reminds me of Lincoln's letter to Mrs. Bixby...she lost 2 of her 5 sons in the Civil War (although Lincoln, at the time, believed she lost all 5).

Ironically, she was a Confederate sympathizer, disliked Lincoln and threw the letter away.

Anyway, here's Lincoln's letter...don't mean to upstage or anything just thought it fit...

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln
If you are a fan of Band of Brothers , you may recall that Don Malarkey and Skip Monk were Friends of Fritz Niland...Fritz was one of 4 brothers...the rest were thought killed and Fritz went home...it was the story that inspired "Saving Private Ryan"
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Bedford Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
If you are a fan of Band of Brothers , you may recall that Don Malarkey and Skip Monk were Friends of Fritz Niland...Fritz was one of 4 brothers...the rest were thought killed and Fritz went home...it was the story that inspired "Saving Private Ryan"
Oh yeah...definitely. But I like the simple elegance and eloquence of Lincoln's letter and like to leave it as a standalone kind of thing.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer
 
Kittyfish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Posts: 199
Gender: Female
Member Number: 5212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: The Bedford Boys.

Dang it, LLT, you've done it again. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I truly think this is wonderful. I understand you've never been published at all - have you considered perhaps submitting some of your work to a magazine or something? Seriously, dude, what have you got to lose?
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: The Bedford Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
Dang it, LLT, you've done it again. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I truly think this is wonderful. I understand you've never been published at all - have you considered perhaps submitting some of your work to a magazine or something? Seriously, dude, what have you got to lose?
LOL...my PRIDE!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts